Since the the end of the world is back in the cards....
Ok, so after 3 separate threads on guns (shot guns, rifles, hand guns) I'm am coming up on my first purchase. Thanks to your help and the help of the internet, I have solidified my list of guns and the order in which I'll be buying them. My wife has finally caved in and will let me get the first one. Here is my order:

1. Remington 870 (for small stuff and home defense -- maybe a civil unrest scenario)
2. Remington 700 (30-06) with scope (for long range, bigger game, deer, etc)
3. Glock 19 (for backup and tighter quarters)

My last concern is the gauge of the Remington 870. I was thinking about getting a 20 gauge so that my wife could use it in an emergency while I'm on the Glock(close up) and the 700(long range). I don't think she could handle a 12 gauge. I think the 20 is fine for small game and home defense, assuming I'm on the Glock. The 700 30-06 will alleviate the need for the 12 gauge with deer and larger game. Conversely, it might be easier to get the 12 gauge 870 which I'll have and train my wife with the Glock. That's really my last decision - 12 vs 20 870. Its tough because my wife will probably never agree to shoot a gun let along get to the range and get trained -- so logically I should get the 12 for myself and assume she won't be part of the defense equation. But then again, if I go down, it would be nice to know she has a gun in her hand as the last line of defense for the kids. Eh well, I need to decide before she changes her mind.
"Hamilton is really a Colossus to the anti republican party. Without numbers he is an host within himself. They have got themselves into a defile where they might be finished but too much security on the republican part will give time to his talents and indefatigableness to extricate them. We have had only middling performances to oppose to him. In truth when he comes forward there is nobody but yourself who can meet him. His adversaries having begun the attack he has the advantage of answering them and remains unanswered himself. For God's sake take up your pen and give a fundamental reply to Curtius and Camillas" - Thomas Jefferson to James Madison
Do what they always do. Buy six or seven different things and then ask which 2-3 you should take back to the store. You have a receipt.
Caveatum & Blhurr D'Vizhun.
[Image: glarebear_av.gif]
[Image: sterb037.gif]
Buy the 12 gauge and purchase reduced recoil shells for the wife. Don't buy a 20 gauge.

You can also buy recoil pads for the stock. Slugs and 00 Buck will kick more that lighter loads like #4 Buck and Birdshot.

One of the biggest advantages to the 12 gauge is access to ammunition. It's by far the most common shotgun shell.
"You cannot invade the mainland United States. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass." - Admiral Isoroku Yamamoto

Every citizen should be a soldier. This was the case with the Greeks and Romans, and must be that of every free state.
-Thomas Jefferson

Spread my work ethic not my wealth.
Does she prefer two kicks with a 20 gauge or one with a 12?

Vllad
Thudz Wrote:Buy the 12 gauge and purchase reduced recoil shells for the wife. Don't buy a 20 gauge.

You can also buy recoil pads for the stock. Slugs and 00 Buck will kick more that lighter loads like #4 Buck and Birdshot.

One of the biggest advantages to the 12 gauge is access to ammunition. It's by far the most common shotgun shell.

Access to ammunition is a good point. In the civil unrest scenario, it will be a lot harder to find 20 gauge ammo then 12. Damn, just when I was getting close to a final decision. Maybe I need a 12 and a 20...
"Hamilton is really a Colossus to the anti republican party. Without numbers he is an host within himself. They have got themselves into a defile where they might be finished but too much security on the republican part will give time to his talents and indefatigableness to extricate them. We have had only middling performances to oppose to him. In truth when he comes forward there is nobody but yourself who can meet him. His adversaries having begun the attack he has the advantage of answering them and remains unanswered himself. For God's sake take up your pen and give a fundamental reply to Curtius and Camillas" - Thomas Jefferson to James Madison
Vllad Wrote:Does she prefer two kicks with a 20 gauge or one with a 12?

Vllad

I don't know but she's is tall and thin, weighing in at 100 pounds so I don't think she can handle the 12.
Dustie Wrote:
Vllad Wrote:Does she prefer two kicks with a 20 gauge or one with a 12?

Vllad

I don't know but she's is tall and thin, weighing in at 100 pounds so I don't think she can handle the 12.

Like with any major purchase go shoot one with her. Like I pointed out, there are alot of ways of mitigating the recoil (pads, shells).
"You cannot invade the mainland United States. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass." - Admiral Isoroku Yamamoto

Every citizen should be a soldier. This was the case with the Greeks and Romans, and must be that of every free state.
-Thomas Jefferson

Glock19 has a VERY dangerous repuation for the safety being flakey.

Remember the youtube video of the DEA agent talking about gun safety, "I'm the only one certified to handle fire....BOOM(shot himself in the foot)"...that was a Glock19
[should not have shot the dolphin]
My Glock doesn't even have a safety.

I told you hated my Glock.

Vllad
Vllad Wrote:My Glock doesn't even have a safety.

Vllad

Glocks have hard safety. They supposedly have a safe trigger. I think it's BS. I dislike Glocks as well.

-Thomas Jefferson

Paranoid Americans lol.

That is what this thread sounds like to me... but anyways, my feedback...

No feedback about what type of gun to get just the last few on the 'safeties'.

The safeties are for a person that walks around with his finger on the trigger of the gun. (When hiking/hunting with a gun I never have my finger on the trigger. I never have the safety on.)

So for you trigger happy Americans, just don't have your finger on the trigger unless necessary.
Kakarat Keys ~ Thief ~ Guild Wars 2
Kakarat ~ Shaman ~ WoW ~
Kakarat ~ Witch Hunter ~ WAR:AoR
Riona ~ Knight of the Blazing Sun ~ WAR:AoR
Kakarat ~ Swashbuckler ~ EQ2 ~ Venekor
Eef Eigten[F-18]~ 60 Aracoix Rogue ~ Shadowbane
Kakarat ~ 60 Ogre Warrior ~ EQ ~ VZ
Kakarat Wrote:Paranoid Americans lol.

That is what this thread sounds like to me... but anyways, my feedback...

No feedback about what type of gun to get just the last few on the 'safeties'.

The safeties are for a person that walks around with his finger on the trigger of the gun. (When hiking/hunting with a gun I never have my finger on the trigger. I never have the safety on.)

So for you trigger happy Americans, just don't have your finger on the trigger unless necessary.

For those of us with children every precaution is very important. That includes hard safties and gun safes. But yes, trigger discipline is a very important skill any gun operator needs to master.

-Thomas Jefferson

Vllad

Well, at the time I think you said something about your hand being too big for it. I have a normal sized hand =)
Dustie Wrote:

Vllad

Well, at the time I think you said something about your hand being too big for it. I have a normal sized hand =)

How is the magazine? The magazine makes my hand bleed loading it. Glock makes them with a plastic clip that gets in the way. Plus there springs are to hard.

Vllad
Vllad Wrote:
Dustie Wrote:

Vllad

How is the magazine? The magazine makes my hand bleed loading it. Glock makes them with a plastic clip that gets in the way. Plus there springs are to hard.

Vllad

I hate loading GLock mags, makes my fingers hurt.

-Thomas Jefferson

Well, thinking back I had changed from the Glock to the Sig P226 .. and then I saw the price difference and figured I'll take a bleeding hand and spend a thousand less.
Dustie Wrote:Well, thinking back I had changed from the Glock to the Sig P226 .. and then I saw the price difference and figured I'll take a bleeding hand and spend a thousand less.

Why not a beretta 92 or springfield 1911?
[should not have shot the dolphin]
Good enough for Clint Eastwood should be good enough for anyone:
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.imfdb.org/index.php?title=Gran_Torino">http://www.imfdb.org/index.php?title=Gran_Torino</a><!-- m -->

(Holy crap, is there is wiki page for everything now?)
Dustie Wrote:Well, thinking back I had changed from the Glock to the Sig P226 .. and then I saw the price difference and figured I'll take a bleeding hand and spend a thousand less.

You get what you pay for. For safety's sake, I'd pay the extra money.
Veraphim Wrote:

You get what you pay for. For safety's sake, I'd pay the extra money.

Well, if I really thought the end of the world was coming, I would probably go all out and add a Browning 50 cal to the list, but as it is, its more just an insurance policy. The Glock is by no means of piece of junk.
The Glock is very light and manageable to fire. There is no doubt they perform well.

They just aren't the kind of firearm you want to take shooting. Loading there clips puts a damper on it.

Vllad
A simple 45 and a M14 is all I have and need.

Though, I do like the idea of a shotgun in the house w/ bird pellets for those kids who think my 60 inch plasma is thier's for the taking.
GW2_Guardian
SWtOR_Marauder
WAR_White Lion_Iron Rock
Amins_WOW_Shaman_Crushridge
Aminion_DAOC_RM_Mid/Guin
Bnobo_Dark Ages_Monk/Rogue