The Purge

PvP for People Who Aren't Asshats
It is currently Mon Jan 22, 2018 7:58 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Amazon
PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2014 2:59 am 

Hmmm, considering I pay $70 a year for fresh direct to deliver groceries to my door, I think $300 might not be so competitive.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2014 9:43 am 

But can you talk into a thingy to make a grocery list that magically makes shit appear? I think not... ;)

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2014 12:30 pm 
Hail to the King

Amazon has been tinkering with grocery delivery for years. Never been available near me. For $300/year, I would probably skip it. I guess I might be more inclined if I were an actual city dweller though and had to rely on public transportation (or Zipcars) to get my groceries. As a suburbanite, the main reason to want groceries delivered is laziness (which is also the main reason I buy almost everything else from Amazon).

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2014 1:00 pm 

Yeah there were rumors that Amazon was going to try to buy Fresh Direct so they had their infrastructure, guess it didn't work. If you are in the burbs driving to the store isn't a big deal anyway.. Then again, a huge whole foods with a parking lot opened up a few blocks from me and my lazy ass still gets things delivered.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2014 4:15 pm 

Jakensama wrote:
Yeah there were rumors that Amazon was going to try to buy Fresh Direct so they had their infrastructure, guess it didn't work. If you are in the burbs driving to the store isn't a big deal anyway.. Then again, a huge whole foods with a parking lot opened up a few blocks from me and my lazy ass still gets things delivered.

For $70 a year, I probably would as well...

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2014 9:12 am 

I'd pay $300 if they had it here. Probably not worth it for a couple or single person, but not a bad deal for a family. We spent about $18k on groceries last year, so an extra $300 would be worth it to save the twice weekly 40m round trip to the grocery store (plus an hour in the store, plus gas, plus the whiny kids wanting everything they see).

Amazon is eventually going to be the only company left in the world, because they do everything. They'll be like Buy N Large in Wall-E. Eventually they will even kill Walmart.

I finally gave into inevitability and sold off some of my Apple to buy Amazon and Google. Doesn't look like anything (apart from a pullback) is going to stop them powering higher.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2014 10:54 am 
Hail to the King

I've been hoping for an Amazon price crash to buy back in but maybe the current dip is as good as it gets, short of a general market crash.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 12:23 pm 

Amazon just announced a deal with hbo to start offering some hbo content through prime. No game of thrones yet and mostly old stuff, but still. .. This could be the next step to getting hbo outside of cable.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 1:32 pm 

Maybe, but they only get shows 3 years after they air on HBO, which is a long time. I can't wait for my Game Of Thrones fix for that long. :) I'm hopeful you will eventually be able to use HBO.GO without a cable subscription, even if it's $30 or so. For now I use it with a family member's logon creds, but I'd be okay with paying $20-30.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 2:22 pm 

After HBO go shit the bed for the True Detective finale and GOT premier, I'm back to waiting an hour and pirating the shows

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2014 9:55 am 

I can only hope this is the begining of freeing up HBO policy. But as long as they are owned by a cable company, they will continue to leverage HBO to cell cable service. They have no motivation strip near realtime HBO content from cable subscriptions. Infact it would result in massive cord cutters.

"If you want to change the world, be that change."
--Gandhi

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 7:32 pm 

Vanraw wrote:
I can only hope this is the begining of freeing up HBO policy.

It was!

http://www.forbes.com/sites/amadoudiallo/2014/10/16/hbo-unbundled-what-it-means-for-cord-cutters/

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2014 2:17 pm 
Officer

Vanraw wrote:
Infact it would result in massive cord cutters.

Not so sure about that. Especially when people see that it is cheaper to buy within their cable package than as a standalone.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2014 2:20 pm 
Hail to the King

Breand wrote:
Not so sure about that. Especially when people see that it is cheaper to buy within their cable package than as a standalone.

Unless the only reason you weren't cutting the cord is because of HBO.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2014 2:28 pm 

Most people tech savvy enough to cord cut can figure out that an HBO go login can be shared amongst many people, I think like 10 different folk are using mine.

The only real reason to not cord cut is sports, you can watch bootleg streams but they suck and its a pain to get them onto your tv if you don't have a direct computer-tv connection.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2014 4:32 pm 
Officer

As an example, Optimum charges $15 to upgrade to the Silver Package, which includes all the HBO, Showtime, and Starz networks. HBO Go and Showtime Anywhere, (does Starz have a version?) are of course included. So will HBO charge less than $15, still have people lose access to Showtime (which is finally starting to get some good programming as well) and will people choose that option over cord cutting? And the cable companies might reduce the price of HBO just to retain customers.

The only people it really targets are the younger online generation that doesn't need/want cable and are willing to pay for it instead of using their parent's HBOGo IDs or bootlegging it.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2014 10:02 pm 

Slamz wrote:
Breand wrote:

Unless the only reason you weren't cutting the cord is because of HBO.

ThIs is me really. Every month I pay the bill for cable, and hbo is one of the major motivates for not cutting the chord. Sure I can get it all for free, but I don't.

"If you want to change the world, be that change."
--Gandhi