The Purge

PvP for People Who Aren't Asshats
It is currently Mon Jan 22, 2018 12:16 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2009 3:00 pm 
Officer

Not in MMOGs; relative to the advances in FPS games to be sure.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2009 11:55 am 

Slamz wrote:
That quote by Dokupuffs is awesome.

Being able to communicate with the enemy in game is what its about. None of this forum trolling crap considering 1/2 of the server doesn't do it.

Riona ~ Knight of the Blazing Sun ~ WAR:AoR
Kakarat ~ Swashbuckler ~ EQ2 ~ Venekor
Eef Eigten[F-18]~ 60 Aracoix Rogue ~ Shadowbane
Kakarat ~ 60 Ogre Warrior ~ EQ ~ VZ

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2009 1:25 pm 

Kakarat wrote:
Slamz wrote:

Being able to communicate with the enemy in game is what its about. None of this forum trolling crap considering 1/2 of the server doesn't do it.

I'd support seeing enemy /shout & /say but not tells, unless there are alliance/ally systems and its faction based.
Hardcoded teams = no tells

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2009 1:09 pm 

Diggles wrote:
Kakarat wrote:
Slamz wrote:

I'd support seeing enemy /shout & /say but not tells, unless there are alliance/ally systems and its faction based.
Hardcoded teams = no tells

That is where languages come in...No common tongue... It is always jarbled until you have a certain faction. And if you lose that certain faction it becomes jarbled again.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2009 4:14 pm 

Kakarat wrote:
That is where languages come in...No common tongue... It is always jarbled until you have a certain faction. And if you lose that certain faction it becomes jarbled again.

That doesnt make any sense though. I can learn arabic or chinese, yet I'm sure they hate me.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2009 6:52 pm 

Diggles wrote:
Kakarat wrote:

That doesnt make any sense though. I can learn arabic or chinese, yet I'm sure they hate me.

Mr. Nazi, does it have to make sense? It is a video game. Magic does not make sense.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2009 8:19 pm 

Kakarat wrote:
Diggles wrote:
Kakarat wrote:

Mr. Nazi, does it have to make sense? It is a video game. Magic does not make sense.

Language isnt magic. You dont forget language just because someone doesnt like you anymore

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2009 9:25 pm 
Hail to the King

I've always thought that in general, game elements should make sense unless there's simply no other solution to a problem.

Kinda like I was telling Dustie when he was talking about his desire to see line formations in game, like you'd see in a real life battle. Figure out why people did it in real life and then you can figure out why it's not working in the game. (e.g., real life has player collision and it's damn hard to block your front and your side at the same time, so lines that protect your side are the best way to go. If real life didn't have body collision or flanking bonuses, real battles would be mobs of people hacking wildly at each other, just like MMORPGs)

Ditto for magic. You can't make flinging fireballs "work like reality" but you can still make it "realistic" in the sense that its behavior can be explained and makes sense within the physics of the game world. Star Trek is famous for this - everything has a reasonable, even if entirely fake, explanation for why it works the way it does.

Anyway, I'd have to think about languages in a game. I don't know that there's a really compelling reason to have characters speak in different languages. What does that add to the gameplay? Does letting two people not talk to each other add to the gameplay?

I also agree with "no tells across factions", though. Mostly what that adds to the game is annoying enemies crying to you in tells after you kill them.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2009 3:19 am 

Slamz wrote:
Star Trek is famous for this - everything has a reasonable, even if entirely fake, explanation for why it works the way it does.

History channel has an awesome show, the Science of StarTrek and just about EVERYTHING is rooted in real science. We already have working prototypes (abet on TINY scales) of transporters and shields. Energy beam weapons, aka Phasers, are almost in working models for warfare and warp theory has been mathematically proven sound.

They also have a version of this show for StarWars.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2009 7:57 am 

We have the capacity for directed energy weapons but Phasers work with fictional star trek science (where you invent funky new radiations and particles on a regular basis).

Quote:
Originally (from the production notes to TOS), the Phaser was a PHoton mASER, since at the time of writing the Laser was a relative unknown, and powers were not expected to be very great. Masers, on the other hand, were already very powerful machines which produce very destructive radiation pulses. The term "phaser" has since been revised as a backronym for PHASed Energy Rectification, though from a physics standpoint even this is of equal semantic content—ordinary incoherent light is not "rectified", or synchronous, whereas Lasing and Masing emissions are rectified, or synchronous. Phasers make a beam of a fictional type of subatomic particles called "rapid nadions"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Weapons_of ... ek#Phasers

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2009 9:45 am 
Officer

I like being cried to after I kill someone. I also like shaking virtual hands after a really good combat against a good opponent. I definitely think EQ had it right for my tastes.