Colt .45 ACP vs. M9 Beretta
This is an odd place/topic for a new guy to the Purge to post, but after reading the post on M-16 vs. AK 47... (I vote for M-14).. it brought up memories of arguments I had with my buddies about which was actually a better sidearm for the military and the private sector.

I voted for the Colt .45 ACP due to its superior impact/takedown and the fact that last I was aware Marine Force Recon guys choose it as well. Where as stock Marines are issued the 9mm. If the guys who are doing the killing choose to use one over the other than I tend to follow their lead.

I am curious to see how the Purge folk feel about this one.
I don't hunt deer with a .22 why would I try and kill a bad guy with one? Same goes for the 9mm. I would rather take down what I am shooting at with fewer shots. In an adrenaline rushed environment wounded guys are still dangerous.. I would rather hit them once and put them down. The whole firepower vs. ammo capacity argument I guess.

Figures the gun topic would get me to posting here more often.. heh lil hillbilly that I am.

I somehow missed this section to Purge forums. lol
Kiefer Wrote:This is an odd place/topic for a new guy to the Purge to post, but after reading the post on M-16 vs. AK 47... (I vote for M-14)

That isn't a real vote.

The question was pick one between the M-16 and AK-47. M-14 isn't an option. Even the M-1 would get more votes then the M-16.

Vllad
I can't help at all, but I'm somehow drawn to the Colt .45 -- althought I'll still probably end up getting a Glock 17.

Which .45 were you looking at?

http://www.coltsmfg.com/products-c5-COLT_PISTOLS.aspx
"Hamilton is really a Colossus to the anti republican party. Without numbers he is an host within himself. They have got themselves into a defile where they might be finished but too much security on the republican part will give time to his talents and indefatigableness to extricate them. We have had only middling performances to oppose to him. In truth when he comes forward there is nobody but yourself who can meet him. His adversaries having begun the attack he has the advantage of answering them and remains unanswered himself. For God's sake take up your pen and give a fundamental reply to Curtius and Camillas" - Thomas Jefferson to James Madison
I dunno, lower caliber means less recoils means you can shoot faster not to mention have more rounds in a clip. Being a light build guy I might even opt for Beretta over a .45. 3 shots center mass or 1 to head is going to kill anyone not wearing body armor either way you slice it.
[should not have shot the dolphin]
Both the .45ACP and 9mm NATO generate enough force to induce hydrostatic shock, which is a large part of the real stopping power behind a bullet anyway, so hitting someone center mass with either weapon is going to stop them fairly well. The .45ACP is subsonic though, and despite the larger bullet it generates less force than the 9mm NATO, so may not fare as well against body armor.

The comparison therefore probably moves to other factors - Reliability, fire rate, cost, etc. I don't really know much about either of those handguns in those areas, but I would expect the clip magazine for the Baretta holds more ammunition than the one for the Colt.
Veraphim Wrote:Both the .45ACP and 9mm NATO generate enough force to induce hydrostatic shock, which is a large part of the real stopping power behind a bullet anyway, so hitting someone center mass with either weapon is going to stop them fairly well. The .45ACP is subsonic though, and despite the larger bullet it generates less force than the 9mm NATO, so may not fare as well against body armor.

The comparison therefore probably moves to other factors - Reliability, fire rate, cost, etc. I don't really know much about either of those handguns in those areas, but I would expect the clip magazine for the Baretta holds more ammunition than the one for the Colt.

I think one of the formula's for stopping power is speed + size. The slower the bullet is going the more flesh it tears along with it, thus leaving a larger exit wound.

A hole is a hole either way. Direct hit to the head, heart or lungs is going to stop someone.
[should not have shot the dolphin]
I prefer the 9MM, specifically the 9MM+P 124gr hollow point gold dots from Georgia Arms. I can put more lead on target faster with the 9MM than I can the .45ACP. And that is all that really matters. If I have to shoot at a hardened target I'm not reaching for any pistol, I'm reaching for a rifle.
"You cannot invade the mainland United States. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass." - Admiral Isoroku Yamamoto

Every citizen should be a soldier. This was the case with the Greeks and Romans, and must be that of every free state.
-Thomas Jefferson

Spread my work ethic not my wealth.