Where the Wild Things Are (for parents or those who've been)
Speaking of "Is Art Limited" did anyone see "Where the wild Things Are" yet?

I don't want to say anything yet until I know if people are planning to see it, don't care at all about it (in which case I can talk about it), or plan to take kids.
"Hamilton is really a Colossus to the anti republican party. Without numbers he is an host within himself. They have got themselves into a defile where they might be finished but too much security on the republican part will give time to his talents and indefatigableness to extricate them. We have had only middling performances to oppose to him. In truth when he comes forward there is nobody but yourself who can meet him. His adversaries having begun the attack he has the advantage of answering them and remains unanswered himself. For God's sake take up your pen and give a fundamental reply to Curtius and Camillas" - Thomas Jefferson to James Madison
Took the girlfriends nephew to see it, I thought it was pretty good - would have been better if I didn't have to sit through a German dubbing, though Smile.

Some people in the media whined it is too dark for kids, but they all looked happy when they left. Nobody died and it had a happy ending. And my perception on that topic is warped since my favorite movie as a 6 year old was Excalibur...

Certainly not as twisted as Willy Wonka was and most of us saw that as a kid. And of course killing Optimus Prime was emotionally scaring.
I really want to want to see it, but I think it might be a bit much for our 4 and 6 years olds. Sounds like far more adults went to see it than kids. Loved the book when I was a kid.
Ex SWG, L2, CoH, Wow, and War
Currently PvPing in the stock market
I'll have to go see it. If this thread starts to divulge too many details or slanted opinions put a warning in the title please and I'll defer participation until after viewing.. Thanks =)
Caveatum & Blhurr D'Vizhun.
[Image: glarebear_av.gif]
[Image: sterb037.gif]
My wife and I were just discussing this last night coincidentally. We were wondering if we should bring our 4 year old. He likes the book but we were concerned about some of the negative comments about how appropriate the movie actually is for kids that young.

Too many games to fit in signature....
Arsilon Wrote:My wife and I were just discussing this last night coincidentally. We were wondering if we should bring our 4 year old. He likes the book but we were concerned about some of the negative comments about how appropriate the movie actually is for kids that young.

I think the movie is more for adults who read the book when they were young then it is for really young children. I'm sure its fine for older children (it is PG after all).

Semi Spoiler for parents below:

I took a 3 year old and a 6 year old and I wish I didn't. I figured, "this is where the wild things are it can't be bad for young kids." I loved the book when I was young so I wanted to like the movie but it was probably a little to much for my young children. They both wanted to leave at 3-4 different points in the movie. I was torn between leaving and making sure they saw the ending so they knew the boy didn't get eaten (thus averting nightmares).

More spoilage:
I agree with a lot of reviews. The movie could have showed the darker emotions without ripping arms off and showing the bones of previous dead "kings." Granted, you're supposed to say "this is all in the mind of an 8 year old" so its more innocent then sinister, but try telling that to a 3-6 year old. Which brings me to my biggest complaint: They upped the age of "Max" from a 5ish year old to an 8+ year old. 8 Year olds rip arms off and are fine with seeing the remains of people, i.e. piles of bones, but I don't think 5 year olds are.
"Hamilton is really a Colossus to the anti republican party. Without numbers he is an host within himself. They have got themselves into a defile where they might be finished but too much security on the republican part will give time to his talents and indefatigableness to extricate them. We have had only middling performances to oppose to him. In truth when he comes forward there is nobody but yourself who can meet him. His adversaries having begun the attack he has the advantage of answering them and remains unanswered himself. For God's sake take up your pen and give a fundamental reply to Curtius and Camillas" - Thomas Jefferson to James Madison
Jakensama Wrote:Took the girlfriends nephew to see it, I thought it was pretty good - would have been better if I didn't have to sit through a German dubbing, though Smile.

Some people in the media whined it is too dark for kids, but they all looked happy when they left. Nobody died and it had a happy ending. And my perception on that topic is warped since my favorite movie as a 6 year old was Excalibur...

Certainly not as twisted as Willy Wonka was and most of us saw that as a kid. And of course killing Optimus Prime was emotionally scaring.

What age do you think max was in the book vs movie?
The kid's 12 in real life but I agree could pass between 8-10 in the movie.

I haven't opened the book in years so I don't recall how old the kids are.

Agree I probably wouldn't take a 3-4 year old to it, but it was rated PG so I think it's certainly suitable for 10 year olds and up.
Jakensama Wrote:The kid's 12 in real life but I agree could pass between 8-10 in the movie.

I haven't opened the book in years so I don't recall how old the kids are.

Agree I probably wouldn't take a 3-4 year old to it, but it was rated PG so I think it's certainly suitable for 10 year olds and up.

Yep, I'd agree. 10+ is no problem. Under 7-8 is probably too young though.
Did you enjoy the movie at all Dustie?
Jakensama Wrote:Did you enjoy the movie at all Dustie?

Me personally? Yes, I loved it. I just was let down that I couldn't really share it with my kids in a more kid friendly way.

More semi Spoilers:

Ok, putting rug rats aside here are my questions:

1. Obviously (I think .. right?) each of the monsters is some part of Max's emotional makeup (and desires). There's fear, hope, love, insecurity, desire for adventure, desire for attention, etc etc. Some monsters are composites (Carol), some are fairly focused (the goat who no one listens to). What do we learn at the end? Was it "the greatest of these is love" type thing? What makes it all work out is love?

2. There's a lot of conflict inside Max. He wants a world where "only the things that you want to have happen, happen." He's learning that there's no such place and that different people, emotions, ideas will always conflict with other people, emotions, ideas. Are Bob and Terry just props to illustrate some of these conflicts or do they represent something themselves -- i.e. those kids that tell jokes which everyone laughs at even though they don't get it?

3. Since the monsters ate all of their previous kings, does this mean that deep down, we're all pretty barbaric and our nature (at least as a youth) tends toward the darker eat-people side then the lighter get-along-with-people side?

I have more questions, but I need to go to a meeting.
hah, meeting canceled.

4. Is KW Max's sister? I think I might have heard that somewhere and it makes sense.

5. Don't you think that the movie veered off from the book in terms of the "going home" scene? Apparently the author was happy with it (he gave it his full blessing) but I feel that the send off scene didn't jive with the book (I think Sendak was being gracious). All the monsters wanted max to stay in the book whereas the movie depicts a scene where most of the monsters want max to leave, some are sad, and maybe one or two want him to stay. I mean, this is all going on in Max's imagination right? Would he really kick himself out?