Geektastic movies for 2010
Trailers for some of the more interesting "blockbuster" sci-fi/fantasy/geeky movies coming out this year.

Battle: Los Angeles (March 11)
Dunno about the movie, but love the trailer. ID4 without the cheese. Could be this year's District 9?

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PKC_ORM0vpo[/youtube]

Sucker Punch (March 25)
Second trailer was kind of crappy, so movie will probably suck, but still love the visuals on this first teaser trailer.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MsGSqAnBjfk[/youtube]

Thor (May 6th)
Eh. Big Marvel fan as a kid, including Thor, but the last time Kenneth Branagh went genre was Frankenstein, and that sucked.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B8hvApqxEo8[/youtube]

X-Men: First Class (June 3rd)
Liked the first movie, loved the second, blah on the third, hated Wolverine. This looks a lot better - a prequel set during the Cuban Missile Crisis, with an excellent cast, Bryan Singer back as writer and producer, and Matthew Vaughn (who was going to do the third movie before dropped out) directing.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UrbHykKUfTM[/youtube]

The Green Lantern (June 17th)
Not really a fan of DC, except for the Superman and Batman flicks. Doesn't look very appealing to me.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_axLoYlwwmU[/youtube]

Captain America: The First Avenger (July 22nd)
Looks okay - glad they set it in WWII. Hopefully better than Chris Evan's other Marvel franchise (Fantastic Four).

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sff8gNloRRs[/youtube]

Cowboys and Aliens (July 29th)
Cowboys and Aliens - obviously a Firefly ripoff! Harrison Ford back in sci-fi? Can't argue with that...

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=In-m2RJw3hE[/youtube]

Conan the Barbarian (August 19th)
Conan without the Governator and John Millius? Sacrilege! And they didn't even cast our very own King Conan Slamz in it.

(no trailer yet)
Ex SWG, L2, CoH, Wow, and War
Currently PvPing in the stock market
Sucker Punch makes me pee a little in excitement. BLA has a great trailer, but I think the movie is going to suck - hope not, cause that trailer really is pretty awesome.
Gameless (for now)
I've not heard of Sucker Punch - that trailer certainly looks interesting.

As for anything being this year's District 9... God, I hope not, District 9, in my opinion, was a piece of c__p.
Zirak / Thanoslug in lots of MMOs
[Image: homicidal.jpg]
"Consensus: The process of abandoning all beliefs, principles, values, and policies in search of something in which no one believes, but to which no one objects; the process of avoiding the very issues that have to be solved, merely because you cannot get agreement on the way ahead." -Margaret Thatcher
Zirak Wrote:As for anything being this year's District 9... God, I hope not, District 9, in my opinion, was a piece of c__p.
Bite your tongue! That was one of the best and most original sci-fi movies I've seen in years.
Sucker Punch looks like it was supposed to compete with Inception but came out too late?
[should not have shot the dolphin]
Grieve Wrote:
Zirak Wrote:As for anything being this year's District 9... God, I hope not, District 9, in my opinion, was a piece of c__p.
Bite your tongue! That was one of the best and most original sci-fi movies I've seen in years.

Have to agree with Grieve here. I was very impressed with District 9. One of the most original scifi's in recent history. Will there be a squeal?
Maul, the Bashing Shamie

"If you want to change the world, be that change."
--Gandhi

[Image: maull2.gif]
I thought District 9 was great.
Skelas

Burnt to a crisp.
Just to add a couple.

for the car enthusiasts. Fast and Furious 5 with Vin Diesel, Dwayne Johnson, and Paul Walker.

Pirates of Caribbean 4 - Ian McShane should be a good black beard and of course cant go wrong with the Beautiful Penelope Cruz in the film.

Limitless - Robert De Niro... for those of you who like his acting.
Kakarat Keys ~ Thief ~ Guild Wars 2
Kakarat ~ Shaman ~ WoW ~
Kakarat ~ Witch Hunter ~ WAR:AoR
Riona ~ Knight of the Blazing Sun ~ WAR:AoR
Kakarat ~ Swashbuckler ~ EQ2 ~ Venekor
Eef Eigten[F-18]~ 60 Aracoix Rogue ~ Shadowbane
Kakarat ~ 60 Ogre Warrior ~ EQ ~ VZ
cowboys and aliens isnt anything like firefly. I read the comic. It's basically an alien invasion movie that takes place in the 19th century Wild West.
Here's another geeky movie for this year...

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hinWQiv2rVc&NR=1[/youtube]
Gameless (for now)
The Adjustment Bureau
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1385826/">http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1385826/</a><!-- m -->

Saw a preview for this last year and thought it looked good. Looking at it again it seems to just be a love story with a sci-fi "twist". If it is good I'll watch it on blu-ray later this year. I never go to the movies anymore.
A-LA-BA-MA MAN!
HE'S QUICK, HE'S STRONG, HE'S ACTIVE!
You can take Alabama Man to the bowling alley, where he drinks heavily and chews tobacco!
HE CAN BOWL, HE CAN DRINK, HE CAN DRINK SOME MORE, ALA-BA-MA-MAN!
When wife asks him where he's been, just use the action button and Alabama Man busts her lip open!
"Shut up, Bitch!"
"Wow!"
BEATS HIS WIFE AND SLEEPS IT OFF, A-LA-BA-MA MAN!
Also Battlefield Los Angles seems to be this years "explosion" the movie. I doubt it will be a very good movie but it might have lots of things blowing up.

Micheal Bay seems to be out of the running since the last Transformer movie had a very long stretch without any really big explosions.
A-LA-BA-MA MAN!
You can take Alabama Man to the bowling alley, where he drinks heavily and chews tobacco!
When wife asks him where he's been, just use the action button and Alabama Man busts her lip open!
"Shut up, Bitch!"
"Wow!"
Here's the missing Conan trailer to round things out:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gklc3qf-eU4[/youtube]
I hate to inform you all, but Sucker Punch is going to be complete sh*t.
The studio doesn't even want the movie anymore. They aren't giving them the last of the finances required to finish it and they basically just want the movie out the door and forgotten about. They want to make as much money back, as quickly as possible and to never speak of it again.

I personally was really excited about it, but hearing how bad it's been getting reviewed/tested, so bad that they aren't going to continue financing it, means that even if it could have been fixed, it won't be now. Another let down from Hollywood? No way!
Fretty
Guild Wars 2: Fretty The Charming - Mesmer(currently inactive)
Rift: Nico - Cleric Extraordinaire // Fretty - Radical Rogue(currently inactive)
Eve: Fret V2 - EW Master of the Universe (currently inactive)
Your head, my lap. 'Nuff said.
Fretty Wrote:I hate to inform you all, but Sucker Punch is going to be complete sh*t.
The studio doesn't even want the movie anymore. They aren't giving them the last of the finances required to finish it and they basically just want the movie out the door and forgotten about. They want to make as much money back, as quickly as possible and to never speak of it again.

I personally was really excited about it, but hearing how bad it's been getting reviewed/tested, so bad that they aren't going to continue financing it, means that even if it could have been fixed, it won't be now. Another let down from Hollywood? No way!

What you see as a failure, I see as a perfect bad movie night movie.
A-LA-BA-MA MAN!
"Shut up, Bitch!"
"Wow!"
I'll keep an open mind til it (Sucker Punch) comes out, but haven't really been impressed by anything that I've seen since that first great teaser trailer.

Most interesting sci-fi movie this year is looking like it might be Super 8. Speilberg producing, JJ Abrams directing, and a great trailer. Definite ET/Close Encounters feel about it (looks like it's set in the 70s, too), with perhaps a bit of Cloverfield thrown into the mix.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m_GA2tiG1TU[/youtube]
For the parents out there, I took my daughter to her first 3d movie. Mars needs Moms. Do not go to it. The only good part of the movie was in the credits where they showed how they made the movie in these stylish jump suits.
Kakarat Keys ~ Thief ~ Guild Wars 2
Kakarat ~ Shaman ~ WoW ~
Kakarat ~ Witch Hunter ~ WAR:AoR
Riona ~ Knight of the Blazing Sun ~ WAR:AoR
Kakarat ~ Swashbuckler ~ EQ2 ~ Venekor
Eef Eigten[F-18]~ 60 Aracoix Rogue ~ Shadowbane
Kakarat ~ 60 Ogre Warrior ~ EQ ~ VZ
Saw Battle LA this weekend. Wait for dvd...
Best sci-fi movie I saw in 2011 ended up being Rise of the Planet of the Apes, which was a nice surprise because I had low to zero expectations of it after first hearing about it and seeing the trailer. Finally saw it over Christmas - what a great reboot. Outstanding effects, but even better acting (from Serkis in particular) and really intelligent, well-paced story.

Also really enjoyed X-Men First Class - haven't had a chance to watch most of the other contenders yet.

2012 looks like an interesting year, with Prometheus, The Hobbit, Dark Knight Rises, the Logan's Run remake, Hunger Games (enjoyed the books), World War Z, The Avengers, the Spiderman reboot, Chronicle, the Total Recall remake, and various others. Oh, and Alfonso Cuarón's new sci-fi flick Gravity, with George Clooney - really enjoyed Children of Men.
Yea' I was pretty excited for 2011, and ended up meh... have to agree rise of the planet of the apes was quite good. I was also surprised by Captain America. I had pretty low expectations.
Maul, the Bashing Shamie

--Gandhi

Did you see Super 8? I got it from Netflix having no idea what it was about and nearly turned it off about 10 minutes in as I assumed it was shaping up into kids-catch-crime-on-camera turned semi-action-drama or something and was amazed at the rather sudden direction the movie took.

I agree about Captain America too. Had very low expectations. Actually turned out to be one of the better super-hero movies.

I'll have to add Rise of the Planet of the Apes to the queue.
Yea Super 8 wasn't too bad. Kinda felt like it was Goonies 3....
Maul, the Bashing Shamie

--Gandhi

I have Super 8, Captain America, Thor, Cowboys and Aliens, and a few others all setup on my Apple TV, but haven't had a chance to watch them yet. Also want to catch Source Code, which I heard was very good.
Ooo yeah, Thor was really good too. That was another one I wasn't expecting much out of and got surprised. Think I might actually rate Thor over Captain America.

The last Pirates movie (Stranger Tides) was just so-so, though. I suppose it might be more enjoyable, actually, if you sat down and watched it not thinking it had anything to do with the previous movies. It was barely related anyway. They probably should have just made a completely new pirate movie out of it with a completely new cast of characters. They almost did, anyway. Felt kinda like watching Star Trek with just Kirk and Sulu.

I thought the new Transformers (Dark of the Moon) was good too. Certainly better than the last one.
Some good movies in 2011. I did not watch Rise of the Planet of the Apes as I had really low expectations of it. Maybe I'll give it a chance though.
Zirak / Thanoslug in lots of MMOs
[Image: homicidal.jpg]
"Consensus: The process of abandoning all beliefs, principles, values, and policies in search of something in which no one believes, but to which no one objects; the process of avoiding the very issues that have to be solved, merely because you cannot get agreement on the way ahead." -Margaret Thatcher