The Purge

PvP for People Who Aren't Asshats
It is currently Fri Jan 19, 2018 5:19 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 2:25 pm 

I'm thinking of ditching my gmail account entirely due to google constantly linking everything I'm doing. My major gripe is my youtube account uses an email address from way before gmail even existed, and it's got stuff on there I want to keep - right the frick where it is. Whenever I get on my youtube account it kicks me out of my gmail account, and then vice versa. It's driving me crazy, and apparently the only fix is to use one of the accounts in a different browser. It won't let me change my email address on the youtube account to my gmail address, and I can't unlink youtube from the google account that somehow got permanently attached to it. So my options are to download a new browser and have two up all the time, put up with the constant switching back and forth, or get rid of one of my accounts altogether.

I think the overt function is to easily connect your various online services, but in practice it is extremely intrusive and controlling.

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 3:39 pm 

a) why arent you using your main gmail account for youtube anyways?
b) why dont you just associate that email addy with your gmail account?

I have 2 different gmail accounts and I can have 1 signed into gmail/docs and other for youtube, no problem.

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 4:06 pm 

Diggles wrote:
a) why arent you using your main gmail account for youtube anyways?
b) why dont you just associate that email addy with your gmail account?

I have 2 different gmail accounts and I can have 1 signed into gmail/docs and other for youtube, no problem.

a) because I had my youtube account before I got gmail. My videos are on that account. And I started my gmail account before the started they started linking youtube to google accounts, so I have two seperate.
b) It won't let me change the youtube email to my gmail address. I have my youtube email as a secondary for my gmail google account, but it's not providing any functional benefit.

I'm not sure how you're able to keep two open at once, because that's exactly what I want to do and can't.

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 4:14 pm 

http://support.google.com/youtube/bin/a ... wer=183819

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 5:05 pm 

And for G-mail you can be logged into more than one account at a time by clicking on your Account name at top right and clicking the "Add Account" button.

Not sure if what that will do w.r.t. youtube but you can have more than one Gmail account open.

Naval Action: Arsilon - Spain (PVP1), France (PVP2)
EQII: Arsilon - Wizard, Thalena - Fury, Ulrok - Berserker, Valience - Dirge, Ashlyn - Ranger
Elder Scrolls Online: Thalena - Templar, Arsilon - Dragonknight
GW2: Thalena - Elementalist
Rift: Arsilonne - Warrior, Arathon - Mage, Valience - Cleric, Arrienne - Rogue
Aion: Thalena, Arsilon
APB: Arsilon - Enforcer, Thalena - Criminal
EVE: Arsilon
Global Agenda: Thalena
POTBS: [British] Arsilon Gunn, Thalena Biggs, Amazing Mumford
Star Trek Online: Ar'silon - Klingon, Thalena - Federation
WAR: Arsilon, Valience, Thalena
WW2OL: Arsilon

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 5:31 pm 

On that link apparently this applies to me:

"Unfortunately, YouTube channels created after May 2009 cannot be removed from a Google Account."

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 5:37 pm 

Arsilon wrote:
And for G-mail you can be logged into more than one account at a time by clicking on your Account name at top right and clicking the "Add Account" button.

Not sure if what that will do w.r.t. youtube but you can have more than one Gmail account open.
Can't get that to work. I have added, but it still switches when I go from one to another.

This dude is having the same problem:

http://productforums.google.com/forum/# ... I24gbOFOqs

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 6:10 pm 

heh could always use the option to download all of your videos and reupload them to different account, but you lose stats/views

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 7:53 pm 

Ok. It's my day off and I'm pretty drunk already, but it seems to have worked. After doing the "Add Account" multiple times it eventually stuck. Not sure why once didn't do the trick. Even twice, actually. But now if I refresh youtube it stays where I want it to, and the same for gmail.