Star Wars Review in 7 Parts
I'd heard there was a 45 minute review of Star Wars and figured there was no way I'd ever watch that, viral or not, but I just got suckered into watching part one and it's actually pretty good. Just suck it up and it through to the end. He brings up some great points about why, precisely, Phantom Menace blows:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FxKtZmQgxrI&feature=player_embedded[/youtube]
They should do one about how much A New Hope blows too, because once you take away our nostalgia it really does..

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zzoeEdW-EDQ[/youtube]
Taking nostalgia off of things is like taking icing off of cake. I prefer to view things through the window of my youth. Much more enjoyable.
Caveatum & Blhurr D'Vizhun.
[Image: glarebear_av.gif]
[Image: sterb037.gif]
Jakensama Wrote:They should do one about how much A New Hope blows too, because once you take away our nostalgia it really does..
Gasp! I vote that Jake be formally removed from these forums and his geek credentials struck from him for voicing such sacrilege. Next he will be trying to convince us that The Empire Strikes Back isn’t the greatest movie of all time…

As for the video, I don't need anyone making a case for why The Phantom Menace blows - watching the movie makes that perfectly clear on its own. Smile
Ex SWG, L2, CoH, Wow, and War
Currently PvPing in the stock market
Empire was definately the best of the 6, the Hoth battle stands up even today (Despite the complete impracticality of Imperial walkers), the ranking from best to worst goes:

5, 6, 3, 4, 2, 1

And that says a lot when I rank the emo Darth Vader "noooooo" movie above 4... Smile

KOTOR I + II are far better stories than any of the films. Give me the Darth Revan movie!
Jakensama Wrote:Empire was definately the best of the 6, the Hoth battle stands up even today (Despite the complete impracticality of Imperial walkers), the ranking from best to worst goes:

5, 6, 3, 4, 2, 1
Oh, now I KNOW there is something wrong with you, when you rank Return of the Jedi AND Revenge of the Sith above A New Hope. Obviously you need some serious help. Wink

It's 5,4,6,...............................................................................3,...............................1, 2
Negative.. Jedi was lame and muppety but the Emperor was cool enough that it redeemed the movie, even though one would think a dark lord of the sith could resist being, you know, picked up - but still more interesting than New Hope.

Revenge of the Sith wasn't actually that bad other than douche-o skywalker being a shitty actor (but lets face it, other than Guiness and Ford no one else in the damn series was particularly good), it suffered frmo his insistance to make it a PG movie instead of the dark affair the slaughter of everyone should have been. And bad editing. Still better than 4 though.

1 and 2 just have no redeeming qualities whatsoever.

I understand the nostalgia factor though, I still have it and I am not nearly as ancient as you people who probably remember when they actually first came out in theaters.
Jakensama Wrote:I understand the nostalgia factor though, I still have it and I am not nearly as ancient as you people who probably remember when they actually first came out in theaters.
Damn kids...no respect for their elders and betters...
Episode 5 is the only episode that is watchable for me today.
"You cannot invade the mainland United States. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass." - Admiral Isoroku Yamamoto

Every citizen should be a soldier. This was the case with the Greeks and Romans, and must be that of every free state.
-Thomas Jefferson

Spread my work ethic not my wealth.
See, Thudz knows whats up.
I've reported you all to Mr. Lucas and you will be banned from future StarWars related purchases, including SW:OTR
[should not have shot the dolphin]
I WISH I would have been banned from playing SWG, would have a few months of my life back.
The great thing about Star Wars wasn't some flawless execution of the movies, it was that it brought epic sci-fi to a whole new level -- a level that very few other movies have ever managed to reach.

What else would we even compare Star Wars to?

Aliens is my favorite sci-fi movie ever but it's not "epic". The connection to the first or subsequent movies was tenuous so it was basically just a good stand alone movie.

The Matrix trilogy is not really "epic" in my mind. I thought it went sharply downhill after the first one. There were some good scenes but it doesn't sit in my mind as an epic series.

Simiarly, the X-Men movies aren't closely linked into a single story so they really don't come together to form an epic sci-fi tale (if we even call X-Men "sci-fi". They're more like modern day fantasy. Similarly, I won't count LOTR, which WAS epic, but not sci-fi).

I think this is why the original 3 Star Wars movies continue to stand out: They were the first real epic sci-fi movies to take the world by storm and nothing since that I can think of has bumped them out of that particular #1 position. They are still #1 in the "epic sci-fi movie series" niche.

As much as Lucas can and should be bashed for some of his work, he's still the only guy with the vision and the means to bring a single massive sci-fi tale to the big screen.
I'll give you that. Star Wars will always have a solid number one place in my mind. The same way it would be very hard for Tolkien to be displaced as a book series.
Quote: Announced today, George Lucas will return to Star Wars films announcing a different tack. This time Lucas will adapt a Star Wars story he did not write in a trilogy of films he says will excite and reinvigorate the fans.

The story in question is the Dark Horse Comic book series Star Wars Legacy, and the adaptation will be named The Legacy Trilogy.

Star Wars: Legacy is set 125 years after the film Return of the Jedi. The comics feature Cade Skywalker, a descendant of Luke Skywalker, who was trained as a Jedi but has abandoned the order. He apprenticed himself to the pirate Rav and lives among bounty hunters, smugglers and pirates. Cade has also dropped his last name. The series begins with an attack on the Jedi Temple and the overthrow of the Galactic Empire by a newly created Sith order.

Lucas hopes to give a new chapter and a new franchise that is distant enough from the existing timeframe. The tone will be darker and promises to be void of Lucas’ token kid friendly comic relief.

Some friendly reminders will be the very outdated but faithful R2-D2, and Mark Hammill who is in negotiations to appear as the sage Force Ghost that offers guidance to Cade Skywalker.

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.themovieblog.com/2009/04/george-lucas-returns-star-wars-to-the-big-screen-with-legacy-trilogy">http://www.themovieblog.com/2009/04/geo ... cy-trilogy</a><!-- m -->
I hope the Sith win this time, Jedis are hypocritical pansies.
Grieve Wrote:It's 5,4,6,...............................................................................3,...............................1, 2

My list, down to every single '.', exactly.
You're the first person I've met who shares the same order as me Grieve, once again, including every single '.' =)
Fretty
Guild Wars 2: Fretty The Charming - Mesmer(currently inactive)
Rift: Nico - Cleric Extraordinaire // Fretty - Radical Rogue(currently inactive)
Eve: Fret V2 - EW Master of the Universe (currently inactive)
Your head, my lap. 'Nuff said.
Fretty Wrote:
Grieve Wrote:It's 5,4,6,...............................................................................3,...............................1, 2

My list, down to every single '.', exactly.
You're the first person I've met who shares the same order as me Grieve, once again, including every single '.' =)

Technically that is my order as well. Although I'm not sure how to quantify the periods.
"You cannot invade the mainland United States. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass." - Admiral Isoroku Yamamoto

Every citizen should be a soldier. This was the case with the Greeks and Romans, and must be that of every free state.
-Thomas Jefferson

I really wish the new movies would have been done in the Old Republic time or one of the Sith Lords in between, could have been some cool stuff there.
Jakensama Wrote:I really wish the new movies would have been done in the Old Republic time or one of the Sith Lords in between, could have been some cool stuff there.

Old Republic and Shadows of the Empire are the best settings IMO. Shadows done rated 'R' would be worth watching.

-Thomas Jefferson

Unfortunately Star Wars is a brand now and you have to balance the timbre and tone of the existing brand with that of any new offerings. Mr. Smith can't take Little Timmy to see Shadow expecting something with the mood and levity of Episode I and get something more like SAW I.

The huge mistake was making I-III so much lighter than IV-VI because pushing the franchise into a somber and harsh direction in the future is going to clash with audiences' expectations. The saving grace may be the violence in the Star Wars video games and the rating scale of the movie itself.
Just finished all 7 parts. Very funny and very spot on. He summed up all of my feelings of Episode I nicely.

-Thomas Jefferson

Hoofhurr Wrote:The huge mistake was making I-III so much lighter than IV-VI because pushing the franchise into a somber and harsh direction in the future is going to clash with audiences' expectations. The saving grace may be the violence in the Star Wars video games and the rating scale of the movie itself.

Especially 3, because it should have been the darkest of the series and had its moments, but after the childish tone set in 1 and 2 there was only so much they could do..

Expanded universe will always be better, and although I am one of the few that comes out and says new hope wasn't particularly great ex nostalgia, I do have to give credit for creation of the mythos which spawned some good stories.
Lucas hasn't made anything worth a crap since Raiders of the Lost Ark. You have to question his ability to ever make anything solo. His best works were with other people.

He is a great idea man but he has no ability to execute.

I hated the 1, 2 and 3 so much I am incapable of even rating them. The transformation of Anakin to evil is probably the worst written thing ever. Jamarcus Russell is a better quarterback then Lucas is as a writer.

Vllad
Vllad Wrote:Jamarcus Russell is a better quarterback then Lucas is as a writer.

Ouch.