Windows 7 Comments
I'm really liking Windows 7 so far. Its fast, it doesn't seem to hog memory and the UI updates seem to be actual improvements to usability and interface-use speed instead of just window dressing. So far, every old program I have is working with the exception of one strange linker error I'm seeing when building old VC++ projects in VS 2008. All my other favorite software and utilities from compressions software to VMWare are working fine. I really can't believe that, so far, my only compatibility problem (that linker problem) is with a Microsoft product. So all and all, I'm real pleased.

Does anyone else have any more experience with the OS now? Are you liking it?

PS I do have a non-Windows 7 complaint which was that MS left Windows XP x64 users high and dry in terms of an upgrade path, but oh well. That's in the past now that I'm freshly installed.
"Hamilton is really a Colossus to the anti republican party. Without numbers he is an host within himself. They have got themselves into a defile where they might be finished but too much security on the republican part will give time to his talents and indefatigableness to extricate them. We have had only middling performances to oppose to him. In truth when he comes forward there is nobody but yourself who can meet him. His adversaries having begun the attack he has the advantage of answering them and remains unanswered himself. For God's sake take up your pen and give a fundamental reply to Curtius and Camillas" - Thomas Jefferson to James Madison
I've been using it for weeks at home and work, and love it. Everything that the original Vista should have been.

My only gripes are more work related. EMC still doesn't support VPN software for Vista OR Windows 7, so I can't dial in from home. Also they are behind on the game and still use Rational products that don't work on Vista/Windows 7. They even bitch about adding a Windows 2008/7 machine to the corporate domain - losers.
Ex SWG, L2, CoH, Wow, and War
Currently PvPing in the stock market
Grieve Wrote:I've been using it for weeks at home and work, and love it. Everything that the original Vista should have been.

My only gripes are more work related. EMC still doesn't support VPN software for Vista OR Windows 7, so I can't dial in from home. Also they are behind on the game and still use Rational products that don't work on Vista/Windows 7. They even bitch about adding a Windows 2008/7 machine to the corporate domain - losers.

Can you load a Windows XP VM on your Windows 7 machine at home so you can VPN into work?
"Hamilton is really a Colossus to the anti republican party. Without numbers he is an host within himself. They have got themselves into a defile where they might be finished but too much security on the republican part will give time to his talents and indefatigableness to extricate them. We have had only middling performances to oppose to him. In truth when he comes forward there is nobody but yourself who can meet him. His adversaries having begun the attack he has the advantage of answering them and remains unanswered himself. For God's sake take up your pen and give a fundamental reply to Curtius and Camillas" - Thomas Jefferson to James Madison
I've been using Windows 7 on my work laptop for a month and change now and have been very pleased with it. It's the first Microsoft OS I've installed where I did not have to download any additional drivers, it recognized all my devices and automatically installed functioning drivers (Lenovo Thinkpad.)

I'll be installing it on my main PC at home in the next couple of weeks, so that will be more of a real-world test for me.

Grieve: Is the VPN incompatibility issue a 64-bit thing? We added in an SSL vpn to accommodate our 64 bit users since the old ipsec Cisco one was a no go.
dilznic Wrote:I've been using Windows 7 on my work laptop for a month and change now and have been very pleased with it. It's the first Microsoft OS I've installed where I did not have to download any additional drivers, it recognized all my devices and automatically installed functioning drivers (Lenovo Thinkpad.)

I'll be installing it on my main PC at home in the next couple of weeks, so that will be more of a real-world test for me.

Grieve: Is the VPN incompatibility issue a 64-bit thing? We added in an SSL vpn to accommodate our 64 bit users since the old ipsec Cisco one was a no go.

Speaking of laptops, have you noticed that hibernation or power save features actually work and work quickly? I imagine that there are going to be some big power savings once the world upgrades to Windows 7 and doesn't need to disable the power save features that didn't work well in older versions.
Yeah, EMC uses the old Cisco one. Not a 64-bit issue, because 32-bit doesn't work either. The XP version won't work in Vista or W7.

Is it possible to use a different VPN app? I assumed I'd need to run the same thing EMC are running on the server side.
Grieve Wrote:Yeah, EMC uses the old Cisco one. Not a 64-bit issue, because 32-bit doesn't work either. The XP version won't work in Vista or W7.

Is it possible to use a different VPN app? I assumed I'd need to run the same thing EMC are running on the server side.

Not sure which you are using but my experience with the Cisco one was that software solved it unless it was so old that there wasn't this option and EMC would then have to upgrade.

I would imagine that most companies stopped spending on capital improvements a couple of years ago and soon will need to upgrade big soon. I know companies like JP Morgan are like this.
Maranatha!

Maranatha\Amarantha\Dolmori\Helojoki

Riz says, "That's made of pure bacon and win!"
Would it be worth it to upgrade to 64bit Windows 7?

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.ncix.com/products/index.php?sku=27785&vpn=BX80570E8500&manufacture=Intel">http://www.ncix.com/products/index.php? ... ture=Intel</a><!-- m -->

That is my processor. And I have 4 gb of ram, If i get the 64 bit, I will get another 4 gb of ram.
I also have a GTX 260 Video card.

Is there any real benefit of going 64bit vs 32 bit?
Kakarat Keys ~ Thief ~ Guild Wars 2
Kakarat ~ Shaman ~ WoW ~
Kakarat ~ Witch Hunter ~ WAR:AoR
Riona ~ Knight of the Blazing Sun ~ WAR:AoR
Kakarat ~ Swashbuckler ~ EQ2 ~ Venekor
Eef Eigten[F-18]~ 60 Aracoix Rogue ~ Shadowbane
Kakarat ~ 60 Ogre Warrior ~ EQ ~ VZ
Kakarat Wrote:Would it be worth it to upgrade to 64bit Windows 7?

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.ncix.com/products/index.php?sku=27785&vpn=BX80570E8500&manufacture=Intel">http://www.ncix.com/products/index.php? ... ture=Intel</a><!-- m -->

That is my processor. And I have 4 gb of ram, If i get the 64 bit, I will get another 4 gb of ram.

Bear in mind that with 32-bit, you can only use 3GB of your 4GB of RAM. The other 1GB is wasted. Plus more and more apps are available in 64-bit versions these days, and an app optimized for 64-bit is generally going to be faster than one optimized for 32-bit. On the down side, sometimes 32-bit apps run slower under 64-bit Windows than 32-bit Windows. And older drivers might not work. But overall I'd say go for it - the ability to use more than 3GB alone makes it worth it.
Grieve Wrote:
Kakarat Wrote:Would it be worth it to upgrade to 64bit Windows 7?

Bear in mind that with 32-bit, you can only use 3GB of your 4GB of RAM. The other 1GB is wasted. Plus more and more apps are available in 64-bit versions these days, and an app optimized for 64-bit is generally going to be faster than one optimized for 32-bit. On the down side, sometimes 32-bit apps run slower under 64-bit Windows than 32-bit Windows. And older drivers might not work. But overall I'd say go for it - the ability to use more than 3GB alone makes it worth it.

What Grieve said. Its about addressable memory by the OS, no matter how much memory you have. Also I find it strange that Microslop even offers 32 bit anymore. It makes very little sense to me with the exception of hanging on to some old driver / software that most peopel should be thinking about upgrasding anyway.

If people have old hardware they should not upgrade. They should be running xp with the latest service packs, and stick with it. If the hardware is new then everyone should be on 64 bit. It boggles the mind why they are selling a "new" OS that is 32 bit.
Maul, the Bashing Shamie

"If you want to change the world, be that change."
--Gandhi

[Image: maull2.gif]