The Purge

PvP for People Who Aren't Asshats
It is currently Sun Feb 25, 2018 9:10 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2008 10:08 am 

I know right...That Jodah guy is a real jerk. Total asshole. Whos smart idea was it to invite him? Whoever it was needs to be shot.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2008 2:24 am 

Ahh.. the time I joined Purge.
I had just left my previous guild, Seeds of Affliction, a guild I carried over from DAoC. They started to be inclined to go for PvE content and as anyone that has ever ran with me knows, I'm a pure PvPer at heart.

I was running unguilded in WSG for a long time. I was actually at Rank 10 when Karne and Hoof approached me about joining Purge.
I apped but was declined an invite. Grizz was my biggest opponent in that matter..damn him.

At that time, P v P had already been talking to me and at the same time I was denied Purge, I was invited to P v P. That's when the real history started.

Throughout that timeline, Purge did invite me to join and with the current state of affairs of P v P, I opted for Purge. I fell in love with the folks and really enjoyed my time.

Little did I know that I would eventually take GM of P v P and try and resurrect world pvp on the server. We gave it a huge effort and in my opinion, we were successful for a time. But it eventually fell short due to poor design on Blizzard's part.

Throughout it all, I still considered my a Purge member, as at that time we were all over the place, just trying to enjoy the game.

I've always had a soft spot for Hoofhurr and Karne, since I know they really spoke up for me when I apped for membership. Not sure if they did it for pity or what, cause it would never fail, I'd enter WSG and it would be me and 9 members of Purge or some other guild. God I loved those times.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2008 2:47 am 

Sam wrote:
We gave it a huge effort and in my opinion, we were successful for a time. But it eventually fell short due to poor design on Blizzard's part.

I loved being a part of that sam, it was a great undertaking for us! It took some serious work. I won't forget killing the king of IF @ 70 for a looong time.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2008 9:34 am 
Officer

Sam wrote:
I apped but was declined an invite. Grizz was my biggest opponent in that matter..damn him.

Haha if you stick around here long enough you'll come to realize that my endorsement is like a black mark on your application lol. Kidding aside Sam was usually the first dude I'd send a tell to if we needed to fill out our groups. Good times for sure.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2008 11:52 am 

HAI FLABBO!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2008 5:19 pm 

Hey Vllad. I'm actually on the "Original Vallon Zek players that joined us in later games" list with Rallick, Mallet, Fiddler and the Eh Team crew. I started playing WoW alpha with Rallick and when it went live, we joined up with The Purge when we learned that a lot of ex-VZ players are in the guild.

Looking forward to playing with you guys again on WAR.

Oh yeah, Valenexxa still wears <The Purge> tag on CR. I'm like the only one there now. :(

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2008 11:07 pm 
Officer

Dont you "hai" me,Shintai!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2008 12:55 pm 

Haha Sing, Tulweyen used to be a close personal friend of mine, somewhat lost contact when I moved to Bangkok, but I still have his email and will send him one once I am done with this post. He was going to join Seventh Tower in DAoC as an officer, but I don't think he had much time anymore.

Tul and I spent many an evening drinking a beer or two and jamming on our instruments in a basement here or there. Played some Robotech together also, but I wasn't so much into that as he was.

I was in Illuvitae for a bit, but not so much, it was only when I was getting a little burnt out in EQ and pretty much retired Danidwen. Don't even remember what name I used. Just remember running around with a level 10, slashing everyone who wasn't an elf and getting spammed with tells.

And Karne, I agree. I've tried to relive those days, but it's just not going to happen. I just hope a game will come out that will blow our minds to point that we forget... maybe a little.

Post subject: Re: The Origin of Purge
PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2010 11:30 pm 

I played VZ but didnt join up with alot of guys until DAOC came out. Back in Krieger and Stonewall. Then went down that list, been playing EQemu for a while but as soon as a new bad ass pvp mmorg comes out Ill be back.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2011 9:27 am 

I'm Scorrn / Brobding and all you XTeamers are dirty. I was in Purge on WoW for a while.

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2012 8:54 am 

Maranatha!

VZ'er - Elven Royal Guard --> Crimson Praetorian

<The Purge> after that.

Maranatha\Amarantha\Dolmori\Helojoki

Riz says, "That's made of pure bacon and win!"

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2012 12:48 pm 

I joined on WoW! Pretty early in WoW, actually. I think I was in less than a week after it first entered retail.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2017 11:45 am 
Officer

Where is everyone????

The last 3 games we have played has had all the same faces.

EQ2, Naval Action and Conan Exiles it has primarily been:

Slamz, Vllad, Dophuz, Arsilon, Diggles, Zouji, Dharus, Anne and Crice with a little sprinkling of Bach, Snowreap, Maren and Veraphim.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2017 12:09 pm 
Hail to the King

I think a lot of people are waiting for "the next big game" but the reality is it's just a series of smaller games these days. Nothing lasts 3 years anymore. Bonestomper always asks whether the game we're playing is the next big one and the answer is always the same: no clue. We could be playing it for another 6 months or it could be dead next week. Spin the wheel and take your chances because there's no WOW equivalent anymore.

But yeah, those of us still into it have gotten over 1000 hours out of some of these smaller games, and 1000 hours is quite a lot of gameplay people may be missing out on -- and definitely justifies the $20 or $30 we tend to spend per game.

Conan Exiles, if nothing else, has been an interesting excursion into this new line of "construction / destruction survival PvP" games that have been coming out. I've already gotten my money's worth out of it and even if we quit tomorrow I'd call it money well spent -- bugs and all, we've gotten a lot of good gameplay out of it.

Naval Action at its peak had some of the best PvP we've ever experienced. You had to be able to sit and play for 2 hours at a stretch pretty much but the rivalries and some of the battles we got into were amazing.

Even flops like DCUO, STO and AoC are games I don't regret buying and trying. They all had something about them that was interesting and fun for at least a couple of months and justified the expense. Really the only absolutely miserable games I've bought have been single player flops.

I dunno what people are playing these days or if they're just out of gaming entirely for whatever reason or can no longer commit to 1+ hour stints online but I'd be bored to death if not for Purge gaming. None of the above games would have been fun for long without that group of at least 4 or 5 people to run around with.

Pugging it is still a game for suckers.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2017 12:50 pm 
Officer

It is possible the days of long term MMO's are a thing of the past. We are coming up on 20 years since EQ1 and that type of game may have gone the way of the rotary phone.

It is a shame many of the players on this list didn't join us on some of the games in recent years. EQ2 had great PVP and very much brought back the EQ1 drama. Naval Action was some of the best PVP ever and ranked up there with the best games we played until the population dumped.

Conan Exiles may be closer to what we play in the future. Smaller server size, constant server movement, build and destroy type games.

Late 2015 and throughout 2017 had some great PVP moments that most Purge members just missed out on. For those that did play, who will ever forget, The All Pally Meta, Pedernales and the Whiskey Drunk War. For those that didn't play with us recently, you have missed out on some great moments.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2017 1:53 pm 

I'll say there from my limited recent playtime in Naval Action. The Purge could create a nice Pedernales again with the limited BR and clan ownership. I group of 5 Purge could probably hold a port in a PB which is a nice change.

The game is still slow and the population is questionable with the merge but its a nice change of pace compared to Conan.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2017 5:41 pm 
Officer

I know many of you are scared off by Mobile Games either because so many of them are shallow and lame, or you just don't like playing a game on a tiny 4" screen with your big fat fingers. But, a number of us have been playing Star Wars Galaxy of Heroes for almost 2 years now. I play on my PC using Andy(An Android emulator that's better for games than Bluestacks) and it looks and works great on a monitor using a mouse.

SWGOH is free-to-play with micro-transactions. There's certainly an advantage to paying players, but there are still enough options for free-to-play players to have fun and compete.

Our guild is currently full, but we occasionally get slots freed up as people stop playing.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2017 2:02 am 

PUBG officially releases today (12/21). That's what my PC gaming time goes into. No MMORPG has my interest and may never get it again.

As I get older, my interest in spending multiple hours a night in some fantasy world just isn't there. I can play PUBG for 20 minutes to 4 hours and then not play for a week and I'm not losing anything and I'm not behind people who play 24/7.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2017 4:44 pm 
Hail to the King

Vllad wrote:
The All Pally Meta, Pedernales and the Whiskey Drunk War

This is what keeps me gaming and I just don't think these experiences can be had without a live, open-world PvP environment with day to day continuity.

To expand upon your examples:

"All Pally Meta" -- we discover pretty much by accident that playing EQ2 with all paladins and shadow knights is an incredibly viable way to play, both PvP and PvE. We wrecked veteran teams of squishies, which were the real meta of the day: classes that sneak up and quickly stab other squishies to death. Hapless paladins can't help a group of squishies so they seem useless and are just the last to die but it turns out TWO paladins can support each other really well and a whole GROUP of Paladins turns out to be badass.

I love looking for the counter-meta and this is something tablet games can offer me but it's so much more satisfying to be able to deliver it in person, in real time, in head to head conflict with jerks.

Pedernales -- hordes of cocky pirates find their ruin against a much smaller and weaker French team with The Purge providing the strategy and the foundation to build on.

Really the great part of that whole contest was how important a role Purge ended up playing. I mean the French team was dead meat without us and we ultimately provided the pivot point that allowed the French team as a whole to leverage their way out and actually wrecked the pirate team. It was largely OMG that drove the point home but the French would never have reached that point to begin with had The Purge not picked a strategy that worked and held onto it with grim resolve.

This is a larger scale version of something I like about Purge in open world PvP in general: the times we have managed to "herd the zerg" or otherwise pivot a team to victory just by being the rock where a rock was needed. I've often said it's amazing what you can do when you just have a group of about a dozen people willing to coordinate. You don't need to control a whole zerg directly -- you just need enough to give them something solid to pivot around.

GW2 had its moments too but lacked the scale of strategy and rivalry that made Naval Action be a memorable experience. We had some good fights in GW2 (Pangloss Defense) but not to the epic (multi-week) level of what Pedernales turned into.

Whiskey Drunk War -- cheating shitheads meet their match against The Purge, mainly because we just...wouldn't...die... Once again we saw the meta, saw how the meta was killing us and found a way to survive outside of the meta and irritate the shitheads in the process.

I still find it amusing how Whiskey Drunk kept saying "we've been here since the game started, we're never going away" and as soon as the big patch hit, along with the reset which they wanted, those fuckers dried right up when the exploits they were using went way, which is exactly what I told them they'd do. Dumb mother fuckers.

I guess really what I love in gaming is that sense of encountering shitheads who abuse some meta (which may include outright cheating) and finding some way to either beat them or at least annoy the hell out of them. I am willing to endure quite a lot of questionable or dull gameplay if it can just deliver that type of epic moment that I don't think we can get anywhere else.

I recognize that to a lot of gamers, the pain isn't worth the payoff. Conan Exiles can be downright boring some days. Naval Action is slow paced on a good day. EQ2 required actual PvE grinding (blargh!) to even reach the good stuff.

But to me it's like McDonalds vs a fancy restaurant. I can get a quarter pounder right now and it's okay enough but if I endure sitting in a boring restaurant for a bit, I can get a much better and more satisfying and more memorable meal in the end. I'm always looking for that in the games we play. I love Rimworld and the stories it generates can be pretty amusing but I also know it's never going to bring me to another Pedernales.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 5:17 pm 
Officer

Me, Vera, Flab, and Skelas (with others popping in and out) have been playing SWGOH consistently for 2 years now.

If there's ever another new big game that comes out, we probably have a lot of good players to bring along with us. Our guild is very stable and has some great people in it. We actually have to turn people away (or boot inactive players) because no one ever quits, heh.

I just could not get into the pacing of Naval Action, and Conan looks like a heavy time investment. I'm at a place where I want to log in, jump straight into some action, and log out after an hour or two.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 2:51 pm 

I've started playing SWGOH. It's ok, most of the time I have auto play on looking for gear. If you like turn based strategy, wait for the remake of Battle Nations to come out, if it does. Battle Nations was Awesome! Unfortunately the company got greedy and sold way over powered units during special events. I probably spent $250 on BN, something I will never do again. It was an awesome free to play game that unfortunately became pay to win. And unfortunately the company sold to King which ended up closing the game down.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_Nations