The Purge

PvP for People Who Aren't Asshats
It is currently Tue Jan 23, 2018 9:43 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2013 11:20 am 
Hail to the King

Yeah, malware on Android is greatly overblown. I've never known anyone who had any problem with it. I think most people just aren't going to the store and downloading random crap for no reason. And to my knowledge there's not some big piracy trend like on the PC, which is how most people get malware. There's also strict limits on what malware can actually do. There are no "viruses" in the sense of a program infecting another program and then transferring between devices, nor can apps do really nefarious things like dial 911 (you would have to root your phone and then install Superuser and then give the app superuser permissions...)

I think Apple's restrictions will continue to hurt them in the long run. If you have an app idea and want to get it to market, Android is the way to go. With Apple there will be a delay and it's feasible they could simply deny you permission to sell your app.

Most serious developers aim to support both platforms because Apple does still have a good market share, but if you're an independent developer and only have time for 1 platform, I would definitely go Android. Not only can you get it out there faster and with 100% guarantee it'll ship, but your global market will be bigger.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2013 7:15 pm 

I don't know, 1 million Android apps with malware by the end of this year doesn't sounds overblown to me. Did you read the article I linked? And since 24% of those steal data, are you sure you'd even know if you'd been affected? Apps with "Badnews" alone have been downloads over 2 million times, and that's just from Google Play.

Also don't buy Jake's market share argument. Sure Android has the largest market share now, but it's big lead is fairly recent, and that doesn't explain why of 149 families and variants of malware, 136 are on Android, 13 are on Symbian, and ZERO are on iOS, Blackberry, or Windows Mobile.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2013 9:18 pm 

I will take the dire warnings of a company that sells security software with a grain of salt. I mean, its not like they would have anything to gain by scaring people into buying security software or anything.

Yeah, the openness of android makes it a bit more dangerous. If you want to strip yourself of choice in order to cower in fear about the big bad world rather than take some common sense precautions, then by all means use IOS, and also live in a germ free room never leaving your house as well.

Google play has a bit of malware, hardly ubiquitous and most people never run into it. The vast majority of the unverifiable numbers comes from the fact that there are about 500 different app stores for Android, many abroad, that most people who use Android will never see. Certainly nothing worrisome about paying a premium to use a "safe" store with limited options bundled with a sub-par os. (Or, god forbid a grossly overpriced mini-tablet with shitty resolution).

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2013 11:15 pm 

Jakensama wrote:
(Or, god forbid a grossly overpriced mini-tablet with shitty resolution).

2048x1536 retina iPad mini arrives in October.... Highest resolution plus 35% more screen real estate than the Nexus 7, not to mention hugely better tablet apps. And a screen and gps that actually works.

http://www.knowyourmobile.com/google/google-nexus-7-2/20975/nexus-7-2-2013-now-has-screen-and-gps-flaws

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2013 11:32 pm 

Grieve wrote:
Jakensama wrote:
(Or, god forbid a grossly overpriced mini-tablet with shitty resolution).

2048x1536 retina iPad mini arrives in October.... Highest resolution plus 35% more screen real estate than the Nexus 7, not to mention hugely better tablet apps. And a screen and gps that actually works.

http://www.knowyourmobile.com/google/google-nexus-7-2/20975/nexus-7-2-2013-now-has-screen-and-gps-flaws

I was referring to their laughable first attempt at the mini, an inferior device (although the Nexus 7 2 has 323 pixels per inch compared to 265 ppi on a retina, so i guess that retina might have some cataracts on it in comparison). Not sure a few users complaining indicates widespread problems, as for GPS - if thats what you have to reach to attack it, its pretty lame. Who the hell even uses a GPS on a tablet, I am guessing if you have a tablet you have a smartphone..

Then again I see retarded tourists taking pictures with ipads on wall street occasionally, so I suppose I should never underestimate the need for Apple users to try to flaunt their purchases in public to make up for the fact that they overpaid for mediocrity.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2013 11:56 pm 

nothing makes you look like more of a tool than using a tablet to record video and take pictures in public...

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2013 12:56 am 
Hail to the King

A million apps with malware?

I have a feeling they have a REALLY broad definition of "malware". According to this site, there aren't even 900,000 total apps in the market: http://www.appbrain.com/stats/number-of-android-apps

This just in! Trend Micro reports eleventy gajillion malware apps on the market! The only thing that can save you is Trend Micro's new app! $29.99!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2013 10:51 pm 

Grieve wrote:
It seems pretty clear that a lot of first-time smartphone buyers get an Android due to pricing and sledgehammer marketing, realize it's not a premium experience, and upgrade to an iPhone next time round. Which is why Android is plateauing in the US - not many first time buyers left. While the rest of the world still has a long way to get to that point.

AllthingsD just said that the new iphone(s) are being announced Sept 10th, by the way. Hopefully the stock will start trending higher in anticipation.

I don't know of a single person that has gone from Android to apple, but several that went from Apple to Android. Mostly because of price points and better technology at the time (Such as Apples slow response to 4g). In fact I know allot of people that were very pissed at the apple 4s and its lack of 4g support, and Apple fan boys selling that it was just as fast as 4g..... what a joke.

Also on Malware, I think this is more like fearware. the fear of malware is people tracking and grabbing your personal information. Credit Card numbers, SS num, passwords etc. Googles Malware is popping you adds based on your browsing. I don't have a problem with that at all.

Anyway, Apple is still missing innovation. Nothing new. And the rumors of a finger print reader..... YAWN.

"If you want to change the world, be that change."
--Gandhi

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2013 11:26 am 

Yes, if only they had Samsung's skill at packing the phone with useless novelty features that no one uses...

I know lots of people that went from Android to iPhone, but really the only thing that matters is the overall numbers. That shows iOS with far higher brand loyalty than Android.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2013 11:33 am 
Hail to the King

I don't think it's "brand loyalty" so much as "hostage taking". I know people who want to switch to Android but are queasy about trying to get out the pit they dug themselves into by going with Apple/iTunes to begin with.

Apple is its own microcosm and once they suck you in, it's going to take some effort to get out. Interesting business model for retaining customers but I always warn people against taking up anything Apple does for that reason.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2013 11:54 am 

ugh Itunes... the worst software ever written.

As for the hostage taking... I think both Apple and Android are guilty of it. I have my entire online profile tied to my google account... if Apple were to come out with a phone I just had to have, it wouldn't be an enjoyable experience tying everything to a non-android phone.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2013 12:18 pm 

You don't need to use iTunes anymore, everything is in the cloud.

Yes, you are basically tied to a platform by the apps, whether it's Android, iOS, Microsoft, a Blackberry, whatever. Unless app companies start tracking thing cross platform (you buy Angry Birds on Android, and can download it on all the other platforms too), that isn't going to change, and isn't any more true of iOS than anyone else. As for iTunes, there's no DRM on iTunes music.

Now iOS users do tend to spend (a lot) more on apps, so I can see them being less likely to switch for reason. Or it could just be that the hardware and software is more reliable, as with macs and PCs.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2013 1:46 pm 
Hail to the King

Yeah but being tied to Android or Windows is a lot different than being tied to Apple. I have an HTC phone now but I plan to switch to a Samsung (possibly tonight, in fact). If I liked Google's phone more, I could switch to that. The OS isn't holding me to any particular hardware.

You'll never get an iPhone competitor with cool new features to choose from. You're tied to the hardware in addition to the OS.

Also, iTunes is on the cloud...what Android app accesses that? (https://discussions.apple.com/thread/40 ... 0&tstart=0)

Meanwhile, there is an iPhone and Android app for the Amazon Cloud.