Red Laser - This blew me away
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4sqo9RiIYCY">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4sqo9RiIYCY</a><!-- m -->

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://appadvice.com/app/312720263">http://appadvice.com/app/312720263</a><!-- m -->
Caveatum & Blhurr D'Vizhun.
[Image: glarebear_av.gif]
[Image: sterb037.gif]
I just bought the application. Very nice!

I find it funny lots of the teacher I know that have iPhones but wont buy a 2-5 dollar app, when they are already paying, what $80+ a month for it
[should not have shot the dolphin]
I've been using this for a few weeks, pretty cool. Although my wife laughs at me when I start scanning stuff in the supermarket...
Ex SWG, L2, CoH, Wow, and War
Currently PvPing in the stock market
I've had a barcode scanner app installed on my Android for months now. Aside from the 'neat' factor, I haven't used it for anything practical yet, but I'm sure the time will come when it serves it's purpose.
Fretty
Guild Wars 2: Fretty The Charming - Mesmer(currently inactive)
Rift: Nico - Cleric Extraordinaire // Fretty - Radical Rogue(currently inactive)
Eve: Fret V2 - EW Master of the Universe (currently inactive)
Your head, my lap. 'Nuff said.
Diggles Wrote:I find it funny lots of the teacher I know that have iPhones but wont buy a 2-5 dollar app, when they are already paying, what $80+ a month for it

$80 a month???? LOL I wish.... try $175 a month with unlimited for $99.99, plus bend over for another $40 for data and don't forget to text someone that is another $30.... Ah yes and taxes....

Love my iPhone, but AT&T suck coverage can burn in hell.

That's what's holding me back from them there fancy iPhones and such.

Sure, lots of cool features, and I only have to pay more than my cable, phone and internet bill combined to get them. I upgraded to another basic phone just because I didn't see the point in an iPhone where if I'm not going to get music, internet or GPS packages for it. Without all that, it's just an oversized and mediocre cellphone.
Slamz Wrote:That's what's holding me back from them there fancy iPhones and such.

Sure, lots of cool features, and I only have to pay more than my cable, phone and internet bill combined to get them. I upgraded to another basic phone just because I didn't see the point in an iPhone where if I'm not going to get music, internet or GPS packages for it. Without all that, it's just an oversized and mediocre cellphone.

The prices of phone service in fucking insane compared to the rest of the world. Its kinda sad that you can get cell phone plans for 1¢ a minute in India, and its like 25¢ here.

I do like how the smaller companies are starting to lower the prices and trying to steal business. Reminded me of the Amazon vs Walmart deal
Well the app was 99 cents or so. If you hold off buying one item in a store to buy it somewhere else it has pretty much paid for itself.
I basically get a free phone with a 3-year contract on my mobile services. Of course I had a few phones to choose from.
Samsung phone

It has a slot for a SD card and you can play music on it. pretty nifty.
And the keyboard for texting is great.

And the basic phone communication is all I need. wtf do I need to access facebook for while Im not at home. Seriously, just phone someone if you want to communicate with them.
Kakarat Keys ~ Thief ~ Guild Wars 2
Kakarat ~ Shaman ~ WoW ~
Kakarat ~ Witch Hunter ~ WAR:AoR
Riona ~ Knight of the Blazing Sun ~ WAR:AoR
Kakarat ~ Swashbuckler ~ EQ2 ~ Venekor
Eef Eigten[F-18]~ 60 Aracoix Rogue ~ Shadowbane
Kakarat ~ 60 Ogre Warrior ~ EQ ~ VZ
Havent paid for a cell phone in 7 years. Blackberry thru work. Wink I use it for everything and have never heard a word about what Im doing with it. I wouldnt mind having an iPhone, but free is better. It's Nextel tho, which SUCKSSSSSSSSSSSSS.
I do not know. The iphone is pretty great and I do agree the price is a bit steep. Nonetheles, there's nothing quite as perfect as being able to sit on the exercise bike at the gym, listen to whatever music I want, read a book I downloaded, play a ported version of COD Zombie Wars, plan dinner via texting with my girlfriend and check work emails all on the same device. The half hour on the bike evaporates and I don't even realize I'm out of breath and dripping sweat until the time elapses. Whenever anyone wants to plan something with me I create a new event on the calendar and set an alarm to remind me the day before. It's become a fairly indispensable tool.

I'm leery of functions that require security but not much more than that.
I had a free blackberry for years from work. I love the iPhone, I can do everything and more with it.

Slamz Wrote:That's what's holding me back from them there fancy iPhones and such.

It's really not that expensive. Around $80 a month, including all taxes, compared to the $50 or so I was paying at Verizon. But that includes unlimited data.

I'm not sure what you meant about music and GPS packages. An iPhone is a music player - that's part of the phone, you don't have to pay for it. You can copy whichever of your MP3s or movies onto there you want. GPS is built-in as well, you don't pay for it, although you can buy a better GPS app from the store if you really want to.

Here's what I primarily use it for:
  • Browsing the internet - it's basically just like using the internet on your desktop
  • Reading and responding to work e-mails (free)
  • Accessing and using my work and Google calenders (free)
  • Playing single-player games, from Doom to Worms to desktop-quality RPGs and fighting games (many free)
  • Playing multi-player games with wife and family, from Scrabble to Monopoly to full RPGs (many free)
  • Reading books on the free Kindle and eReader apps
  • Keeping the kids quiet with Disney movies (ripped from the DVDs)
  • Keeping the kids quiet with free games and educational apps
  • Trading stocks with the free E-Trade app
  • Using Facebook with the free Facebook app
  • Getting directions using the build-in Google maps app
  • Reading news using free news apps (AP, SciFi Wire, AllThingD, NTTimes, WSJ, USA Today, etc)
  • Listening to music using the free Pandora app, or the build-in iPod
  • Storing/transporting files (DOCs, XLSs, AVIs, etc) using the Folders app
  • Storing passwords in an encrypted app
  • Banking/financials with free banking apps
  • Control my media center PC from the couch with Air Mouse app
etc, etc

So to me it's much more than a phone, and a bargain at the price. You can even tether it to machines for free internet, or make free phone calls with Skype. I think if you used it for a couple of weeks you'd be hooked.
Ex SWG, L2, CoH, Wow, and War
Currently PvPing in the stock market
I picked up Air Mouse yesterday. Sure made forwarding streamed tv shows from the couch a zillion times easier and more convenient. Thanks for the tip. Red Laser might not be the most useful app ever but if it saves you $2 bucks one day it has paid for itself.
Quote:That's what's holding me back from them there fancy iPhones and such.

I was way behind the curve too Slamz. My girlfriend had to put me on her cellphone plan and buy me a phone before I'd go mobile. That was just 6 years ago.

3 years ago, I finally upgraded to a smartphone (Blackjack II), which cost an extra $30 for the PDA plan. I gradually started upgrading my plan as I started using more features.

Just recently, my Blackjack II started dying so I had to start looking for a replacement. I was an iPhone poo pooer so I spent a long time looking for an alternative. The only real decision to make was to either stay with a Windows mobile phone, or go iPhone.

To make a long story short, I'm happy with the switch to iPhone and it's not costing me a penny more a month than my Blackjack II. It's definitely not a business oriented phone, but for a casual user with any kind of social life, it kicks ass.

Step into this millenium Slamz. At least get yourself a smartphone. Believe me, you will find a use for it. As for an iPhone, it looks like it will have some competition coming up. My friend really loves his HTC Droid compared to his old Blackberry.
Moristans: err

What the f*** Skelas - I know this is NSFW, but I coudn't watch this at work...

-Orsun
I have been getting tempted by the Droid. iPhone is less tempting since I'd have to switch to AT&T and while I'm not exactly attached to Verizon, at least the coverage has been good.
I love my HTC Android phone.
I had a Windows Mobile phone before this, which I really did like, but it lagged like a mother. It was however neat being able to trick the OS into thinking it was the real thing and allowing me to install whatever I wanted onto it, despite the fact that it all ran like crap, haha.

I'm very happy with my Droid phone. 99.9% of all apps in the market are free, which is a huge bonus.
Fretty
Guild Wars 2: Fretty The Charming - Mesmer(currently inactive)
Rift: Nico - Cleric Extraordinaire // Fretty - Radical Rogue(currently inactive)
Eve: Fret V2 - EW Master of the Universe (currently inactive)
Your head, my lap. 'Nuff said.
Just got wife and myself HTC Eris Droid phones this weekend. Between the buy 1 get 1 free offer they had going and the upgrade credits we have, they were both free.

Verizon/HTC have committed to moving to Android 2.0 sometime in Q1 so you'll get the Free GPS navigation.

Still getting used to it but so far I like it.

The only reason to go with the Motorola Droid is if you need the keyboard -- not sure thats worth an extra $100 however. The major drawback with touchscreens I've seen in the past is fixed on the Eris as you can calibrate your touch point for each letter on the virtual keyboard.

Too many games to fit in signature....
Quote:I have been getting tempted by the Droid. iPhone is less tempting since I'd have to switch to AT&T and while I'm not exactly attached to Verizon, at least the coverage has been good.

Yeah, I hear you. AT&T was the provider my ex used so that's the provider I started with. For one reason or another, I always end up renewing my AT&T contract. This time around, my current GF (has Verizon) and I were pretty close to switching over to Sprint together because she really liked the Palm Pre. When she decided to stick with Verizon, I started looking for options options. It was just easier and cheaper to get an iPhone and stick with AT&T. Honestly, here in LA, I have no complaints about AT&T quality or coverage.
Moristans: err

What the f*** Skelas - I know this is NSFW, but I coudn't watch this at work...

-Orsun
I'll get a smart phone after Google destroys the teleco price fixing and brings the prices down by more than 50%
phone service should not be more expensive than access to the internet
Diggles Wrote:I'll get a smart phone after Google destroys the teleco price fixing and brings the prices down by more than 50%
phone service should not be more expensive than access to the internet

Internet access is part of the package along with phone service. I do agree that the prices can come down some but I think 10-15% is more reasonable. I'm getting the Motorola Droid BTW.
"You cannot invade the mainland United States. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass." - Admiral Isoroku Yamamoto

Every citizen should be a soldier. This was the case with the Greeks and Romans, and must be that of every free state.
-Thomas Jefferson

Spread my work ethic not my wealth.