The Purge

PvP for People Who Aren't Asshats
It is currently Mon Jan 22, 2018 3:51 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2011 11:38 am 

I'm a big believer in forums as you may have noticed from the cRPG ones. I feel they're a great communication tool and information delivery tool.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2011 3:19 pm 

If others need help joining the forums...

Create your account on the forums then apply to join the cRPG member group with this link below:
http://thepurge.net/forum/ucp.php?i=167

* Click radio button next to cRPG: Norse Horde on the right
* Make sure it says "Join Selected" and hit Submit

Joining must be approved by a moderator before you are accepted into the group.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 10:48 am 
Hail to the King

Getting started in cRPG:

First you need "Mount & Blade: Warband". Specifically "Warband" -- don't get "Fire & Sword" or base Mount & Blade as they will not work. Steam has it and periodically puts it on sale.

Next you need to download the mod:
http://c-rpg.net -- bookmark this site because it's also where you will need to go in order to buy equipment and other stuff
(I believe these days it actually gives you an installer and running that should update Warband with the cRPG mod)

Warband actually has an excellent single player strategy/action game but bear in mind that what you learn in there does not necessarily translate 1:1 with what you'll learn in cRPG, since the mod changes a lot of things.

cRPG itself is mostly just an action game: kill people with medieval weapons in a first person-style environment. It's been surprisingly resilient for me (I've put more hours into cRPG than I put into Star Trek Online, Rift or SWTOR... cRPG has a simple yet highly entertaining combat system and the wide variety of maps and builds helps keep it interesting).

There's also a "persistent world" component to it but it's very bare bones -- basically a strategic map overlay as an excuse to play for medieval combat, where your clan can fight for map resources.

My suggestion for anyone wanting to play cRPG is to plan to roll as a one-handed + shield player OR an archer.

Don't be cavalry on your first time in the game because it's too expensive for new players. You could start as two-handed or polearm user but you'll have to learn "manual blocking" and in my opinion it's better to learn the basics of combat with a shield first.

With training, you can be a competent killer fairly quickly. If you are winging it on your own, don't expect a lot of kills in your first, oh, month. The combat system looks very straightforward and simple but there are a lot of little tricks to it.

Last edited by Slamz on Sun Apr 08, 2012 10:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 11:15 am 
Hail to the King

Note for Purge members:

This is a Diggles venture, not directly affiliated with The Purge. "Norse Horde" members are not necessarily Purge members or vice versa. Access to sub-forums is restricted to NH members.