Kindle Question
I'm thinking of getting one, but really don't know exactly how it works in terms of how you purchase the books to put on it.

I have a few questions for anyone who knows to answer:

1) Do you purchase the books from a "Kindle Store" of sorts, similar to iTunes Store? Or do you purchase the books from the different publishers or online retailers individually?

2) Another other question I have, and this is actually quite important to me, is:
Can you buy recent/new release comic books and trade paperbacks (various publishers) for the Kindle?
I love a good novel like anyone else, but there are plenty of times when I just don't have the time to sit back and delve into a book and need just a quick fun read. I love comics anyhow, and have a few series' that I collect on a "monthly" (they are never on time) basis.

3) One more thing:
Does the Kindle allow you to transfer over other formats to it and does it have functionality to open them? Such as PDF's, etc? Or does it only open the proprietary Kindle files and nothing else?
Fretty
Guild Wars 2: Fretty The Charming - Mesmer(currently inactive)
Rift: Nico - Cleric Extraordinaire // Fretty - Radical Rogue(currently inactive)
Eve: Fret V2 - EW Master of the Universe (currently inactive)
Your head, my lap. 'Nuff said.
To buy straight off the kindle with wireless you buy off amazon.com, the kindel version filters out all non kindle releases.

You can buy off other ebook sites and transfer via a usb cable.

No comics I know of are released, although you could probably download them and turn them into the proper files.

It can't natively display pdf (actually I think the new version will) but a quick google will show you how to change the files to be readable on the kindle.
Fretty Wrote:1) Do you purchase the books from a "Kindle Store" of sorts, similar to iTunes Store? Or do you purchase the books from the different publishers or online retailers individually?
I've only ever purchased books from Amazon. You can either order them online through the regular Amazon store front in which case they will be magically sent to your Kindle or you can order them directly on the Kindle itself. The Kindle uses the cell phone network for its wireless communication, so you have coverage basically everywhere and there's no fee for this. (In fact, technically you can browse the web but it's slow, clunky and limited. Still, you can access Wikipedia in an emergency, such as an argument over the history of Guinness.)

Quote:2) Another other question I have, and this is actually quite important to me, is:
Can you buy recent/new release comic books and trade paperbacks (various publishers) for the Kindle?
I love a good novel like anyone else, but there are plenty of times when I just don't have the time to sit back and delve into a book and need just a quick fun read. I love comics anyhow, and have a few series' that I collect on a "monthly" (they are never on time) basis.
Not that I've seen. Honestly I don't think the regular Kindle has a big enough screen for this. The display is about the size of a paperback page and most comic pages are bigger than that.

You could get the jumbo Kindle ("Kindle DX") which is much bigger and would be better for displaying images. The Kindle DX also supports PDF format directly. That's a bit of a higher price and a bigger item to carry around, though.

I've yet to try and put anything on the Kindle that I didn't get from Amazon. I hear there's a converter for most document formats but I haven't looked into it.

You might compare it to the new Barnes and Noble reader too. I'm actually excited about that because I think it will end up improving my Kindle. If the Nook allows for easy sharing of books between people then I think Amazon will be pressed to have the same feature for the Kindle, and it seems like something they might be able to add on with just a software update. My biggest question with the Nook would be book availability and how you purchase them. The best feature with the Kindle is that cell phone network thing that simply lets you buy a book from wherever you are without needing to mess with wireless settings, security or anything like that. I have yet to plug my Kindle into a computer. It sounds like the nook has the same feature but I don't get a definitive feel for it from their FAQ.

I'm also not sure how you shop for books on the nook. I'm guessing that's what that lower part of the display is for but there's no keyboard... guessing that's a touch pad or something, and it can display a keyboard when necessary? With the Kindle you just select "Shop" and type in the name of the book you want.

Kindle interface frankly could stand to be easier to use and more intuitive but then I rarely do anything except read books and it's great for that.
Slamz Wrote:I've only ever purchased books from Amazon. You can either order them online through the regular Amazon store front in which case they will be magically sent to your Kindle or you can order them directly on the Kindle itself. The Kindle uses the cell phone network for its wireless communication, so you have coverage basically everywhere and there's no fee for this.

Unless your outside the us in which case they charge 1.99 per transfer to your kindle.. grr.
If you can, I'd honestly wait until the Apple tablet device comes out, probably mid-2010. It looks like it's going to be way more than the Kindle, more like a bigger iPod Touch. That means you'll be able to do pretty much anything on it - surf the web, play games, use it as a phone, whatever. You can also use it to read comics - I have a nice CBR reader on my iPhone.
Ex SWG, L2, CoH, Wow, and War
Currently PvPing in the stock market
The E-paper display is half the point of the kindle. No backlight to annoy your eyes and drain the battery quickly. Plus you aren't buying overpriced hipster crap.
I'm guessing the Apple device will something very similar.

Don't really get the whole "hipster" thing with Apple. They are the overwhelming market leader in music players, and rapidly heading that way in smart phones. That doesn't really reconcile with a niche hipster label. And what do you base "crap" on?
Because it is fun to troll fanboys Wink Also, I hate iphones, no keyboard = teh suck.

The tablet might be a nice toy but its going to have a backlit display and theres no way it can match up battery wise to the length you can use the kindle since epaper uses such a small amount of energy. Its going to be an OLED or an LCD display.

also:

Quote:The OLED display is said to come from LG, DigiTimes quotes sources from component makers as stating, with Foxconn, Quanta and Pegatron pegged as manufacturers.

OLED is an expensive technology, with current prices for a 9.7-inch panel said to come in at around the $500 mark.

This has led to fresh estimates that suggest the OLED iTablet could cost as much as $2000 to the consumer, with the larger LCD model tipped to be priced between $800 and $1000.

Thats a bit pricey, you can get a damn laptop for that. Certainly a bit much for an ereader.

Ah, but I'm not an Apple fanboy. Smile I've never owned a Mac, which is the minimum criteria for that. All I have is an iPhone, which millions of others have. However, that was enough to convince me that Apple make excellent products.

I wouldn't get hung up on the price or the rumours. Similar stuff flew around about the iPhone, which you can now buy for $99 (with a contract). I doubt the iTablet will be more than $600...and the Kindle DX is almost $500.
I wouldn't shell out cash for the DX, the small size of the kindle is what makes it good.
Such an Amazon fanboy... :wink:
As long as it has a keypad and not a gay touch screen Smile
Careful, Grieve is just trying to artificially prop up the stock price of Apple!! Dont wait, by a kindle!!
Maul, the Bashing Shamie

"If you want to change the world, be that change."
--Gandhi

[Image: maull2.gif]
Careful, Maul is trying to artifically prop up the stock price of Amazon!! Don't give in, send me the money so I can buy more Apple stock...doh, I mean buy you an iTablet!
Grieve Wrote:I'm guessing the Apple device will something very similar.

Don't really get the whole "hipster" thing with Apple. They are the overwhelming market leader in music players, and rapidly heading that way in smart phones. That doesn't really reconcile with a niche hipster label. And what do you base "crap" on?

Actually same thing is starting to happen as with their PC's. They're bossing people around (app store) and people are getting fed up and leaving. Google is laying the groundwork right now to destroy Apple. It will take several years, but apple is being apple.
[should not have shot the dolphin]
I love my Google Android OS on my HTC smart phone. Almost every app is free (in fact, to this day while looking on the Android market for something of interest, I have not come across one pay-for app).

Grieve, you mentioned you have a CBR reader on your iPhone, I wonder if I can look for something similar for my Android. What is the name of your iPhone CBR app? I want to look them up and see if they have it for Android, or maybe if someone else has made one.

I think I'll just by stock in both Amazon and Apple after this discussion, and wait for my profits from both sides to purchase their products!!! Nah, that's stupid. =P
Fretty
Rift: Nico - Cleric Extraordinaire // Fretty - Radical Rogue(currently inactive)
Fretty, I use ComicZeal, but there are loads out there. Just search for "android CBR" and I'm sure you'll find some.

Reading on the iPhone works pretty well, but something tablet sized would be much better.
Perfect, I found one. I installed it but haven't transferred over my CBR's yet to test out the functionality. I'm sure it will be a little weird reading it on a small screen and zooming in and out, but if it works, it works, and I'll use it.
Fretty
Works like a charm.
I thought reading something on a screen that small would be too hard and basically just for fun and not for actual use, but I was wrong. It's really easy to read and load times are fast.

Thanks for the suggestion Grieve. =)
Fretty
No worries, glad it worked out! Happy comic-reading! Smile