The Purge

PvP for People Who Aren't Asshats
It is currently Tue Jan 23, 2018 9:44 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 115 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2013 5:09 pm 

OH man!! you had me at Lotus123.....

"If you want to change the world, be that change."
--Gandhi

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 4:41 pm 
Officer

Something interesting that I thought some of you might be interested in watching...

http://www.mauldineconomics.com/landing/next-bakken-presentation

My Music

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 11:07 am 
Officer

Another "puck"...

I was recently talking with the principal of one of the architectural firms we deal with. We were discussing a project we're working on "in the middle east" (can't really talk about it, under NDA, but it's not really important aynway). It's a very large development, and located in coastal desert area, which means high humidity desert. As it turns out, much of the middle east has this humid desert climate condition.

(AWG) or Atmospheric Water Generators have been around for a long time (think Moisture Farms in Star Wars). The tech has not been particularly widely used because the cost has been too great - they talk about trading oil for water because of the high cost of powering the machines. So ok, long term we know there is a water shortage that could possibly drive the cost of water higher than gas, but we're not there yet, and probably still quite a long way away, so from that angle, it is still not particularly exciting. What has changed however is LEED/Green solutions. In much of the modern middle eastern countries, the value placed on renewable resources and sustainability is huge. The technology is certainly more efficient now than at is inception, but the BIG change is how the machines are being used, and how that relates to green and sustainable solutions.

The by-product of certain AWGs is cold air. Originally, the units were ONLY used to generate water. Now however, they are being integrated into the cooling of interior spaces, and thus killing two birds with one stone. Previously, the engineering focused solely on the production of potable water, but now the impetus is on the combined output of potable water AND cool air. The synergy they are getting apparently makes the use of the tech much more feasible now (no brainer status), and there are a couple of companies out of Germany (of course) that are leading the charge in this.

I did a little research, and found http://www.eawdtechnologies.com. I believe this is the company supplying the product for the project we were discussing - not 100% sure, but very interesting.

Again older (although more efficient) tech, that is being used in a new synergistic way, that makes it economically feasible and no longer just a "good-for-the-environment" product.

disclaimer: I do not profess to be particularly knowledgeable about this, but this particular project's scope is so friggin' large, and there is a mandate from one of the "princes" to use this tech. It makes a lot of sense that the stock of this company leaped upward recently.

My Music

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 11:11 am 

I've been shipping a bunch of solar panels from India to the middle east for a similar sounding project, maybe it's the same thing ;)

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2013 12:47 pm 

Still high on Tesla?

Link

Quote:
In the latest incident, which took place on Wednesday in the US state of Tennessee, a fire broke out in a car after it hit debris on the road.

Tesla said the fire did not start spontaneously but was the result of the accident. The previous two fires have also been related to accidents.

The firm's shares fell more than 7% on Thursday, after a 14% fall on Wednesday triggered by weak earnings.

The company reported that it made a net loss of $38m in the July-to-September period.

On another note, I was driving home the other day and saw a pretty awesome looking car that I hadn't seen before on the road, and when I got close enough to see the badging, it was a Tesla.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2013 1:07 pm 
Officer

I'm actually thinking of buying now that it is off it's euphoric levels. The accidents don't bother me, it's like we are pretending car fires never happen to other manufacturers. They may have to offer free insurance for fires on it to ease fears, though. Simply put, the Tesla is a no brainer purchase decision at the elite luxury level and the sales bear that out. They are beating every manufacturer in that range. And European grwoth is HUGE considering the incentives given over there for zero emission vehicles, and much less range restriction. This is really the perfect car for Euros more than Americans.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2013 2:12 pm 

It had already sold off after earnings (supply issues, not demand - similar to Apple), and then that got worse after this fire. Which as Breand said, is really not a big deal. Tesla's are the safest cars out there. In fact all three drivers who had fires all want a new Tesla.

I bought back (not in a big way) a couple of days ago. I'm down, but I'm fairly confident it will go back up after the weak hands have been shaken out.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2013 4:01 pm 
Hail to the King

Yeah this might be a good time to buy in if you believe in the company. This may be their Netflix moment -- something bad (or boneheaded) happens to a company with a good product, there's a big selloff but 1 year later they're still a good product and the stock buyers forget why they sold and they all come back.

...but I still think they're the Chihuahua in a room full of elephants. If Lexus or Land Rover or BMW or someone like that decides to make an all electric car to compete with them, they will crush them. (Whereas I was big on Netflix when they were down because they WERE the elephant in the room. There was nobody in any position to crush them.)

I feel like my Spidey sense is saying buy now, let it go up 10-20%, then sell and never look back.

There are some rumblings, especially from BMW, as they put their toe into the electric car market but it seems these other companies are avoiding the luxury sedan concept. Lots of other entries are lower end, trying to appeal to the gas savings, I guess, moreso than the "hey, you're rich, you should buy this status symbol" market. But it's just a matter of time and I don't see how Tesla can beat Lexus or BMW at their own game if/when it comes down to a straight competition.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2013 10:21 pm 

http://www.teslamotors.com/blog/model-s-owner-tennessee

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2013 10:50 pm 

Grieve wrote:

Quote:
Had I not been in a Tesla, that object could have punched through the floor and caused me serious harm.

Had it not been a tesla, it wouldn't have caught on fire. :)

I guess it's cool that the car warned him before it engulfed itself in flames... I just can't imagine a normal car catching on fire from running over something in the road like that.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2013 9:12 am 

Regular cars are bombs on wheels. What do you think happens when a metal object punctures the fuel tank and sparks?

There are 150,000 car fires every year in America...

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2013 11:48 am 

Maybe, and there are over 250 million cars on the road. There are how many Tesla S's on the road? Less than 20k? And how many of the 150k car fires were from cars less than 1 year old that cost over 60K?

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2013 1:08 pm 

Strife wrote:
Maybe, and there are over 250 million cars on the road. There are how many Tesla S's on the road? Less than 20k?

150,000 is 0.06% of 250 million
3 is 0.015% of 20,000, or a quarter as much.

Plus I bet all those Tesaas are driven often and driven fast, while millions of regular cars sit ideally doing nothing much of the time. I know someone with 6 registered vehicles, but they only drive two of them of them 99% of the time.

Strife wrote:
And how many of the 150k car fires were from cars less than 1 year old that cost over 60K?

That would only be a valid point if the Telsas had spontaneously caught fire for no reason. In two cases they collided with a huge hunk of metal (a trailer hitch, and in the other they had a high speed crash through a wall and into a tree (because they were going too fast).

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2013 1:22 pm 

Grieve wrote:
Strife wrote:
Maybe, and there are over 250 million cars on the road. There are how many Tesla S's on the road? Less than 20k?

150,000 is 0.06% of 250 million
3 is 0.015% of 20,000, or a quarter as much.

Plus I bet all those Tesaas are driven often and driven fast, while millions of regular cars sit ideally doing nothing much of the time. I know someone with 6 registered vehicles, but they only drive two of them of them 99% of the time.

Strife wrote:
And how many of the 150k car fires were from cars less than 1 year old that cost over 60K?

That would only be a valid point if the Telsas had spontaneously caught fire for no reason. In two cases they collided with a huge hunk of metal (a trailer hitch, and in the other they had a high speed crash through a wall and into a tree (because they were going too fast).

I wish I had two bodies, so I could drive two separate cars at the same time. Because really, isn't that everyone's dream?

HE CAN BOWL, HE CAN DRINK, HE CAN DRINK SOME MORE, ALA-BA-MA-MAN!
When wife asks him where he's been, just use the action button and Alabama Man busts her lip open!
"Shut up, Bitch!"
"Wow!"
BEATS HIS WIFE AND SLEEPS IT OFF, A-LA-BA-MA MAN!

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2013 1:46 pm 

Grieve wrote:
Regular cars are bombs on wheels.

Actually not really, cars don't blow up like they do in the movies.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2013 1:48 pm 

Zouji wrote:
I wish I had two bodies, so I could drive two separate cars at the same time. Because really, isn't that everyone's dream?

Okay okay, I know a COUPLE with the 6 cars who only drive two of them. :lol:

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2013 1:51 pm 

Jakensama wrote:
Grieve wrote:
Regular cars are bombs on wheels.

Actually not really, cars don't blow up like they do in the movies.

Are you saying the movies aren't real??? I refuse to believe to believe that, damn you!!!

Anyway, you can find plenty on YouTube.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2013 2:33 pm 

It can happen but it's pretty rare, the car has to burn for a while and the fuel/air mixture has to be just right. When I worked for Ford's product liability lawyers in college we had to do all the car fires in Texas and like 1 out of several thousand exploded, and that had been burning for some time. 99% of car fires aren't particularly impressive.

My favorite car accidents were the sudden acceleration cases, where some lovely fords just started accelerating on their own.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2013 2:53 pm 

Bah, car fires aren't scary until you get some OSHA training and they show you video's like this:

6:30 on mark it gets interesting. Explosion followed by all the vapors from a leaking tank igniting. Anyone want to live near a railroad?

At the end of this video youtube put up other links... one was an ammonia leak from a farming trunk/tank which kills the police officer. Note: Never drive into any fog from an accident. Even with your vents closed/mouth covered you may not make it out alive.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2013 5:53 pm 

I learned in Days of Thunder that when there is an accident that you retain your speed and drive on the outside lane.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2014 2:32 pm 
Hail to the King

Slamz wrote:
Yeah this might be a good time to buy in if you believe in the company. This may be their Netflix moment -- something bad (or boneheaded) happens to a company with a good product, there's a big selloff but 1 year later they're still a good product and the stock buyers forget why they sold and they all come back.

So I did this, actually -- bought TSLA at $137 on Nov 8th. They're at $181 now so I'm up about 32%.

Now I just have to decide if I want to bet on them for a full year and get the long term investment tax rate or pull out now while the going is good.

I still don't really think they're a good long-term investment, it's just a question of "tomorrow" or "5 years from now".

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2014 9:24 pm 

Nice one! I bought in a bit higher, and already sold a fair bit lower - shouldn't have let the naysayers get to me. I still think it's a great long term investment.

Anyway, glad you were so influenced by my advice... ;)

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2014 11:25 pm 

In Chicago area.and looking for a parking spot. Drive by 6 slots for electric only, and all but one is filled, all 5 plugged in.

"If you want to change the world, be that change."
--Gandhi

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2014 3:55 pm 

Hope you kept your Tesla, Slamz. Over $200 today for the first time.

Facebook and Netflix also at all time highs.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 7:44 pm 

Now $217 after blowout earnings. Nothing sucks more than recommending a stock at $129 and then letting myself stupidly be talked out of sticking with it. :)

In other news...FB buys WhatsApp for $16-19b - wow.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 115 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next