The Purge

PvP for People Who Aren't Asshats
It is currently Sat Jan 20, 2018 6:59 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Deutschland, Deutschland
PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 8:23 pm 
cRPG Warband

So as everyone is most likely aware I am going to Germany. The new part is that I won't be taking my good desktop computer with me because shipping is evil. I will be stuck on my bottom of the line laptop for the duration of my trip which can't run warband with any particular fluency. Doesn't really change much for you guys, it just means that I will be playing even more scantly than I thought and definitely won't be joining any EU clan while I'm there. As I've said before I plan to continue to be active on strat/forums and play when I have the opportunity. I will be leaving this Friday so I will try to play as much as possible before then.

PS - if anyone knows any good low spec games that are good PLEASE let me know

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 9:48 pm 

EU3 / HOI3 are both good low spec games very similar to CK2. EU3 is more about world conquest and colonization etc from 1399-1800s. HOI3 is WW2.

You can get yourself an emu and play console games.
Silent Storm 2 is a decent tactical ww2 game.
You can get off your lazy ass and play Baldurs Gate.
Browse Gog.com for old games.
Knights of the Old Republic is pretty darn good.
That star wars strategy game was pretty cool too.
Titan Quest is a pretty cool diablo style rpg. Greek setting.
I heard google.com also has a good selection

Best game ever is still homework.exe

Last edited by Zanze on Wed Feb 27, 2013 10:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 10:34 pm 
cRPG Warband

Cya in a year. There are girls/beer there so you will not want to play internet horses. Good luck and have fun man!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 12:19 am 
cRPG Warband

enjoy the sausage too

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 12:25 am 
cRPG Warband

Word of advice from somebody who lived there for years. Dont go on a day trip to Russia.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 1:52 am 
cRPG Warband

It's not a year, I should be back at end of summer at latest, probably earlier. I mean come on, getting deported is on my bucket list.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 8:40 pm 
cRPG Warband

in baumholder there are hookers for only 45 euros! save your coupons

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 4:22 pm 
cRPG Warband

do u still want control of your fief? i'd be happy to look after it if not :D

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 5:00 pm 
cRPG Warband

I will still be active on strat and everything, but it's up to BW and Turbo whether they want someone who's actively playing to operate the fief instead. I still have 8,291 ticks left so I'm not that worried.

Edit: Also, my laptop seems like it's coping with warband pretty well, but is the launcher not working well for everyone or just me?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 6:14 pm 
cRPG Warband

Ya just hold onto it man, if you are going to be inactive for a more than a week let someone know.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 11:11 pm 
cRPG Warband

ya launcher is shitty last update not taking well, cancel update and continue to press "play crpg" until it works. congrats on laptop functionality, if u need to squeeze any extra power out of your system i cannot stress enough check the "fast water reflections" box, makes big difference especially if your suffer from low RAM

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 8:12 pm 
cRPG Warband

Yeah so I'm officially in Germany now, everyone is pretty nice. Right now I'm borrowing internet from a generous neighbor but by the end of this week I should have decent internet here and can possibly get about playing some. I will keep you guys updated and please let me know if there's anything I can do strat-wise!

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 9:22 pm 
cRPG Warband

Tormund_Forkbeard wrote:
Yeah so I'm officially in Germany now

rename to doucheland?

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 10:08 pm 
cRPG Warband

Have fun in Germany

Spoiler: show

Home of Bavarian women! And all the beer you can drink (word of advice, Germans don't like public drunkness... except in Bavaria. There its expected)

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 10:49 am 
cRPG Warband

Unfortunately, I'm as far from Bavaria as you can be while still technically being in Germany. The still have excellent beer and the occasional buxom wench here though, so alles gut. Also, in my dirt cheap student housing there is both a cheap bar and a unisex sauna, so I'm not really complaining at all. Today I got my internet info so as soon as I figure that out I can stop borrowing my neighbor's internet and start (hopefully) playing more. I'm really not that busy yet since I don't know that many German people, most of them aren't here yet (winter vacation), and I don't have classes. Anyway, hopefully my connection will be good enough that I can try hopping on NA servers!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 5:01 pm 
cRPG Warband

Can't wait! We miss our All-Time TK champ.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 5:05 pm 

Relit wrote:
(word of advice, Germans don't like public drunkness... except in Bavaria. There its expected)

You've obviously never been to the Reeperbahn :) (Or a kickball match in the East).

(Sorry, normally stick to purge but as a 5 year Germany veteran this caught my eye.)

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 5:41 pm 
cRPG Warband

Jakensama wrote:
Relit wrote:
(word of advice, Germans don't like public drunkness... except in Bavaria. There its expected)

You've obviously never been to the Reeperbahn :) (Or a kickball match in the East).

(Sorry, normally stick to purge but as a 5 year Germany veteran this caught my eye.)

I actually never went Hamburg or to any sporting events while I was stationed there. I was the guy who never left base, except to go to bars or historical sites. Was a lot of fun though. Never have I been to a place where they keep everything so clean and orderly.

(Also its fine to post here, everybody is welcome)

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 5:59 pm 

Hamburgs a great town - lived and worked there for 5 years. It is funny how much of a difference there is between North and South Germany, with most of the things people here consider "German" being "Bavarian."

Also, some educational reading: http://matadornetwork.com/abroad/how-to ... -a-german/

Last edited by Jakensama on Tue Mar 12, 2013 7:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 6:48 pm 

Tormund_Forkbeard wrote:
Anyway, hopefully my connection will be good enough that I can try hopping on NA servers!

Tormund+Long Maul+EU Ping = Endless Joy

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 9:33 am 
cRPG Warband

Jakensama wrote:
Hamburgs a great town - lived and worked there for 5 years. It is funny how much of a difference there is between North and South Germany, with most of the things people here consider "German" being "Bavarian."

Also, some educational reading: http://matadornetwork.com/abroad/how-to ... -a-german/

A lot of the Germans I've interacted with so far speak very good english, but only because they want to become english teachers and they have been studying it since they were two. Your run-of-the-mill german only speaks english half as well as I speak german, which is really bad. This is mostly because all their tv is dubbed in german (badly). You can survive on english, but you won't flourish by any means.

I can confirm, however, that the number one way to confuse the fuck out of germans is to use long english words and idioms. Even something as simple as, "stop and smell the roses!" can confuse them, which is ironic since one of their idioms literally means, "Play the offended liver-sausage".

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 9:40 am 

Tormund_Forkbeard wrote:
]
A lot of the Germans I've interacted with so far speak very good english, but only because they want to become english teachers and they have been studying it since they were two. Your run-of-the-mill german only speaks english half as well as I speak german, which is really bad. This is mostly because all their tv is dubbed in german (badly). You can survive on english, but you won't flourish by any means.

There is a reason that the Swedes and the Dutch have such great English and Germans run the gamut and yeah, it is because they have atrocious dubbing on all TV and Movies.

Getting by in English depends on where you are. Big cities it is very doable (especially Berlin). I was pretty lazy about learning German my first year there because I thought it was an internship and had no clue I would be there for 5 years and managed to get around fine (the only problem I had was the auslaenderbehoerde - apparently the only Germans who can speak NO English work at the fucking immigration office).

My motivation probably wasn't helped by my series of mishaps when learning, most prevelant was when I tried to say the word for appetizer when ordering "vorspeise" but accidentally said the word for foreplay "vorspiel."

Hell I didn't start being really good at German until I started dating a German girl who had gone to USC and spoke English with a valley girl accent. When your choice is to listen to a USC American accent or learn German, the choice is simple.

Also fun is when you speak something but mispronounce it and they refuse to even think about what you might be saying. I was drunk at Oktoberfest my first time in Bavaria (where they don't even speak German) and wanted a pretzel from a pretzel stand that only sold pretzel.

Went up to the old horrible german woman:

"Ein Bretzel bitte" (mispronouncing bretzel)
"Ein was??"
"Ein Bretzel"
"Was??"
"Ich habe 'Ein Bretzel' gesagt."
"ooooh, sie meinen Ein Bretzel" (saying it correctly in her horrible southern german accent)
"No, actually I wanted a fucking shrimp cocktail."

Also, best translation site for any slang is here - http://dict.leo.org/?lang=en&lp=ende&search

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 7:50 am 
cRPG Warband

Just an update for everyone since I can't really play! Since the internet here is terrible, I am limited to checking the forums when I get a chance. Nevertheless, I'll be back before you know it (it's already been a month) and I'll have the remarkably useful skill of being able to speak german! IT looks like all our holdings haven't gone up in flames yet, and I really like the new shields, so I look forward to coming back once I'm done here.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 8:24 pm 
cRPG Warband

Tormund: Whenever you see this: Head to Narra, drop all your extra troops into Narra. We need manpower.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 9:12 pm 
cRPG Warband

+ most gold in Uhhun