The Purge

PvP for People Who Aren't Asshats
It is currently Wed Feb 21, 2018 6:30 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2015 10:20 am 
Officer

Zouji wrote:
In the Walking Dead world however, most people that can't get over the shock get Darwined out of the living people pool.

This is the biggest problem I have with the Walking Dead in general (to a much lesser extent in the original show although there are still characters there who seem to, after all this time, still fail to accept the fundamental change in how you must interact with the world) and certainly with this new series. In something like a zombie apocalypse people who are unable to adjust quickly to what is going on are going to be dead. You simply cannot stick your head in the sand and survive in a zombie apocalypse. You adapt quickly or you die.

"Consensus: The process of abandoning all beliefs, principles, values, and policies in search of something in which no one believes, but to which no one objects; the process of avoiding the very issues that have to be solved, merely because you cannot get agreement on the way ahead." -Margaret Thatcher

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2015 9:03 pm 

Zirak wrote:
Zouji wrote:
In the Walking Dead world however, most people that can't get over the shock get Darwined out of the living people pool.

This is the biggest problem I have with the Walking Dead in general (to a much lesser extent in the original show although there are still characters there who seem to, after all this time, still fail to accept the fundamental change in how you must interact with the world) and certainly with this new series. In something like a zombie apocalypse people who are unable to adjust quickly to what is going on are going to be dead. You simply cannot stick your head in the sand and survive in a zombie apocalypse. You adapt quickly or you die.

I suppose it depends where you were, you could be in the shitty town I lived in alaska with 500 people who owend probably 3000 guns between them and no significant population center near you and it would probably take a while for reality to stumble towards you. Or rural <insert flyover village here>.

In big cities, yeah - shit would get real quick.. Lots of people=lots of zombies, and cities require incoming resources to function, so even without zombies shit gets bad.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2015 9:56 am 
Officer

Last nights show while not a bad episode just shows how poorly they are laying out what is going on.

Apparently the battle for the city continues to go on as is evidence by all of the multiple injuries at the medical facility. Apparently this facility is quite large and at least still gives the appearance their are large spots of survivors attempting to clean out the city. At least until the military decides to call it quits and pulls out.

This makes what they did in episode 4 all the more worse. By not showing the bigger picture and locking in the characters of the story behind a fence I think they ruined any chance of providing what they advertised this show would be about.

Writing for Television is done in such a vacuum that it more often than not derails shows telling a long term story, see Lost as the prime example. X-files mythology was written by 2 people so it avoided those problems but we have yet to see a repeat writer for Fear.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2015 1:17 pm 

Funny how that fight for the city requires them to urban assault office buildings ala anti-terrorist style. We all know how dangerous zombies are with stashing IEDs and weapons. Like i said, they made the military engage at knife point and turned them into bad guys too with code word cobalt. You'd think protection of the civilian population would be priority number one since them getting killed creates more zombies. Instead, the writers choose to make them part of the problem. Also funny that an Army commercial came on during this show. My wife goes, "who'd want to join after watching this?" The writers really trashed the military by using the boring Hollywood scapegoating.

Ya the writers really messed up in my opinion. The could have really development a good series but by ignoring those 9ish days they dropped any uniqueness. The show just seems average at best and another Walking dead soap opera. I guess this gives them an out to kill off everyone in TWD and still have a zombie show...

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2015 3:08 pm 
Officer

The flaw of the show can be pin pointed to one single item.

They have chosen to roll out the story by just telling it instead of showing it. Nothing actually happens that you see. The Battle of Hardhome in GOT wouldn't really have the same impact it did if someone just shows up at the wall and talks about it. Actually seeing it actually mattered.

The Nat Guard storms the library and all you see is a guy in the car hearing screams. This entire show is one big guy sitting in a car listening to the action not actually participating in it.

While telling the story can work the one problem with that format is you have to ACTUALLY TELL THE FUCKING STORY! Skipping past the story while we watch 90210 play out during the zombie apocolyse is weak sauce. Apparently this show has all the dumb writers under contract.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2015 4:02 pm 

Vllad wrote:
The Nat Guard storms the library and all you see is a guy in the car hearing screams. This entire show is one big guy sitting in a car listening to the action not actually participating in it.

That so very true.

If they'd gone the "Aliens" approach, it would have increased the shows interest level x10. In that movie, the guy stayed in the car and it was highly engaging and suspenseful. I don't know how they are going to make this series remotely interesting at this point.

This pretty much sums it up:
http://www.forbes.com/sites/erikkain/20 ... king-dead/

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2015 4:15 pm 
Officer

I think blame should be squarely on AMC for not giving the show the money it deserves for a Walking Dead product that is the backbone of their channel. It seems very cheap and low production value...heck they couldn't even afford to film it in LA except for the pilot, they've since moved to Canada for shooting.

But also, Robert Kirkman is NOT a television writer, and frankly an average writer in general who lucked into releasing a product people were ravenous for. So he probably shouldn't have been handed the keys to this product. The characters stink, the situations stink...why are they already barricaded behind a fence by the 3rd episode? Because cheap, cheap, cheap.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2015 4:26 pm 

Yeah, 50% or more of the material from "The Walking Dead" comes from the comics. They just mix and match character situations to suit the show.

With that much material already written you can pick and choose what you want that will work for TV. With "Fear the Walking Dead" everything had to be written from scratch. Like you guys said, if you have a low budget to work with there is only so much you can do. The best spin-off or mini-series idea I have heard about was the Fall of Atlanta story line that I mentioned.

HE CAN BOWL, HE CAN DRINK, HE CAN DRINK SOME MORE, ALA-BA-MA-MAN!
When wife asks him where he's been, just use the action button and Alabama Man busts her lip open!
"Shut up, Bitch!"
"Wow!"
BEATS HIS WIFE AND SLEEPS IT OFF, A-LA-BA-MA MAN!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2015 7:19 pm 

I'm treating it like I did the agents of shield. I'm accepting that is sucks for the 1st season and hoping it turns into a good show eventually.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2015 12:39 pm 
Officer

So let me get this straight,

*You leave the community when the military does and leave the gate wide open so the families you left behind can die
*Your plan is to release the zombies in the Arena and some how guide them to the military compound where your loved ones are being held (given that most of them have only seen the old woman zombie this is an amazing trick)
*You bring the zombies to the military compound then sneak in leaving the gate unsecurred 50 yards from the zombie horde you just lead
*You leave your kids behind and split up when the entire purpose of your trip is to reunite your family
*Amazingly the very zombies you lead to the compound now try to eat some of your family while you try to escape
*After getting a ton of people killed by bringing the zombies to the compound you exit the compound and are disgusted with how the military has been burning the dead. Really? You just murdered a bunch of people and you have room to judge the military?

Wow

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2015 3:16 pm 

Yeah. I also like how a M60 and all of the other assault rifles clinked off the fence but amazingly they did very little damage to that horde of zombies. With the amount of firepower they have shooting at point blank range there should have been at least a 3 foot mound by the fence. Apparently, Rick and his son can hold off a bunch of zombies at the prison but a platoon of soldiers trained to fight can't. The writers really hosed the military.

I also like that a large powerboat is their answer to freedom. That's probably a worse choice than the desert unless they have some serious mariners in that group.