The Purge

PvP for People Who Aren't Asshats
It is currently Wed Feb 21, 2018 6:37 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 88 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: 2-0 Jake!
PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 3:25 pm 

That was kind of the point to what I was saying. Last season the Texans lost 5 games by a field goal or less and 4 more games by a TD or less. Of their 2 wins, one was by 3 points and the other was by 6 points. So that is 11 games that were possibly decided by a single possession.

Now you take a team like the Raiders that take 8 of their losses by multiple scores and of their other losses, none were by a FG or less and 4 were by a 4-6 pts. In their 4 wins they were by 10, 10, 3 and 5. So you say that one drive for the Raiders in each of these games you score a TD and the best record the Raiders could have would have been 8-8 wheras the Texans win all of their single possession games and the Texans are 11-5.

So yeah, obviously the Texans had a worse record, but what team would you have higher expectations for in the future?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 4:55 pm 
Officer

TinStar wrote:

the best record the Raiders could have would have been 8-8 wheras the Texans win all of their single possession games and the Texans are 11-5.

Or you were two possessions away from 0-16.

TinStar wrote:

So yeah, obviously the Texans had a worse record, but what team would you have higher expectations for in the future?

I would have higher expectations for the Texans but not for any of the reasons you list above.

1. This isn't the NFL of the 60's and 70's, every year teams turn over 1/3 or more of their roster so nothing that happened the year before can really be measured with a large enough sample size to judge how teams will play themselves out year to year.

2. Injuries end up making you turn over the roster even further during the season which changes how much a team is relevant to themselves in the past (see the 2014 49ers)

3. Close games or any observation from previous seasons make no statement about the current season because of number 1 (see above) You can only say with any kind of assurance that the 2013 Texans showed consistant lack of ability to close games out. That has nothing to do with the 2014 squad.

4. The Raiders have the worst record over a 12 year period than any team in NFL history. Basically they have been historically bad. That alone should mean you would have higher expectations in any team other than the Raiders.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 7:26 pm 

Hey I was only trying to make the average fan feel a little better. The Raiders might as well be the Cubs.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 8:36 am 

I have higher expectations for the Raiders than the Redskins.... that's about it

Mistahapie - 70 <Defiant> Troll War Mannoroth
Airyth - <Defiant> 70 Troll Mage Mannoroth
Iriani <Innoruuk's Legion> 52 DE Enc - Ebay
Mistahapie Bedwetter <Defiant> 70 TR War - VZ
Airyth <Defiant> 70 DE Enc - VZ
Crinekx <Defiant> 70 Frg Wiz - VZ

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 9:53 am 
Officer

Airyth wrote:
I have higher expectations for the Raiders than the Redskins.... that's about it

Not sure why you would say that. The Redskins have had a couple of play-off appearances and some 10-6 seasons since 2003. The Raiders have won 53 games since 2003. They have averaged 4 wins a season and make the Redskins look like a dynasty.

Every fan should end their complaints about their team with the following statement, "but at least we aren't the Raiders".

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 12:29 pm 

Yes but the Raiders isn't a racist team moniker. Also the Redskins mortgaged their future drafts for RG3 who can't stay healthy and even when healthy it's debatable if he's a franchise QB or just a good athlete who happens to be playing QB and is destined to the life of a below average starting QB or top notch backup. Next year the Redskins will be back to a normal draft status again unless Dan Snyder has a new win quick scheme mortgaging the future and bringing in a new crop of past their prime veterans or going after a top 5 can't miss draft pick again.

I just did some recent reading up more on Raiders recent history and you may be right they might actually be worse than the Redskins. Similar history of trading away draft picks for over the hill veterans. Since the 2002 superbowl appearance the only two .500 seasons were in 2010 and 2011. 2011 the Raiders were looking pretty good before Jason Campbell got injured and once again Oakland traded away picks for an aging veteran. Not that you can completely blame them they were 4-2 at the time and Carson Palmer clearly gave them a chance to stay competitive but now they're rebuilding once again.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 12:39 pm 

But they have Colt McCoy, who will lead them to the first quarter of a championship and then get injured so the team will lose to a team of inbred hicks who will take the championship trophy afterwards and display it at a fucking WalMart, as is appropriate for white trash.

Oh wait, that was just college.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2014 1:51 pm 

Lawl, now its time for the Ryan Mallett era.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2014 2:31 pm 

Jakensama wrote:

Sweet!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2014 5:45 pm 

Also, go Rockets. I care the least about NBA but if a Houston team is going to look good I'll be happy.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2014 10:29 am 

I already picked Mallet up for my fantasy team. I have Kaepernick and was worth a bench slot to see if Mallet can be worthwhile and I figure if Fitz was a serviceable fantasy qb then maybe Mallet will be Peyton Manning :)

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2014 11:02 am 

I have Luck and Matt Ryan so I think i'm good on QBs.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2014 1:55 pm 

In a perfect world Ryan Mallet and MC Hammer would make a buddy cop movie with Mallet being more the Mel Gibson and MC Hammer being the Danny Glover type. The best part is they could use their real names as the movie title. Or at the very least someone could hire them to do a spoof comedy commercial like this as an ad for old spice or something.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2014 5:16 pm 
Officer

Jakensama wrote:

I am surprised it took this long. Fitz played better than usual for you guys but he is still not the kind of guy you want chucking the ball around.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2014 12:36 pm 

Vllad wrote:
Jakensama wrote:

I am surprised it took this long. Fitz played better than usual for you guys but he is still not the kind of guy you want chucking the ball around.

Well we have no offensive line whatsoever, so it's probably a case of not wanting to do to a viable QB what we did to David Carr..

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2014 4:02 pm 
Officer

Jakensama wrote:
Vllad wrote:
Jakensama wrote:

Well we have no offensive line whatsoever, so it's probably a case of not wanting to do to a viable QB what we did to David Carr..

David's brother has a crappy line and he is one of the least sacked in the game right now. Actually his brother is playing pretty well. Is does make many rookie errors though. I think he has a future.

Didn't Houston have two shots at taking him?

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2014 5:16 pm 

Yes, we had two first round draft picks prior to him getting rafted. It would have been absurd to pick him first of all over clowney and Su’a-Filo is going to be very valuable to our line in a year or two.

Mallet looks like he might be competent, and O'Brien worked with him in New England so he probably had some insight on the issue. He has a fucking cannon.

IMO there were no QBs in that draft that were all that exciting.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2014 6:40 pm 

Didn't show the cannon on the first throw to AJ though. Mallet was decent, especially for a 1st game.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2014 1:00 am 

Mallet hurt his pec and is getting an MRI, may miss a couple weeks...

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2014 2:52 pm 

And his man-boob injury has benched him for the remainder of the season.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2014 3:42 pm 

Jakensama wrote:
And his man-boob injury has benched him for the remainder of the season.

I assume they will go back to Fitz, but like a lot of people, hopefully we see Savage

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2014 6:48 pm 

He ain't ready, and starting players too soon can fuck up what future upside they may have.

I liked bleacher report: http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2278 ... for-texans

"When a team goes through quarterbacks like a window shopper at a department store, often you'll notice the fans getting attached to the idea of a certain quarterback and ignoring the warts. For the Houston Texans, previous examples have included "I can't believe this T.J. Yates isn't made out of any Schaub-like materials" and "I buy this ratty Case Keenum dress because I support local businesses."

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2014 7:15 pm 

TJ Yates never showed any potential really. He had what, 1 decent game as a starter and then was pretty bad in pre-season. I agree with the Keenum quote but one thing about Keenum.. He is the oppositive of Schaub. He threw the ball down field and he could scramble which are 2 things Schaub didn't do and are 2 things that everyone hated about Schaub. I hope that Mallet was just injured which is why he sucked so bad this last game, but I have a hard time believing that his injury was causing him to throw the ball too hot and overthrowing receivers. I would think if he had a pectoral injury that he would have a hard time throwing the ball hard.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2014 7:54 pm 

Im sure the injury didn't help, but his throws were bad before they left his hand.

We're kind of in a no-win situation. I jsut worry about playing savage before he is ready and ruining a potential player for the upside of maybe making the playoffs if we are really lucky.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2014 12:43 am 

I agree Jake. I mean, do you think Aaron Rodgers would be a badass if he had played as a rookie? But should we flush the season down the toilet with Fitz?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 88 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next