The Purge

PvP for People Who Aren't Asshats
It is currently Mon Jan 22, 2018 7:56 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 115 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 6:09 pm 

Yea saw that FB buy. I think its actually brilliant. Talk about a mobile play. how about taking texting revenue from the mobile giants and making ad dollars.

"If you want to change the world, be that change."
--Gandhi

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2014 3:05 pm 
Hail to the King

Grieve wrote:
Now $217 after blowout earnings. Nothing sucks more than recommending a stock at $129 and then letting myself stupidly be talked out of sticking with it. :)

In other news...FB buys WhatsApp for $16-19b - wow.

$249!
They hit a high of $259 and then reeled in a bit.

Facebook has been climbing pretty good too. I'm still not invested in them though. Still just don't feel that confident about a business that seems so easy to steal. Their new acquisition is interesting though. Never heard of em but I guess conceptually it's a way to bypass text messaging fees. Verizon still charges out the asshole for texting, which is stupid.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2014 3:13 pm 

WhatsApp is pretty huge abroad - it was adopted widely from all the people who used Blackberry Messanger once they moved off blackberries.. I use it to communicate to most of my Euro/Asian colleagues/friends who refuse to get gchat like normal people. Understand its pretty big in Latin America and Mideast too, so probably an expansion tactic. It also allows leaving voice messages, and from what I've seen they might be expanding into a skype like service.

At least I hope so, I can't imagine banking 16 billion on a service with 465 users who pay at most a buck a year being a good strategy otherwise...

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2014 8:21 pm 

Tesla is on fire for sure. Hit $265 today before a slight pullback. Now it's one of those situations where you are scared to jump on because it's risen so much already, only for it to go up another couple hundred bucks before you even know it. :) See also Netflix, Google, Amazon, and Apple in it's heyday. And FB.

I still have some of my FB shares I bought in the IPO at $38...but only about 20. :( I sold the other couple 100 I had much lower.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2014 10:00 pm 

Grieve wrote:
Tesla is on fire for sure.

I see what you did there.

Naval Action: Arsilon - Spain (PVP1), France (PVP2)
EQII: Arsilon - Wizard, Thalena - Fury, Ulrok - Berserker, Valience - Dirge, Ashlyn - Ranger
Elder Scrolls Online: Thalena - Templar, Arsilon - Dragonknight
GW2: Thalena - Elementalist
Rift: Arsilonne - Warrior, Arathon - Mage, Valience - Cleric, Arrienne - Rogue
Aion: Thalena, Arsilon
APB: Arsilon - Enforcer, Thalena - Criminal
EVE: Arsilon
Global Agenda: Thalena
POTBS: [British] Arsilon Gunn, Thalena Biggs, Amazing Mumford
Star Trek Online: Ar'silon - Klingon, Thalena - Federation
WAR: Arsilon, Valience, Thalena
WW2OL: Arsilon

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2014 10:44 pm 

Arsilon wrote:
Grieve wrote:
Tesla is on fire for sure.

I see what you did there.
Nice!

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2014 6:46 pm 

Looks like the "mass market" Tesla will be around $35k, with the same 200 mile range. If that's the case, it will likely be my next car. Should be a hefty Federal rebate on that too.

http://techcrunch.com/2014/03/02/the-mass-market-tesla-e-will-have-a-200-mile-range-be-roughly-20-smaller-than-tesla-s/?ncid=txtlnkusaolp00000591

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 3:10 am 
Hail to the King

I would seriously consider a 200 mile range electric car if I had anywhere to plug it in at and it didn't look totally lame. But since I live in a townhouse with a shared parking lot (no garage) and there's also no charger at the office, it ain't happening for me.

But, stock-wise, I can see where that could make it happen for a lot of other people.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 8:53 am 

There is a supercharger in Bethesda. Probably more locally by the car the car is out. Go there every few days and never pay any fuel costs, not even electricity at home.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 11:16 am 
Officer

Meh, for my money any car without at least a 300 mile range is a waste of space.

"Consensus: The process of abandoning all beliefs, principles, values, and policies in search of something in which no one believes, but to which no one objects; the process of avoiding the very issues that have to be solved, merely because you cannot get agreement on the way ahead." -Margaret Thatcher

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 11:19 am 
Hail to the King

Driving to Bethesda every few days would be more annoying than going out to get gas. Their supercharger concept seems more designed to help with long range road trips than for local convenience (the charger is at a shopping mall, which is a good idea, but I never go there and have no real desire to do that every few days just to recharge my car). In the end, to own a Tesla and have it be convenient, you need a way to charge it at your house.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 2:32 pm 

Zirak wrote:
Meh, for my money any car without at least a 300 mile range is a waste of space.

It's pretty rare we drive further than 200 miles in one trip, and if we do it's a family trip so we're in the minivan (don't judge, we have 4 kids).

I think a supercharger is a pretty good solution if you have one in your local town or where you work. No different to driving to a gas station. Otherwise probably a bit of a pain. But if you have a garage and can easily charge your car at home, I think it beats a gas car. Always a pain when you are running late for an appointment, only to notice you are out of gas and have to make a detour.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 3:11 pm 
Officer

Grieve wrote:
Looks like the "mass market" Tesla will be around $35k, with the same 200 mile range. If that's the case, it will likely be my next car. Should be a hefty Federal rebate on that too.

http://techcrunch.com/2014/03/02/the-mass-market-tesla-e-will-have-a-200-mile-range-be-roughly-20-smaller-than-tesla-s/?ncid=txtlnkusaolp00000591

I just can't believe yet that they will get it down to $35k but if they do it will definitely be my next car. (I'm guessing that is AFTER rebates, maybe) Should hopefully be right around the time my lease is up.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 3:56 pm 

I am curious to see if the E is comparable to a BMW or a toyota. For the price point, it better be the BMW.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 4:28 pm 
Officer

Strife wrote:
I am curious to see if the E is comparable to a BMW or a toyota. For the price point, it better be the BMW.

I would guess (hope even) that they are targeting the "luxury sports sedan" market and will be in direct competition with the BMW 3 series, Mercedes C 300, Lexus IS 250, Volvo S60, etc which are all sub 40k vehicles. With the acceleration battery power can provide it's a no brainer and they said it would be 20% smaller than the Model S, which is typical for the sports sedan market. (The trunk space in my S60 and soon to be 328 is proof of that) People in this segment are more educated and liberal about electric power vehicles and have the homes required to charge them.

If they are instead going for the regular ol' sedan market with the Camry, Accord, Altima, etc...I wish them the best of luck. Tesla has always focused on the sportier segment, so my hope is it will stay that way.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 5:09 pm 

Ya but for 35k and a battery that costs 10k(maybe more). That doesn't leave a lot of room for the niceties of a bmw.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 1:27 pm 
Officer

Strife wrote:
Ya but for 35k and a battery that costs 10k(maybe more). That doesn't leave a lot of room for the niceties of a bmw.

They made it work with the Model S which blows away anything that is offered in that luxury segment so I think they can do it here. I am indeed very worried about the final price, though. But as someone who is about to lease a BMW 328i, the base 35k model comes with NOTHING. Most 328s really go for low 40s.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2014 3:51 pm 
Hail to the King

Incidentally, I noticed walking back to the office from lunch that there are two charging stations in the shopping center next to where I work. It's just a little strip mall. The charging stations appear to be "Blink". Apparently that was some other company that went tits up and got bought in auction by some other company.... At any rate, there was actually a Tesla plugged in there.

Anyone know how that works? I didn't see a keypad or something... wondering how you charge your car and how they get their money.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2014 3:58 pm 

http://www.plugincars.com/ultimate-guid ... 26530.html

Access: Start by registering a credit card with a Blink account. There are no required annual or monthly membership fees, or minimum credit card balance. Members who register will receive an “InCard” and can initiate a charge using the card. Guests can initiate a charge with Blink’s mobile application.

Cost Per Charge: Blink fees are priced on an hourly basis. In its Blink Plus plan requiring a $30 annual fee (waived through 2013), charging is $1 per hour. Blink Basic, not requiring a fee, is charged at $1.50 per hour. Blink Guests pay $2 an hour. All of these rates are for Level 2 240-volt charging. Prices have not been established for DC Quick Charging on the Blink Network.

According to the internet though an hour of charging only gets you about 20 miles of charge.... Cheaper than gas, but doesn't seem too convenient unless you happen to work next to the place...

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2014 4:47 pm 

Jakensama wrote:
According to the internet though an hour of charging only gets you about 20 miles of charge.... Cheaper than gas, but doesn't seem too convenient unless you happen to work next to the place...
Also doesn't seem fiscally sustainable. 2 charges at a max of 24 hours a day charging at $1 to 3 dollars an hour... what's the point. That's a lot of overheard to bring in less than $150 a day, not to mention the price of electricity to charge them and any employee other overhead costs

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2014 5:04 pm 

I agree... Apparently the group that originally owned them has already been bankrupt after pissing away the grant money and private capital given to it.

http://www.plugincars.com/carcharging-g ... 28539.html

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2014 5:13 pm 
Hail to the King

That's a good point about the fees too. I wonder how long one of those machines would have to run to pay for itself, factoring in cost of electricity usage, installation and hardware.... remind me not to invest in any car charging companies.

If we say gas is $3.50/gallon and your vehicle can get 30 mpg then you're paying about 12 cents per mile.

If your Tesla is $1.50/hour of charge and you can get 20 miles per hour of charge then you're paying about 8 cents per mile.

....yeah, these companies are screwed unless the price of gas goes to $10/gallon. They can't really charge more than about $2/hour or you'll be paying more for electric than you were paying for gas.

And how do you make money on a product that can only bring in a gross of $2/hour and has a ton of infrastructure costs not to mention paying for the electricity?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2014 5:23 pm 

Teslas chargers are free too.. I understand it from the standpoint that building that infrastructure gets people to use your cars, but I have to wonder how many cars you would have to sell (and on a continual basis) for that infrastructure to be worth it as a loss leader.

I don't really see how the electric car business model works without large and longterm government subsidies, which I'm sure would go over well.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2014 6:33 pm 

Jakensama wrote:
Teslas chargers are free too.. I understand it from the standpoint that building that infrastructure gets people to use your cars, but I have to wonder how many cars you would have to sell (and on a continual basis) for that infrastructure to be worth it as a loss leader.

I don't really see how the electric car business model works without large and longterm government subsidies, which I'm sure would go over well.

I'd assume the business model works because 99% of the charging will be done at home and they won't need to really build charging stations out on every corner like gas stations. We already know that having someone sit around for a couple hours to refuel isn't a feasible option.

It would make more sense if companies started adding charging stations to their parking garages as a service to their employees though.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2014 11:00 pm 

Right. I think so as well. I view the 200 mile range tesla as a great 2nd car, that would cover most driving. Drive to work, drive home, plug it in, rince repeat. Long cross cohntry trip? Take the other car.

I do think that thereis an interesting long term business model that will evolve if and when the electric car becomes a mass. That isthe concept of plug in electric with the vehical to grid concept. Today the grid is live and realtime. Which is a terrible way to manage a commodity. The grid is idle, while the sun is down and every one is sleeping. Imagine a coupe hundred million batteries out there that can be loaded up at night, and drawn from when your car is sitting idle in the parking lot at work. Ours the real dream of plug in electrics. Today electric power generation has to be sized for peaks because there is no way to store the energy. That could all change.

Hell if its done right, the energy for your car might be almost free.

The other thing to remember about Tesla is that while its getting press, it isn't the only game in town. Every manufacture is on it.the only question is if there is would rare earth material to handle the demand. Current battery tech is still the main issue.

"If you want to change the world, be that change."
--Gandhi

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 115 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next