SGU - StarGate Universe premier
Quote:I guess you missed the big part of the plot that HUMANS ARE ALL OVER THE UNIVERSE, because they're used as hosts by the Goa'uld evil parasite race that has enslaved them, except for earth, that rebeled and buried their Stargate.

No, maybe I'm one of the few people who actually enjoyed the movie despite my pet peaves. In the original movie, the evil alien became a parasite on Humans because Humans were cheap and easy to repair, thus effectively rendering him immortal. He was, surprise, quite humanoid himself. I'm not sure how the species became a parasitic worm in SG1, but all they did was make a Human-worm hybrid.

None of that even addresses the really annoying thing for me about SG1 that every planet with a stargate is a lush, green, Canada-like environment. I know, I know. It's filmed in Canada.

Quote:The production cost of doing a show featuring actual alien looking aliens would probably make the project unfeasible (or it would turn out like those awful Sci-Fi channel made for TV movies with terrible CGI/rubber suit aliens).

Production costs. I understand.

Quote:I mean, I liked Kosh, but he was basically a shower curtain. Not sure how many times you can get away with that

I liked the concept of Kosh, not necessarily how he was presented episode to episode. Kosh was a truly alien alien.

Quote:And English, well, I'm not sure how many episodes you can get out of, "Oh great another race of people we can only communicate with via hand gestures". That's where they just need to throw out the whole "we have universal translators...Asgard technology...very fancy...next!" explanation and be done with it.

Got it. Understood.

The bottom line is this:

There is no reason to assume the usual television sci-fi paradigm that alien species are going to be anything like us in any way shape or form, with the need to interact with us as biological entities for any reason, even assuming identical biochemical processes. I completely understand the many reasons why the paradigm exists and I am capable of following plot devices that circumvent the biological reality that the paradigm itself is flawed. I'm even capable of enjoying shows that follow the usual paradigm which, currently, is every show ever made.

Like I said, somebody, someday, is going to make a truly original series that pulls it off.
Moristans: err

What the f*** Skelas - I know this is NSFW, but I coudn't watch this at work...

-Orsun
We need to popularize anime in America. Americans have this sense that animation = kids show but the reality is animation = the freedom to do whatever the hell you want with equal production costs. Animated SG-1 could visit truly alien worlds every episode and it wouldn't cost any more than normal. (And while animation is very popular in Japan, it seems like about 90% of anime shows involve ninjas, usually in a fantasy setting. Not a lot of Japanese anime I know of that's sci-fi, and none of that involves aliens.)
Sci Fi Anime

Cowboy Bebop
Robotech- Aliens
Macross, Macross Plus, Macross 2 - Aliens
Southern Cross - Aliens
Genesis Climber MOSPEADA - Aliens
neon genesis evangelion
FLCL - Aliens
Trigun
Lain
Blue Gender - Kinda Alienish
Crest of Stars - Aliens

Plenty of aliens in anime, they are just usually fighting large humanoid robots.

Sure there is more, thats just crap I saw before I largely grew out of my Anime phase. (I do sometimes go back and watch the better ones like Bebop and Fullmetal)
I should probably mention I don't like mecha. :-p

I did like Cowboy Bebop, though. That was basically the anime that got me started on watching anime. What I've seen of Ghost in the Shell has been good too - sci-fi but no aliens.

I'll have to look into some of those other ones.
Haha they are basically all mecha.. Japs have an unhealthy obsession with giant robots. I dont know if you remember Robotech as a kid but the three below it were completely unrelated shows the american company spliced together to make the series Wink

Teh first ghos t in the shell movie was great, never got that much into the series.

Lains like that.

Trigun can be goofy but has great episodes, its kinda sci-fi westerny feel as the colony ship crashed on a desertish planet.

FLCL is awesome but completely random. Obviously on a lot of drugs while writing.

Blue Gender is mecha too but more time out of it, guy gets out of cryostasis to find planet taken over by aliens, and the remaining humans live in orbit trying to take it back.. Good show but he is a bit crying in his cheerios at the beginning but he develops into a man eventually.
I think CGI is popular and accessible enough. I just think it's more the case of a general lack of motivation to bring anything truly original or groundbreaking to television. I certainly don't think it's a matter of people not realizing the pardigm is fundamentally flawed. We've seen enough characters and episodes that address the issue. It's just a matter of the perception that if it ain't broke, don't fix it.
Moristans: err

What the f*** Skelas - I know this is NSFW, but I coudn't watch this at work...

-Orsun
As marketable as the episodes with people trying to figure out how to talk to the floating gas cloud creatures are, its less marketable than orion slave girls.
Moristans Wrote:
Quote:I guess you missed the big part of the plot that HUMANS ARE ALL OVER THE UNIVERSE, because they're used as hosts by the Goa'uld evil parasite race that has enslaved them, except for earth, that rebeled and buried their Stargate.

No, maybe I'm one of the few people who actually enjoyed the movie despite my pet peaves. In the original movie, the evil alien became a parasite on Humans because Humans were cheap and easy to repair, thus effectively rendering him immortal. He was, surprise, quite humanoid himself. I'm not sure how the species became a parasitic worm in SG1, but all they did was make a Human-worm hybrid.

None of that even addresses the really annoying thing for me about SG1 that every planet with a stargate is a lush, green, Canada-like environment. I know, I know. It's filmed in Canada.

You also missed the part that Goa'uld can take different hosts, which play a part in the personality, similar to how what host an Alien will determine what it comes out as.

You also missed the part that the Stargates were created and placed by an ancient race (The Ancients) 10k years ago. Why do you think they'd place them on lush planets? Because they're humanoid. There were several episodes where, since due to time, the planet had undergone changes and was no longer 'lush'. SG1 visits many non lush planets, including several deserts, volcanic, etc etc. They also start experimenting with moving Stargates from their original locations and end up making a 'gate bridge' to another Galaxy..which leads to the Atlantis franchise.

1-7: Cold Lazarus - Sg1 enters desert planet, and encounters a lifeform that takes control of O'Niels body to learn about humans.
1-17: Enigma - SG1 rescues technologically advanced Tollan scouting party from death on a dying planet
1-19: Tin Man - planets radiation shield has collapsed and previous scouting party has now gone insane due to radiation
3-52: Demons - SG1 encounters the first humanoid lifeform used by Goa'ulds.

just a few examples
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Stargate_SG-1_episodes">http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_St ... 1_episodes</a><!-- m -->
[should not have shot the dolphin]
Diggles takes insults to his mediocre sci fi programs very seriously, watch out. Show woulda been better if they showed Mcguyver fixing a star gate with duct tape and a paper clip.

Anyway, in Stargate mvoie when he dies he reverts back to some alien form which would make no sense if he was one of the worm symbiotes - i think thats what Mori was referring to.