iTunes m4a converter software?
Anyone use a program to convert iTunes purchased songs into more compatible formats for NON Apple mp3 players? Most of the iTunes purchased stuff I have is in .m4a formats.

I've got my eye on this guy <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.walmart.com/ip/Sandisk-Sansa-2GB-Fuze-MP3-Video-Player-Black/12790339">http://www.walmart.com/ip/Sandisk-Sansa ... k/12790339</a><!-- m --> and know I'm going to have some problems with stupid songs I bought from iTunes a year ago. The only requirement it doesnt meet is having a changeable standard battery.

Also, since Apple bought out Lala.com and is shutting it down, anyone have any music purchasing sites they'd recommend other than Rhapsody or Amazon?
[should not have shot the dolphin]
I have used Noteburner to great success for converting audible book files to open formats so my wife can play them on her non-audible -supported cellphone. Note burner is simply a CD emulator. You tell Itunes to burn a audio CD and it views noteburner as the device, and basiclly burns them to you HD. I would then move the files to her device. You could also then convert them to mp3 or what ever.

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.noteburner.com/faqs.html">http://www.noteburner.com/faqs.html</a><!-- m -->
Maul, the Bashing Shamie

"If you want to change the world, be that change."
--Gandhi

[Image: maull2.gif]
People pay money for music?

I used this to convert mp .m4as last time I got stuck with them:

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://download.cnet.com/Free-M4a-to-MP3-Converter/3000-2140_4-187723.html">http://download.cnet.com/Free-M4a-to-MP ... 87723.html</a><!-- m -->
Jakensama Wrote:People pay money for music?

I used this to convert mp .m4as last time I got stuck with them:

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://download.cnet.com/Free-M4a-to-MP3-Converter/3000-2140_4-187723.html">http://download.cnet.com/Free-M4a-to-MP ... 87723.html</a><!-- m -->

Yes some of us are actually honest. Not to mention my taste in music is not exactly ordinary.
Thanks, the one you linked is working well

I had few qualms about downloading music, games, movies, etc when I had bugger all money. Bit more difficult to justify it when you have a good job and enough money to go round.
Ex SWG, L2, CoH, Wow, and War
Currently PvPing in the stock market
Grieve Wrote:
I had few qualms about downloading music, games, movies, etc when I had bugger all money. Bit more difficult to justify it when you have a good job and enough money to go round.

or when you can listen to an entire song before purchasing, and buy it for 79¢
I buy all my games and music as well. I agree with Grieve in the sense that now that I have a career making good money, I can't really justify cheaping out on on a few dollars here and there.

What I do not pay for though, is software that they try and charge upwards of $200-$300+ for. Things that come to mind are any of the Adobe products, office products, etc. I personally do not believe that a piece of software should cost more than my processor. Also, the fact that any web/graphic design I do is for personal hobbies and interests of mine, not for work or monetary gain, along with the fact that they don't offer me a "reasonably" priced substitute of their product for 'personal use', allows me to justify not paying for their overpriced product.
Fretty
Guild Wars 2: Fretty The Charming - Mesmer(currently inactive)
Rift: Nico - Cleric Extraordinaire // Fretty - Radical Rogue(currently inactive)
Eve: Fret V2 - EW Master of the Universe (currently inactive)
Your head, my lap. 'Nuff said.
Grieve Wrote:

I mean if I had to justify it to myself in the first place, the fact that I couldn't afford something but still wanted it wouldn't have really been much of a justification.

Mostly its an issue of convenience, I'll actually pay for games if they are on steam as the downloads faster than torrents and it is less of a headache to deal with. TV shows take too long to come out on dvd though and albums are leaked usually long before they are on itunes.
I agree about convenience. I think we're getting some actual regression on digital product release, recently.

Used to be, you could get books on the Kindle on the same day they came out in hardback. Now some companies are pushing the digital release back until the paperback comes out, which is stupid and simply makes me want to find a pirated version (I assume there are "pirated" (scanned) copies of books available if I really went looking -- for now, I've been content to just wait).

For a while, it looked like the music industry was doing well with everything going to Amazon in unprotected MP3 format on the same day the CD came out. Now I'm starting to see some things that are not available except on CD (like the Battlestar Galactica sound track).

I refuse to support iTunes until they drop all DRM.

When looking for movies/TV shows, my approximate order is:
Tivo -> Netflix -> Hulu -> Amazon -> Piracy

Piracy is, if nothing else, annoying. Torrents of unreliable speed and quality is too much hassle where a reasonably priced alternative exists.

Plus I'm of the opinion that artists actually should get paid.
There are pirated books that are fairly easy to convert to your kindle but the formatting generally is shit.

Anyway I suppose I can justify my music piracy by spending probably a couple grand a year going to live shows, from which artists actually see my money. Or my abject apathy...
Slamz Wrote:I refuse to support iTunes until they drop all DRM

They did over a year ago. Its just they use stupid ACC and m4a formats
If I buy music online now, I buy from Amazon, which sell straight up MP3's. Amazon gets it.
Maul, the Bashing Shamie

"If you want to change the world, be that change."
--Gandhi

[Image: maull2.gif]
Vanraw Wrote:If I buy music online now, I buy from Amazon, which sell straight up MP3's. Amazon gets it.

ya they just have horrible looking HTML and ads everywhere. Rhapsody is just as bad with the ads. SOrry I dont want to look at some fat chicks stomach when I'm shopping for my Metal
Diggles Wrote:ya they just have horrible looking HTML and ads everywhere. Rhapsody is just as bad with the ads. SOrry I dont want to look at some fat chicks stomach when I'm shopping for my Metal

Adblock plus extension for Firefox!
Or you can block a lot of the most used ad sites and domains in your hosts file and never see their ads load again.
This is what I do because I just prefer to install as little plug-ins/extensions as possible.
Fretty
Guild Wars 2: Fretty The Charming - Mesmer(currently inactive)
Rift: Nico - Cleric Extraordinaire // Fretty - Radical Rogue(currently inactive)
Eve: Fret V2 - EW Master of the Universe (currently inactive)
Your head, my lap. 'Nuff said.
For conversion tools, I'm not going to be any more help than the advice you have already gotten. For a service for music, I use emusic. No DRM (when I dl them, I own them) to worry about, and in decent mp3 form already.
Rizxen - Master of Clones
Riz Wrote:For conversion tools, I'm not going to be any more help than the advice you have already gotten. For a service for music, I use emusic. No DRM (when I dl them, I own them) to worry about, and in decent mp3 form already.

I'm looking at the site but not really understanding how their system works at all.

eMusic plans start at $11.99 for 24 songs - that's only 49¢ per song!

WTF does that mean? Is this a subscription service that lets you keep all the music you listen to or what? They are not really selling me when I cant browse their library WITHOUT having an account, thats usually bad news.
You keep the songs forever. As long as you are a member, you can redownload the songs over and over at no cost. There is no DRM. If you need to look around, I'll give you my login and let you browse. I use it for my stuff (mostly punk and irish traditional) and my wife downloads some stuff on it. I don't find it hard to use up my downloads each month.
Riz Wrote:You keep the songs forever. As long as you are a member, you can redownload the songs over and over at no cost. There is no DRM. If you need to look around, I'll give you my login and let you browse. I use it for my stuff (mostly punk and irish traditional) and my wife downloads some stuff on it. I don't find it hard to use up my downloads each month.

That still isnt clarifying it much. Is it like Rhapsody, $X amount a month and listen to as much you can? But this site lets you keep them?
Yes, you keep them. It's essentially a contract that says "I will buy X songs from you each month. Because of this, I will get them at a discounted price". The songs are yours forever. As an additional service, as long as you are an active customer, you can re-download them (for those times you forget to back them up).
What about http://www.iomoio.com/? Anyone used them?

All songs are apparently 16 cents each.

The only catch seems to be that the minimum payment is $16. e.g., if you want 1 song, it's $16. So you have to buy 100 at a time to get the full effect of the 16 cent songs.

Which is not necessarily undoable if you find an artist you like and want to buy a bunch of their CDs at a time, or want a cheap way to diversify your collection and just buy a bunch of stuff on the cheap.

I have a friend who has used them and didn't think there were any gotchas but shes only used them once. I'm frankly not sure how they get away with it, though.
My best friend was telling me about it and he has probably downloaded 100 bucks worth of stuff off of it with no problems.. DRM free, fairly cheap price (you get a 20% discount for buying albums), etc... No problems reported.

I just looked at their site and pumped in all the bands I listen to lately, which is a lot of indie stuff, and everything I could think of was there. If it looks like they have the music you listen to avaialable then at least from the word of mouth I have heard it is fine.