New TV - Plasma, LCD, or LED - Discuss!
well PS3 has its limitations too. Hell up until about 2 weeks ago, you couldnt stream Netflix through them, and even now you need a disk running in it, which is kinda lame.
Breand Wrote:Plopping 2.4k down on a TV with no wireless capability makes Baby Jesus cry. Glad you went with Panasonic and plasma tho, Im very happy with mine.

Naw, Jesus would have done what I did - plopped down 2.4k on a TV based on itsexceptional quality, and then bought a Roku for $99 to take care of wireless, Netflix, Amazon on demand, Pandora, etc. The only thing he'd be crying about is that the TV won't be delivered until the middle of next week.
~ The Duskwood Gankster ~
WoW & Beyond: Grizzle / Grizol
EQ/SB: Rafkin / Kriticos / Dudain
My TV has a Ethernet connection, but its a only purpose is firmware upgrades. It does have a USB connection to view pics and such, but it cant browse the web.....

I have an Xbox that I watch netflix with, but it doesn't do Blue ray. I have been eye's the Samsung blue ray stand alone unit that not only has Netflix but blockbuster rentals as well. I was thinking about the play station but honestly I dont hardly ever play games on the xbox. Its just media player for me.
Maul, the Bashing Shamie

"If you want to change the world, be that change."
--Gandhi

[Image: maull2.gif]
well if you just wanted a media player you should have gotten the PS3 instead of the 360 Wink
Breand Wrote:well if you just wanted a media player you should have gotten the PS3 instead of the 360 Wink

Hrm. I would suggest getting two devices - something like the Panasonic BD60 that is a better player than the PS3, and then the Roku for wireless and media, such as Netflix. I picked both of these up for $215, while the PS3 costs $300.

This set-up makes Baby Jesus happy! =)
well I only have 2 HDMI inputs to my TV, so wire mangement is key, and well Im a gamer so having a PS3 is a nice bonus.
Breand Wrote:well if you just wanted a media player you should have gotten the PS3 instead of the 360 Wink

No way. PS3 is only now catching up. media streaming from windows Vista media center, Netflix, video rental and purchase, With the exception of Blue ray, which I don't "have to have".
Maul, the Bashing Shamie

--Gandhi

Yeah but they are constantly updating the PS3 with new changes. It's basically a PC. With a standalone BluRay player and Roku, you are stuck with whatever features you got at purchase. The things my PS3 does now that it didn't do the day it was released, is staggering. Patching a PS3 is simple.
Breand Wrote:Yeah but they are constantly updating the PS3 with new changes. It's basically a PC. With a standalone BluRay player and Roku, you are stuck with whatever features you got at purchase. The things my PS3 does now that it didn't do the day it was released, is staggering. Patching a PS3 is simple.

Sorry, but you dont know what your talking about. Im not "xbox fanboy" but your obviously dont have one.

Xbox really is a PC. And it gets updates with new functionality all the time. Just got one this week added all the face book twiter etc to it. Again, Im not trying to get into an argument over whats better, cause I dont really care. But your not informed.
Maul, the Bashing Shamie

--Gandhi

grizzle Wrote:

Hrm. I would suggest getting two devices - something like the Panasonic BD60 that is a better player than the PS3, and then the Roku for wireless and media, such as Netflix. I picked both of these up for $215, while the PS3 costs $300.

This set-up makes Baby Jesus happy! =)

Yea what I was looking at was the Samsung that has the netflix, Pandora and blockbuster rental software inside the unit.

Was definitely cheaper then a PS3, and the reviews im hearing about the PS3 blue ray player isnt really positive. So I will probably buy a blue ray player with these addon's, and move my xbox upstairs to where my gaming PC is.
Maul, the Bashing Shamie

--Gandhi

Vanraw Wrote:
Breand Wrote:Yeah but they are constantly updating the PS3 with new changes. It's basically a PC. With a standalone BluRay player and Roku, you are stuck with whatever features you got at purchase. The things my PS3 does now that it didn't do the day it was released, is staggering. Patching a PS3 is simple.

Sorry, but you dont know what your talking about. Im not "xbox fanboy" but your obviously dont have one.

Xbox really is a PC. And it gets updates with new functionality all the time. Just got one this week added all the face book twiter etc to it. Again, Im not trying to get into an argument over whats better, cause I dont really care. But your not informed.

I own both. They are both very similar except PS3 has BluRay built in and XBox has external HD DVD, which is dead now. PS3 also has a better power supply, cooler and built in, compared to the external hot brick of the XBox. As for the BluRay on the PS3 not getting good reviews I can't say. I like the picture and the controls and menus just fine.
"You cannot invade the mainland United States. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass." - Admiral Isoroku Yamamoto

Every citizen should be a soldier. This was the case with the Greeks and Romans, and must be that of every free state.
-Thomas Jefferson

Spread my work ethic not my wealth.
Vanraw Wrote:

Err where in any sentence I wrote did I mention an Xbox? I admit Im kluging yours and Grizzles points together. I was specifically talking about standalone Blurays and Roku boxes. I am well aware that 360s can be upgraded. Im also aware that they have a 54% failure rate over their history, which is why I will never buy one. In Addition, depending on the chipset you have, like the one my Dad has, they sound like a jet engine taking off when you turn it on.
I have been reading you guys talk about this video streaming stuff to your TV.

Is it any different than just hooking a HDMI cable from your super duper Video card and going directly from the computer? (dual monitors) or is this basically the same thing?

okay, never mind... I am just using my computer as the media player instead of a PS3 or Xbox.
Kakarat Keys ~ Thief ~ Guild Wars 2
Kakarat ~ Shaman ~ WoW ~
Kakarat ~ Witch Hunter ~ WAR:AoR
Riona ~ Knight of the Blazing Sun ~ WAR:AoR
Kakarat ~ Swashbuckler ~ EQ2 ~ Venekor
Eef Eigten[F-18]~ 60 Aracoix Rogue ~ Shadowbane
Kakarat ~ 60 Ogre Warrior ~ EQ ~ VZ
Speaking of which, Iwas was wondering about connecting my computer to the receiver. I have an old Nvidia 280GTX card (allegedly does some sort of HDMI output) and Creative X-FI Soudblaster card. I don't see any HDMI outputs anywhere - how does one connect their desktop rig to their home theater?
grizzle Wrote:Speaking of which, Iwas was wondering about connecting my computer to the receiver. I have an old Nvidia 280GTX card (allegedly does some sort of HDMI output) and Creative X-FI Soudblaster card. I don't see any HDMI outputs anywhere - how does one connect their desktop rig to their home theater?

Mini-stereo to RCA cable

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16882123074&cm_re=rca_to_mini_stereo-_-82-123-074-_-Product">http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... -_-Product</a><!-- m -->
[should not have shot the dolphin]
Ahh, ok - nice. That takes care of my problem with running out of HDMI slots on my receiver.

Wait, that's just audio - what about video?

Actually, I'm not even seeing RCA plugs on my sound card. I may need to upgrade it.

What soundcard are you guys using these days (for those who are making this sort of connection to HT)
grizzle Wrote:Ahh, ok - nice. That takes care of my problem with running out of HDMI slots on my receiver.

Wait, that's just audio - what about video?

Actually, I'm not even seeing RCA plugs on my sound card. I may need to upgrade it.

What soundcard are you guys using these days (for those who are making this sort of connection to HT)

The RCA should be on the TV side. Wherever you plug your speakers or headphones int o the PC will be the ministereo jack. Video card outputs are entirely dependent on what you have on the card. Most nowadays have a VGA and DVI, and some have HDMI. You need to look on the back of your PC and see what connectors you have. Many HDTV's have DVI inputs so you could go directly to your TV from your PC. There are also plenty of adapters out there that switch formats.
Gotcha, so it's minijack on the PC to RCA on the TV, and per my video card, no HDMI so it would be DVI from PC to TV.
if you want more than just stereo output from your PC, you may prefer a 7.1 cable set instead:
http://www.amazon.com/Sound-Blaster-Home...B0029ZA7T8

these are what I use to connect our plasma pc to our receiver.

-ken
New World: Snowreap
Life is Feudal: Snowreap Iggles, Taralin Iggles, Preyz Iggles
Naval Action: Taralin Snow, Snowy Iggles
EQ2: Snowreap, Yellowtail, Taralin, Disruption, Preyz, Taralynne, Snowy, Snowz
ESO: Snowreap, Yellowtail
PS2: Snowreap
GW2: Snowreap, Yellowtail, Preyz, Taralin, Taralynne
RIFT: Snowreap, Yellowtail, Preyz, Taralin, Snowy
PotBS (British): Taralin Snow, Taralynne Snow, Snowy Iggles, Edward Snow
PotBS (Pirate): Taralin Snowden, Taralynne Snowden, Redshirt Snowden
WW2O: Snowreap
WAR: Snowreap, Preyz, Lbz, Leadz, Snowz, Taralin, Snowmeltz, Yellowtail, Snowbankz
APB: Snowreap, Sentenza
STO: Snowreap@Snowreap, Snowz@Snowreap
AoC: Yellowtail, Snowreap, Snowstorm, Redshirt
WoW (Horde): Snowreap, Savagery, Baelzenun, Wickedwendy, Taralin, Disruption, Scrouge, Bette
WoW (Alliance): Yellowtail, Wickedwendy, Snowreap
AC1: Snowstorm, Yellowtail, Shirt Ninja, Redshirt
Not for nothing but you should look at the Vizio SVxx2svt line in the 55" or 47" version. Both are Backlit LED with local dimming, VIA Apps (based on Yahoo widgets) for Netflix, Rhapsody, Hulu (coming soon), and wireless N built in.

I am not saying that they are the best but they may be the best value for the money. Vizio uses an LG panel and is 240 Hz. It has high end features at least half the price of Samsung and Sony and sometimes more than half. BTW Sony uses Samsung panels.

The AVS Forum is big on the new Sharp LCDs 7700UN models but I think that the Vizio is a strong contender.

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://gizmodo.com/5125535/vizio-vf551xvt-55+inch-led+backlit-lcd-with-240hz-for-2000">http://gizmodo.com/5125535/vizio-vf551x ... z-for-2000</a><!-- m -->

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://blogs.consumerreports.org/electronics/2009/06/while-its-mainstream-lcd-tvs-target-budget-conscious-consumers-vizio-is-using-its-flagship-xvt-series-of-1080p-hdtvs-to-offe.html">http://blogs.consumerreports.org/electr ... -offe.html</a><!-- m -->
Maranatha!

Maranatha\Amarantha\Dolmori\Helojoki

Riz says, "That's made of pure bacon and win!"
A bar I like to go to has Vizio and one of their TVs has really bad image warping along the edges. Makes it look like you are watching the game underwater through a crystal ball. Makes me seasick.
Caveatum & Blhurr D'Vizhun.
[Image: glarebear_av.gif]
[Image: sterb037.gif]
is it because that TV is showing a 4:3 program, fitting it to 16:9 by stretching the edges? I hate that. I'd rather just have black bars at the sides.

-ken
New World: Snowreap
Life is Feudal: Snowreap Iggles, Taralin Iggles, Preyz Iggles
Naval Action: Taralin Snow, Snowy Iggles
EQ2: Snowreap, Yellowtail, Taralin, Disruption, Preyz, Taralynne, Snowy, Snowz
ESO: Snowreap, Yellowtail
PS2: Snowreap
GW2: Snowreap, Yellowtail, Preyz, Taralin, Taralynne
RIFT: Snowreap, Yellowtail, Preyz, Taralin, Snowy
PotBS (British): Taralin Snow, Taralynne Snow, Snowy Iggles, Edward Snow
PotBS (Pirate): Taralin Snowden, Taralynne Snowden, Redshirt Snowden
WW2O: Snowreap
WAR: Snowreap, Preyz, Lbz, Leadz, Snowz, Taralin, Snowmeltz, Yellowtail, Snowbankz
APB: Snowreap, Sentenza
STO: Snowreap@Snowreap, Snowz@Snowreap
AoC: Yellowtail, Snowreap, Snowstorm, Redshirt
WoW (Horde): Snowreap, Savagery, Baelzenun, Wickedwendy, Taralin, Disruption, Scrouge, Bette
WoW (Alliance): Yellowtail, Wickedwendy, Snowreap
AC1: Snowstorm, Yellowtail, Shirt Ninja, Redshirt
Hoofhurr Wrote:A bar I like to go to has Vizio and one of their TVs has really bad image warping along the edges. Makes it look like you are watching the game underwater through a crystal ball. Makes me seasick.

Like any brand they have low, middle, and high end systems. The ones with the SVT at the end are at the high end and I doubt that a bar bought that one.
Maranatha!

Maranatha\Amarantha\Dolmori\Helojoki

Riz says, "That's made of pure bacon and win!"
Like i've posted earlier in this thread, i'm a huge fan of Vizio. They aren't the best but the bang for your buck is unparalleled. Last 2 TV's have been Vizio and I have no complaints.
Skelas

Burnt to a crisp.
Quote:is it because that TV is showing a 4:3 program, fitting it to 16:9 by stretching the edges? I hate that. I'd rather just have black bars at the sides.

Yeah, me too.
Moristans: err

What the f*** Skelas - I know this is NSFW, but I coudn't watch this at work...

-Orsun