Netflix - Canada...possible?
You lucky American bastards...screw our Canadian health care system, I want services such as Netflix. Why would our stupid CRTC (Canadian Radio & Telecommunications Committee) ever agree to let us have anything like that? As a result, even our Xbox's don't let us subscribe to Netflix; we have to instead use the Zune marketplace, which forces us to purchase episodes of shows individually (at about $4.00 an episode for regularly aired shows, full seasons of 20+ episodes can cost upwards of double what a dvd box set would cost). They will not allow us a monthly subscription service such as Netflix. Netflix originally planned to launch in Canada, until it became such an ordeal to try and work something out with the CRTC, that they just gave up and now say they have no plans to bring their service here.

So, anyone have any ideas on how I could possibly sign up for this service while living in Canada?
If I were to use an American address for billing purposes, would I even be able to view the streaming content, or would Netflix pick up my location based on my IP and block the service anyways (such as NBC.com or Zulu.com does)?
My parents have a place in Florida, and I was almost thinking of getting them to pick up an Xbox for me and registering it while they are there, hoping that when they bring it up I will be using the American dashboard with all of it's features. Will that work?
Fretty
Guild Wars 2: Fretty The Charming - Mesmer(currently inactive)
Rift: Nico - Cleric Extraordinaire // Fretty - Radical Rogue(currently inactive)
Eve: Fret V2 - EW Master of the Universe (currently inactive)
Your head, my lap. 'Nuff said.
Even in using a different address, Netflix may be forced to restrict you based on your IP. They do this to make sure they adhere to what ever laws or contract restrictions they have. Sometimes it has nothing to do with government policy but the agreements / rights the company has to distribute certain media.

Are you able to stream free FOX and ABC content?
Maul, the Bashing Shamie

"If you want to change the world, be that change."
--Gandhi

[Image: maull2.gif]
Fretty Wrote:You lucky American bastards...screw our Canadian health care system, I want services such as Netflix.

Hah,

We yanks have our priorities straight!

Vllad
Fretty Wrote:My parents have a place in Florida, and I was almost thinking of getting them to pick up an Xbox for me and registering it while they are there, hoping that when they bring it up I will be using the American dashboard with all of it's features. Will that work?

It doesn't work in Europe I assume it won't work in Canada, it reads your IP... You'd have to use a proxy to do stuff limited to the estados unidos.
Buy an iPad in America, and use the free Netflix app to stream your movies. Also a free ABC app to stream TV.
Ex SWG, L2, CoH, Wow, and War
Currently PvPing in the stock market
Is the overpricedPad gonna magically change your IP address to show that you are in the USA? If there wasn't an IP ban he could stream it onto, you know, an actual TV.
Pffftt, why stream it to a static TV when you take your streaming movies and TV with you wherever you go, using the VeryReasonablyPricedPad? Big Grin

As for the IP, can't you just use Hotspot Shield or similar to fool it? Or use one of the services that lets you VPN to a US IP.
Ex SWG, L2, CoH, Wow, and War
Currently PvPing in the stock market
It kinda slows down stuff as I've found, I just steal everything from bittorrent so I really don't care that much. If my reasonablypricedpad actually had any storage space worth a damn I would probably use one, but since i have about 800 gigs of..... questionable television - I stick wit ze devices with a usb cable for my external.