The Purge

PvP for People Who Aren't Asshats
It is currently Sun Feb 18, 2018 2:09 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: NFL Draft
PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2014 8:49 am 
Officer

Airyth wrote:
When it came to their actual picks most analysts seem to be giving them an A or B so I guess that's good

Everyone gets an A & B now unless it is totally obvious. Even during the draft all you hear through every pick is what a solid pick that was.

I will see if I can find it but in Feb I read some marketing work that got completed regarding NFL off season media coverage and the strategies media should take to improve profits and revenues. Their has been enough analysis on ratings regarding player and team grades that I guess team fans get really pissed when media personal are critical of their picks and get low grades on the entire draft. It is in the media's best interest to make the viewers/readers feel good about the draft not get angry.

The days of Mel Kiper or some beat writer trashing GM's about the draft are over. Even when negative they always start with the positive or use some keywords like reach or upside.

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2014 9:36 am 

Valid point Vllad, looking at the various grades the lowest I saw was a C- given to the Redskins based off the fact that they were depleted in quantity of picks still due to the RG3 trade with the Rams. 90% of the teams have an A or B on most analyst grading

Mistahapie - 70 <Defiant> Troll War Mannoroth
Airyth - <Defiant> 70 Troll Mage Mannoroth
Iriani <Innoruuk's Legion> 52 DE Enc - Ebay
Mistahapie Bedwetter <Defiant> 70 TR War - VZ
Airyth <Defiant> 70 DE Enc - VZ
Crinekx <Defiant> 70 Frg Wiz - VZ

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2014 10:00 am 

Grade inflation - its not just for university anymore.

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2014 10:59 am 
Officer

Take a look at the following links.

Peter King makes an ass of himself even talking about a draft a year after it happened. He passes out grades with some F's.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/footba ... 4/14/king/

More than a decade later SI doesn't even pass out grades any longer and just does puff pieces on the positive effects of the draft.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/nfl/ne ... arterback/

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2014 1:13 pm 

I can't stand to watch or listen to any sport news analysis programs because its not really analysis but praise for whatever game(s) they want your to watch. Same is true for the players involved. Talk about the players who bring in more viewership vs real game knowledge. Manziel is controversial so they talk about him all the time. Tebow was heaven sent for a few years of ESPN drooling. Its all fluff though because neither of them are good NFL QBs.

I read a bit on the draft of Logan Thomas. There was no in-depth coverage here. He did really well on the combine for QBs but every outlet was down on him and the Cards on the 4th rd pick. He's a project QB and Bruce Arians, who is pretty familiar with Virginia Tech, knows this. Project QBs are hit or miss and its boring media coverage. Personally, and I am biased, I think that was the best QB picks for who picked them.

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2014 2:45 pm 
Officer

Sirius/XM NFL channel is the last place I know of that has real analysis when it comes to football. They have very knowledgable people talking abour real football. Sets, personal packages, player technique etc.

If you want to hear about shit that has nothing to with Football like leadership, distractions, motivation and your typical fluff crap you watch ESPN.

If you want to listen to real football talk Sirius/XM is the only place left that does that.

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2014 3:38 pm 

I went to Va Tech and I've followed them since then. Logan Thomas has all the physical gifts to be a great quarterback. He just never seemed to be able to put everything together to be a great quarterback. He can hold onto the ball too long in the pocket, dosn't seem to sense the rush as well as some other quarterbacks, an average release time and spotty accuracy. He does go through his progressions and appears to read defenses adequately, in interviews he seems like a bright kid and by all accounts he's very coachable. It's possible that sitting and learning for a couple years with a good QB coach he'll learn to put it together. Also you can't fault Arizona for taking a guy like Logan Thomas in the 4th round since the potential is there. I just don't think Logan Thomas will ever put it together to be a productive QB. I've seen too much inconsistant play which frustrated me on Saturdays and think that for whatever reason Thomas just won't be able to rise above the level of a 2nd or 3rd string quarterback in the NFL.

Mistahapie - 70 <Defiant> Troll War Mannoroth
Airyth - <Defiant> 70 Troll Mage Mannoroth
Iriani <Innoruuk's Legion> 52 DE Enc - Ebay
Mistahapie Bedwetter <Defiant> 70 TR War - VZ
Airyth <Defiant> 70 DE Enc - VZ
Crinekx <Defiant> 70 Frg Wiz - VZ

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2014 5:31 pm 

Vllad wrote:
Sirius/XM NFL channel is the last place I know of that has real analysis when it comes to football. They have very knowledgable people talking abour real football. Sets, personal packages, player technique etc.

If you want to hear about shit that has nothing to with Football like leadership, distractions, motivation and your typical fluff crap you watch ESPN.

If you want to listen to real football talk Sirius/XM is the only place left that does that.

Went to a sports bar and restaurant today who had 2 tvs on espn and espn2. One was talking about sterling, the other about Michael Sam for almost the entire hour we were there. Neither is a relevant sports story.

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2014 2:48 pm 

Airyth wrote:
I went to Va Tech and I've followed them since then. Logan Thomas has all the physical gifts to be a great quarterback. He just never seemed to be able to put everything together to be a great quarterback. He can hold onto the ball too long in the pocket, dosn't seem to sense the rush as well as some other quarterbacks, an average release time and spotty accuracy. He does go through his progressions and appears to read defenses adequately, in interviews he seems like a bright kid and by all accounts he's very coachable. It's possible that sitting and learning for a couple years with a good QB coach he'll learn to put it together. Also you can't fault Arizona for taking a guy like Logan Thomas in the 4th round since the potential is there. I just don't think Logan Thomas will ever put it together to be a productive QB. I've seen too much inconsistant play which frustrated me on Saturdays and think that for whatever reason Thomas just won't be able to rise above the level of a 2nd or 3rd string quarterback in the NFL.

Ya, but think about this, he was a TE 4 yrs ago and has developed into a college QB. He's a little rough around the edges with his footwork and he floats the ball sometimes but in college that's just about all of them. Manziel with all his hype has a good arm (though I question his accuracy) and is quick on his feet running the ball but that's not going to get him far in the NFL. A scouting on Manziel being a hotshot who doesn't read film vs a guy who learned QB from TE and has the same physical talents... I'd take the guy who put effort into learning. While I knew Vick was NFL material when I saw him play, he was very unpolished when he went into the NFL too. I used to swear when he throw a screen pass because he'd fire a 90mph ball 5 ft over the running back. I could also say the similar stories for all the other ACC QBs and some others playing Sundays now.

T. Taylor and Logan are pretty similar kids though I think Logan has more upside talent wise. Taylor has done fine as #2 for the Ravens and I think Thomas will too if he puts his head to it.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2014 1:17 pm 

Dharus wrote:
Airyth wrote:

Ya, but think about this, he was a TE 4 yrs ago and has developed into a college QB. He's a little rough around the edges with his footwork and he floats the ball sometimes but in college that's just about all of them. Manziel with all his hype has a good arm (though I question his accuracy) and is quick on his feet running the ball but that's not going to get him far in the NFL. A scouting on Manziel being a hotshot who doesn't read film vs a guy who learned QB from TE and has the same physical talents... I'd take the guy who put effort into learning. While I knew Vick was NFL material when I saw him play, he was very unpolished when he went into the NFL too. I used to swear when he throw a screen pass because he'd fire a 90mph ball 5 ft over the running back. I could also say the similar stories for all the other ACC QBs and some others playing Sundays now.

T. Taylor and Logan are pretty similar kids though I think Logan has more upside talent wise. Taylor has done fine as #2 for the Ravens and I think Thomas will too if he puts his head to it.

I stand by my posts. Both Taylor and Logan looked good for where they are at in the NFL... Could have been the Texans sucking bad though right? ;)

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2014 1:30 pm 

Jesus the Texans were awful. I have watched hundreds of football games. I never recall seeing a sub 20 time of possession. This was sub 18. I've never put stock in a preseason game before. But this was as bad as football gets. 120+ yards in penalties by the 3rd quarter.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2014 7:20 pm 

yea thankfully it was preseason. I turned it on, layed down on the couch with the wife and fell asleep. I didn't even see Fitz leave the game(I assume he did).

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2014 8:05 pm 

You really can't judge a starting lineup team for Preseason, however, its the 2nd, 3rd, and in some cases 4th string guys whom you should watch. That's what is interesting. Are they developing players adding depth or not. You know at some point they have a chance to play.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2014 10:53 am 

Jakensama wrote:
Jesus the Texans were awful. I have watched hundreds of football games. I never recall seeing a sub 20 time of possession. This was sub 18. I've never put stock in a preseason game before. But this was as bad as football gets. 120+ yards in penalties by the 3rd quarter.

Yeah the biggest thing I wanted to see was an effective player at QB and no one was effective. Now granted Keenum nor Savage really had much of a chance to do anything because of penalties and lack of possessions. I was pretty happy with our RB options behind Foster because we all know he will get hurt but if our OL doesn't do a better job it's not going to matter. Also if our secondary doesn't do a better job we are screwed. Our front guys did a pretty good job early in the game but out secondary was leaving people wide open. I'm also worried about Clowney in coverage but he's going to be a beast on the pass rush and run defense.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2014 9:44 pm 

Looks like the bears are going to be 2013 replay. Lots offense, no D.

"If you want to change the world, be that change."
--Gandhi