Searching for a Person
This may seem like an odd question, but I'd like to look up an old friend, and unfortunately all I have is the social security number. I've searched all sorts of People Finder types of sites, but none seem reputabile enough to do the job.

Any suggestions for a site I can use in conjunction with a SS#?
~ The Duskwood Gankster ~
WoW & Beyond: Grizzle / Grizol
EQ/SB: Rafkin / Kriticos / Dudain
I've personally found sites like Facebook and/or LinkedIn to be the best in this regard as you can usually infer if someone is who you are looking for with the same name by who their contacts are. No SS# needed and with the risk of identity theft, its got to be pretty shady for a site to even offer the use of SS# as a way to track someone down.

The government website will allow you to verify a SS# if you are an employer and need to for strictly W-2 purposes but they are pretty clear that any use outside of that is illegal. I don't know if/how that extends to other sites offering this type of service.

Too many games to fit in signature....
Unfortunately this person is an old college friend with a very generic first and last name. Even more confusing is that she uses her middle name as her daily name, so trying to find her on a site like Facebook is nearly impossible.

And, frankly, with the relationship she and I had in the past, I'd rather know if she were married up front before "re-connecting" with her.
For a SSN number search you are going to have to used a paid investigation service to track someone down. We used to get huge amounts of info about people in our law firm from our PI service, kind of frightening.

But nothing free as far as I know.
Well, I don't mind throwing down a bit of cash for a PI for a SS search, but I wouldn't want any initial info other than "is she married" simply because I wouldn't want to be intrusive in her life if she has one going on. Is there a general PI/firm you would recommend?
Hmm let me email my lawyer buddy in Houston and see what he uses, it was 6 years ago I was in college working for that law firm (Jesus, I am getting old) so I don't recall the name.
Have you tried doing google searches with adding in known information?

e.g.
Jane Doe boulder Colorado university of skibunnies bowling champion eyepatch hook hand sister of John Doe

Alternatively, you have her SSN, so just steal her identity, charge up some credit cards and let her find you!
You could just run a credit check with her SSN, if you don't mind feeling like a stalker.
Rent "There is Something About Mary" and use it as your guide.
"You cannot invade the mainland United States. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass." - Admiral Isoroku Yamamoto

Every citizen should be a soldier. This was the case with the Greeks and Romans, and must be that of every free state.
-Thomas Jefferson

Spread my work ethic not my wealth.
Especially for proper zipper operation.