The Purge

PvP for People Who Aren't Asshats
It is currently Wed Feb 21, 2018 6:50 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2016 10:55 pm 

https://www.amazon.com/Amazon-JK29LP-Trojan-Dash-Button/dp/B01C3JBA7M/ref=lp_10667898011_1_11?s=digital-text&ie=UTF8&qid=1481683688&sr=1-11

So i somehow clicked on one of these today and I am in awe of the idea behind this (Yes I chose this specific link just because it made me laugh, I mean if you need a button for it you might as well just go get them now!).

Is this something that you would use? I mean I can totally see the idea behind this. Put a button next to your washing machine for detergent and things of this nature. But is shopping for this stuff really that hard or time consuming that you need a button for it?

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2016 11:47 pm 

For how often someone in my family uses the last roll of TP and doesn't write it on the grocery list, I can see a use. But most of this stuff is perishables that I wouldn't buy from Amazon anyways, which is why I don't use them.

They don't have a large enough variety for what you can get.. I mean I don't even use the kind of TP that they have available. Probably the same for the laundry detergent and other things I might think about using it for.

I think the concept is sound, but they need to sell a blank one that you can tie anything amazon sells to. Right now they are all branded.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2016 11:48 pm 

Of course if you're out of TP, pressing the button still doesn't help.

Naval Action: Arsilon - Spain (PVP1), France (PVP2)
EQII: Arsilon - Wizard, Thalena - Fury, Ulrok - Berserker, Valience - Dirge, Ashlyn - Ranger
Elder Scrolls Online: Thalena - Templar, Arsilon - Dragonknight
GW2: Thalena - Elementalist
Rift: Arsilonne - Warrior, Arathon - Mage, Valience - Cleric, Arrienne - Rogue
Aion: Thalena, Arsilon
APB: Arsilon - Enforcer, Thalena - Criminal
EVE: Arsilon
Global Agenda: Thalena
POTBS: [British] Arsilon Gunn, Thalena Biggs, Amazing Mumford
Star Trek Online: Ar'silon - Klingon, Thalena - Federation
WAR: Arsilon, Valience, Thalena
WW2OL: Arsilon

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2016 11:53 pm 

Arsilon wrote:
Of course if you're out of TP, pressing the button still doesn't help.

Yea... and it may cause you to order multiple bundles in panic. (actually I'm pretty sure they have built in features to stop that from happening)

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2016 12:17 pm 
Officer

I bought some (Tide, TP, Cat Litter) because they are basically free after the first use. I don't see them being successful.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2016 12:52 pm 
Hail to the King

I have yet to get one and I'm an Amazon fanatic. My UPS driver must think I run a business out of my house.

It is tempting though. Maybe I'll try the laundry detergent one. That's exactly the sort of thing I never think of except when I'm physically loading in laundry. Might as well have a button down there for it.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2016 1:15 pm 

Another thing I just thought about. Amazon prime is great with free 2 day shipping but if you run out of toilet paper or laundry detergent (or condoms), waiting 2 days to get it isn't exactly a great option when most people can literally get to the grocery store in 5-10 minutes. What would make sense is if they ever get their same day delivery service going (like with the drones and shit). You press a button and a couple hours later your condoms show up. I could see that being feasible, but first Amazon has to make it fiscally possible.

I definitely see ideas like this as the way of the future, just don't think having a button for it is going to be the end game, although with all of the home-connected voice applications they are toying with, I could see that being the end game.

Run out of tp.

"FUCK!!!! Amazon send me some toilet paper" - TP shows up in 2 hours. If they can deliver it directly to you on the toilet that would be even better.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2016 2:41 pm 
Officer

TinStar wrote:
"FUCK!!!! Amazon send me some toilet paper" - TP shows up in 2 hours. If they can deliver it directly to you on the toilet that would be even better.

I think that is definitely the goal, and they probably shouldn't have released the tags so early before drone delivery.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2016 3:10 pm 

I had a buddy over and my second ps4 controller died, Amazon now had a new one to me in 45 mins.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2016 3:44 pm 
Officer

Jakensama wrote:
I had a buddy over and my second ps4 controller died, Amazon now had a new one to me in 45 mins.

Placate rich, Brooklyn hipsters, you placate the world.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2016 10:01 pm 

I heartell savages outside the borough have to leave their homes for things sometimes.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2016 11:36 pm 

That's cool but it's so limited that it basically doesn't exist. I checked and they have it available in Houston (4th largest city) to 1 zip code. When they can do that to the majority of all major cities, then they will be onto something.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2016 12:44 am 

The point of the buttons isn't for the stuff you need immediately. It's for the stuff you run out of and need in a week like detergent. When you get low you just hit the button and forget about it, then in a few days you get what you were running out of. You put them where the item is you use that way you can order it right when you realize you're running low.

They will succeed because it's a low cost item that serves a niche use. They don't have to make all of their profit off of it, it's just another input method to sale items through.

If you need something immediately, the best option is always going to be to just go get it. There's a walmart within 5 minutes of pretty much everyone and Amazon will never compete with that for immediate need items.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2016 10:36 am 

TinStar wrote:
That's cool but it's so limited that it basically doesn't exist. I checked and they have it available in Houston (4th largest city) to 1 zip code. When they can do that to the majority of all major cities, then they will be onto something.

True, but I also thought Uber wouldn't work in Houston due to urban sprawl and was pretty amazed at how good and cheap it was last time I stayed downtown. Getting to Hobby was super cheap and it was negligible to go back and forth from the heights and other areas you would want to go inside the loop - back in the days Taxis were rare, unreliable, and stupid expensive.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2016 11:50 am 
Hail to the King

I think FAA regulations have pretty well shut down Amazon's drone delivery idea. They're still working on it but presumably either not for America or in the hopes that they can eventually get the FAA to change the rules.

But they are starting to take over their own last-mile deliveries. I think my deliveries now are like 1/3rd USPS, 1/3rd UPS and 1/3rd "Amazon" -- usually like a white minivan with an Amazon sign stuck on the side (looks magnetic, or like a sticker). I guess as they ramp that up, they'll be freer to start setting their own delivery times.

Just the ability to deliver things after 5pm would probably help Amazon a lot. There's lots of people in lots of condos, apartments and townhomes that can't safely take a package at 1pm. They're not home, there's no stoop and the package just sits in the open until they get home. If they could set something that says "deliver from 6pm - 10pm" or "I'm home, deliver in the next hour", Amazon could unlock a lot more business.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2016 1:49 pm 

Slamz wrote:
Just the ability to deliver things after 5pm would probably help Amazon a lot. There's lots of people in lots of condos, apartments and townhomes that can't safely take a package at 1pm. They're not home, there's no stoop and the package just sits in the open until they get home. If they could set something that says "deliver from 6pm - 10pm" or "I'm home, deliver in the next hour", Amazon could unlock a lot more business.

Yea, there is a big problem in Houston with people driving around and stealing packages off of people's front doorsteps.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2016 5:03 pm 

We get quite a few of the "amazon" deliveries and it's never a white van with an amazon magnet on the side. It's always a beat up car, unmarked with not so well groomed/dressed dude delivering the packages. The other day I get home around 2 pm and there is this beat up car sitting in front of my house with a guy sitting in it and when I get out he takes off, then come to find out it was an amazon package.

I totally think delivering after 5 more would help them, but they already do that around here as I have received packages as late as 9 pm from Amazon.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2016 6:07 pm 

I think last I heard the FAA was requiring drones to be controlled by a person and not autonomous, which pretty much ends any chance that they become mainstream in the US... unless the rules are changed.

We have an amazon warehouse relatively close to my house, so deliveries are pretty smooth for us as well. We get a mixture of the little amazon van, or random people delivering amazon packages to us all the time. UPS delivers to us late as well(granted, I don't think their late deliveries are a service to the customers, just that they couldn't do it during normal business hours). If you order gift cards from amazon, they arrive the next day with prime, presumably because it skips the middle man and comes directly from their local warehouses.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2016 6:11 pm 

Maren wrote:
Slamz wrote:

Yea, there is a big problem in Houston with people driving around and stealing packages off of people's front doorsteps.

Yea, we get packages delivered pretty often and have yet to have a problem with it... but the need to have a camera on the front porch is definitely rising. I've thought about getting one of the ring doorbells that has the camera and allows you to see and talk to whoever is at the door, but I haven't went through with it yet.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2016 12:49 pm 

Yea, I bought and installed the ring doorbell at my house, as well as additional Ring cameras for the driveway and back door. They work pretty well - you set the motion detection range (from 5 feet minimum to a maximum of 30 feet) and it will trigger alerts on your smartphone. The driveway camera is a pain at the moment as I have it set to 30' motion detection, as any time the wind blows on the trees, it triggers a motion alert on my phone. I'm about to do some extreme pruning on a few trees and bushes.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 3:19 pm 
Officer

I picked up an Amazon Fire last week. While once you get it working it is much nicer than Apple, Amazon still has a ways to go. Doing updates is a major pain in the ass. It is just like doing Paradox updates. You have to do them one at a time. I had to update my new Fire box 7 times to get to the most recent version. You have to stack each update on top of each other, one update doesn't change everything.

I got a game controller with my Fire system which is kind of a joke. That only games available are app games which you could argue are only made worse by a controller. The controller is top of the line as well. You would think you are going to get some PS games by the look of it but really things like Bejeweled is all you get. Now Vanna does play app games but since Fire allows you to mirror on your phone the game controller is totally useless.

Here is the catch. If you get the controller version they don't give you a Remote. You HAVE to use the game controller as the TV remote. That would be ok if I could somehow get Steam to work with Fire but I couldn't figure that out.

While Amazon Fire eliminates all buffering for streaming and gives you access to pretty much everything except Apple (who the fuck cares) including Sirius, I could see never again using regular TV. Even the Network streaming options eliminates watching any kind of Television with commercials of any kind. It doesn't matter if it is the WB or CBS. Cable Television is now pointless since now you can just download the channels you want to watch and nothing more. As soon as they add the NFL package I will probably drop Direct TV. Basically Amazon Fire eliminates the need for anything else.

However, they put some much work into giving you the 100% streaming options for everything that they gave you some pretty stupid shit that goes with it. A Game controller for a TV remote, bat shit crazy updates, video cracking if not on current versions, the requirement of voice activation and numerous other common sense things that make you just go "uh?"

Amazon Fire which is superior to Apple in every way seems like it was designed by super electronic geniuses that never have watched Television in their lives. This basically leaves some very basic common sense things left out that leave you scratching your head.

So they have come far but they have a ways to go.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 7:06 pm 

Vllad wrote:
Amazon Fire which is superior to Apple in every way

Lies.

We have have 4 of the latest AppleTV, and it rocks. Great games, great apps, great experience. Using DirectTVNow at the moment, although probably won't stick with it. Netflix, Hulu, HBONow give us pretty much everything we need.

(We have a Fire stick too which we got on the cheap, and haven't used it since the first week).

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 9:19 pm 

Grieve wrote:
Vllad wrote:

Lies.
But can you ask it to buy you stuff using your voice?

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 12:01 pm 
Officer

Grieve wrote:
Vllad wrote:

Lies.

(We have a Fire stick too which we got on the cheap, and haven't used it since the first week).

It isn't even a close race. Especially if you use Amazon Prime for anything.

First, we aren't talking about Fire Stick which is using the poor mans version. To compare Oranges to Oranges we are talking about Amazon Fire Box.

The Amazon Fire box offers 4G which Apple does not so buffering issues disappear completely and make it so you can run far superior things through the box. Apple is a 64 bit, 32 GB processor while Fire is 2GHz Quad-core processor plus 600 mgz graphics processor with 8 gig of external storage. Basically the Amazon fire box can compete with PC's as far as graphic processing. Amazon also provides upgrades in memory sticks to handle bigger jobs if you want to spend the cash.

It isn't even close.

The amount of apps available isn't even close either.

Granted Apple doesn't have access to Amazon Prime and Amazon doesn't have access to Apple but I am ok with that. Amazon Prime allows much cheaper streaming options and the Amazon Fire box is just so much cheaper to operate. This is especially important if you have grandkids and kids running around the house.

For over all beefiness Roku is probably better than both but if you want to run gaming products through Steam Amazon is the way to go. Apple absolutely sucks for gaming.

Don't get me wrong as I pointed out in my earlier post these "all in" boxes have their short comings but Apple isn't even in the top 3 of quality when it comes to wrapping all your features into a single box. The only thing that Apple does well in this area is phone mirror options. Apple TV movie options isn't too bad but those are the only two things I can say positive of Apple TV.

If you are using Apple TV as it is currently constructed you will not be using the device as an "all in" device unless your needs are very thin. If you want devices to do it all you need Amazon Fire or Roku.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 10:35 am 

Probably just a case of coming at it differently. I'd compare it to Wii vs PS or XBox. The latter might have technically better specs, but it's the experience (in this case family experience) I'm looking for.

I don't care about console-level graphics or gameplay - I never have a chance to play those. I'm looking for family games, which are great on the AppleTV. We can play 6 player games using a combination of remote, game pad, iPhones and iPads.

Movie and TV wise, we are only missing Amazon, which we can stream to the TV if we want. And that's down to Amazon not wanting to release a native app. We own over 400 movies on iTunes, so fine staying in that ecosystem. I also find it's the cheapest option, since you can regularly get iTunes cards at 20% off, and they have sales of good, recent movies at $9.99 ($8 with discount) every week.

Global search is terrific. Makes it really easy to find if a movie or show is already free on Netflix, Hulu, TNT, HBO, etc. And I find the Siri search and trackpad remote work much better than the Amazon controller.

Never have any streaming issues - movies start instantly in HD without any pauses or glitches.

Anyway, specs are usually a red herring. For years android users have pointed to iPhones having less cores, slower clock, etc as a sign of inferiority, only to have the iPhone blow the higher specced android phone out of the water in benchmarks. Let's face it, Apple just does it better. :wink: