The Purge

PvP for People Who Aren't Asshats
It is currently Sun Feb 18, 2018 1:55 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: "Booziest" state?
PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2014 4:41 pm 

https://www.yahoo.com/food/whats-americas-booziest-state-we-ranked-them-50-to-102981074676.html

I am somewhat surprised that Texas is #28..

Jake.. NY is #13 but not sure why this made me think you could relate "plus the nation’s highest concentration of substance-addled finance bros pounding vodka-sodas ‘til last call?!"

Post subject: Re: "Booziest" state?
PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2014 5:35 pm 

Vodka is for chumps, but yeah - between the drunk hipsters and the coked up drunk suits I don't doubt the city drags up the state's ranking quite a bit.

On that note, I'm off to the east village to pound some PBR and Bourbon until it feels warm again.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2014 12:06 am 

where do i rank?

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2014 7:38 pm 
Hail to the King

Not surprised to see Maryland so low. It's bizarre. They have weird liquor laws and the couple of restaurant owners I've talked to ("So, when's the bar opening?") have both said it's very difficult and expensive to get liquor licenses here. I could understand Bible belt teetotalers but I don't get where Maryland's anti-liquor stance comes from. (Although it probably comes from money. Government red tape = government $$$.)

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2014 10:59 pm 

Jakensama wrote:
Vodka is for chumps, but yeah - between the drunk hipsters and the coked up drunk suits I don't doubt the city drags up the state's ranking quite a bit.

On that note, I'm off to the east village to pound some PBR and Bourbon until it feels warm again.

everytime I see PBR my first thought is "Professional Bull Rider", which makes what you said pretty funny.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2014 1:15 pm 

Slamz wrote:
Not surprised to see Maryland so low. It's bizarre. They have weird liquor laws and the couple of restaurant owners I've talked to ("So, when's the bar opening?") have both said it's very difficult and expensive to get liquor licenses here. I could understand Bible belt teetotalers but I don't get where Maryland's anti-liquor stance comes from. (Although it probably comes from money. Government red tape = government $$$.)

Most of the northern state blue laws that are restrictive are holdovers from centuries old bible beating laws (like the retardedness in Connecticuit). These things are harder to close since the neo prohibitionit MADD folks are a lot more politically active than those who care to liberalize booze laws.

But yeah, licensing laws are a good ways for local government to make money without raising more visible taxes to pay for things.

NY has some odd ones, we can pretty much buy beer whenever, which is cool - but then you have weird laws like "you can't buy wine and beer at the same establishment".

Just glad I'm not in baptist okieland where they water down the beer.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2014 1:48 pm 

Vermont with a top 5 showing. I am so proud.

Our government has kept us in a perpetual state of fear - kept us in a continuous stampede of patriotic fervor - with the cry of grave national emergency. Always there has been some terrible evil at home or some monstrous foreign power that was going to gobble us up if we did not blindly rally behind it by furnishing the exorbitant funds demanded. Yet, in retrospect, these disasters seem never to have happened, seem never to have been quite real. ~General Douglas MacArthur

It constantly amazes me that defenders of the free market are expected to offer certainty and perfection while government has only to make promises and express good intentions. ~ Lawrence Reed

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2014 2:11 pm 

What else is there to do in Vermont other than Booze and Ben and Jerrys?

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2014 4:31 pm 

Make maple syrup, eat cheddar cheese, and complain about 'flatlanders'.

Our government has kept us in a perpetual state of fear - kept us in a continuous stampede of patriotic fervor - with the cry of grave national emergency. Always there has been some terrible evil at home or some monstrous foreign power that was going to gobble us up if we did not blindly rally behind it by furnishing the exorbitant funds demanded. Yet, in retrospect, these disasters seem never to have happened, seem never to have been quite real. ~General Douglas MacArthur

It constantly amazes me that defenders of the free market are expected to offer certainty and perfection while government has only to make promises and express good intentions. ~ Lawrence Reed