The Purge

PvP for People Who Aren't Asshats
It is currently Mon Jan 22, 2018 4:10 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Just upgraded to an SSD
PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2014 9:09 am 

I got the blue screen of death a couple times within a week and decided to back up all important files to a thumb drive and reformat my HDD and see if that fixed my pc. Got it up and running and it crashed again while running windows updates (tried again a couple times with same results). There were a few possible issues but my ram was newish (got 16 gigs about 2 years ago) and I figured if it was the processor or MB having issues it was time for a new PC anyways but I'd try a new hard drive first because I figured that was the problem.

Picked up a 250 GB SSD from bestbuy for $135 and got my PC up and running again. I'm not really playing any intensive games right now where I'd notice much of a difference on load times but there is a noticable increase in loading my OS and I'd say I'm happy with my purchase.

I don't expect to get another 10 years out of this rig but extending its life $100-200 every couple years has been relatively inexpensive and kept me happy. I had been pricing out pcs on Magic Micro and NewEgg and was looking at $1200-$1800 depending on how future ready I wanted so keeping this PC going for $135 made my day.

Mistahapie - 70 <Defiant> Troll War Mannoroth
Airyth - <Defiant> 70 Troll Mage Mannoroth
Iriani <Innoruuk's Legion> 52 DE Enc - Ebay
Mistahapie Bedwetter <Defiant> 70 TR War - VZ
Airyth <Defiant> 70 DE Enc - VZ
Crinekx <Defiant> 70 Frg Wiz - VZ

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2014 10:43 am 

Grats! I would suggest having a secondary drive to store all your music and other stuff that you don't need on the Ssd. I personally have 3 drives. A primary SSD which just has OS and games, a secondary SSD for just games a couple other programs and a larger spinning drive for all the other stuff.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2014 10:52 am 
Officer

I have 2 SSDs, one I purchased awhile back that is only 140gb and has my OS and some games. Bought a 260GB SSD recently, use that exclusively for games. Then I have 2 500GB traditional drives for storage, music, pics etc. So 4 drives total in my rig.

Then I have a disconnected 1TB HDD with storage to back everything up. And I have a contract with crashplan.com and do full backup to a cloud. I lost a years worth of pics and vids due to a crash and am super cautious now.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2014 11:20 am 

That's the eventual plan, I have a spinning 100gb drive for other files that still works for storage, it was my 500gb HDD that died on me. My wife and I also have a 1TB external drive for long term storage (which we should really keep current in regards to files we want backed up) My PC is so old I'm still running Vista Ultimate 64 bit edition and has an Intel 2.9 GHz dual core processor. The upgrades have been 16 GB of DDR3 1066 dual channel ram and an MSI GE Force 460 Cyclone graphics card with 1gb memory.

Once I have the time and desire to get into any games that require more computing power I'll be forced to upgrade. I think the only things worth holding onto at this point are the new 250 GB SSD and the 1000 watt toughpower power supply.

Mistahapie - 70 <Defiant> Troll War Mannoroth
Airyth - <Defiant> 70 Troll Mage Mannoroth
Iriani <Innoruuk's Legion> 52 DE Enc - Ebay
Mistahapie Bedwetter <Defiant> 70 TR War - VZ
Airyth <Defiant> 70 DE Enc - VZ
Crinekx <Defiant> 70 Frg Wiz - VZ

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2014 3:14 pm 

Just FYI Flashdrives are not for backup purposes. Sure the likelihood of anything happening is low, but they are not anywhere near as reliable as DVD's, cloud or External HD. I would NEVER keep my only backups on a flashdrive. I've had a client or two who have done this and regretted it.

Welcome to the world of SSD's

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2014 5:07 pm 
Officer

Diggles wrote:
Just FYI Flashdrives are not for backup purposes. Sure the likelihood of anything happening is low, but they are not anywhere near as reliable as DVD's, cloud or External HD. I would NEVER keep my only backups on a flashdrive. I've had a client or two who have done this and regretted it.

Welcome to the world of SSD's

I'd like to know your data on this other than a "client or two." The bottom line is it is an extremely poor financial decision to use SSD as a backup and I would never do it nor recommend it, but there have been pretty exhaustive investigations, Tom's Hardware was one but a bit dated, and reliability is considered a tad better on SSDs than HDDs and steadily getting better with SSDs as the tech improves and firmware is debugged. With virtually no spinning parts that HDDs require there is a lot less that can go wrong on an SSD, however when SSDs fail, they generally fail badly and are unrecoverable. HDDs have the chance of pulling the data off the platters if you are desperate. But HDD have had a 60 year head start on SSDs but are already losing the reliability battle.

One expert is claiming an SSD failure rate of 1.5% to 5% for HDDs: http://www.computerworld.com/s/article/ ... geNumber=1

Having said all that I would take an SSD any day of the week over a DVD if price were no option for storage. DVD is a HORRIBLE long term storage medium and very susceptible to environmental factors. Not to mention a dead tech. I haven't had a DVD drive in my home PC in years.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2014 7:27 pm 

SSD != flash drive. How are you even mistaking the two?

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2014 7:47 pm 

Diggles wrote:

Probably because you go onto a thread about SSD's where nobody has mentioned flash drives, and start talking about backup up to flash drives. He probably thought YOU were confused.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2014 8:08 pm 

Quote:
I got the blue screen of death a couple times within a week and decided to back up all important files to a thumb drive

Thumb drive = flash drive. Yes SSD uses flash memory, but not the same thing at all and not what I was referring to.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2014 11:26 am 
Officer

Diggles wrote:

Using programming logic...well that statement would fail a cold hard logic test since an SSD is a flash drive.

You are creating an argument because you didn't add an additional identifier by saying "USB" flash drive or "thumb" flash drive which is just an additional language component and very little to do with the tech. You called something a hamburger when there is a slice of cheese on it. I was following the direction of the thread, you jumped in and only responded to the first post when we had all moved on. That's why quotes are helpful. I'm an electrical engineer who works in an IT environment, and we use "flash drives" interchangeably. No one has ever said, "install this SSD in that server." Just like we have never said "install this HDD in that server" for the 13 years I've been here. No one says that. We mainly call it a flash drive to distinguish it between an HDD or simply a drive. We call USB flash drives "thumb drives" or a "USB stick." Maybe it's different in your part of the country.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2014 1:51 pm 
Hail to the King

Actually, that's an interesting question -- what IS the difference between a thumb drive and an SSD?

5 minutes of internet searching seems to suggest that there is no difference. They are both drives that store data on flash memory chips.

(Well, I mean other than SATA vs USB.)

Probably the only thing that makes thumb drives riskier than SSDs is because thumb drives are mostly older technology and mostly not tested to the same level of quality or having the same quality of software that controls them. Throwing something on a thumb drive may simply be like throwing them on the lowest quality, no-name-brand, made-in-a-Chinese-sweatshop SSD. Okay for short term, unimportant tasks but not something you'd want to run your operating system off of on a regular basis purely because the quality is unreliable.

(Although I have heard of people doing that, too. Carry around their operating system on a thumb drive. Lets them boot up into their environment with their stuff on anyone's computer.)

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2014 2:57 pm 

Slamz wrote:
5 minutes of internet searching seems to suggest that there is no difference. They are both drives that store data on flash memory chips.

This is what I would conclude as well.

WoW - Rallick/Mootendo - The Purge
EQ - Nintelten <Defiant>

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2014 9:22 pm 

Breand wrote:
Diggles wrote:

Using programming logic...well that statement would fail a cold hard logic test since an SSD is a flash drive.

You are creating an argument because you didn't add an additional identifier by saying "USB" flash drive or "thumb" flash drive which is just an additional language component and very little to do with the tech. You called something a hamburger when there is a slice of cheese on it. I was following the direction of the thread, you jumped in and only responded to the first post when we had all moved on. That's why quotes are helpful. I'm an electrical engineer who works in an IT environment, and we use "flash drives" interchangeably. No one has ever said, "install this SSD in that server." Just like we have never said "install this HDD in that server" for the 13 years I've been here. No one says that. We mainly call it a flash drive to distinguish it between an HDD or simply a drive. We call USB flash drives "thumb drives" or a "USB stick." Maybe it's different in your part of the country.

Well you are in a giant minority, because I've never heard of SSD's being refered to as 'flash drives'. Do a google search for flash drive and see what comes up.

As Slamz mentioned, Flash drives are made by any and everyone and a good number of them are complete dogshit. I've had ones less than a month old (from purchase date) fall apart in my hands before. There is a reason why most retail companies give away flash drives, so many are made and cant be sold they literally have to give them away to get them out of inventory. I dunno about you, but anything thats being given away to make room I probably wouldnt trust my ONLY backup on for sure.

However doing your research and buying from a quality brand (I buy Patriot ones, w/rubber coatings so it doesnt get squashed/dropped) certain evens the odds some. DVD's are no different. You buy shit like Memorex, Dynex or housebrand you are gambling with your backup. The difference between flash drive & optical is that I can still get some data off a damaged disc, cant say the same for a damaged flash drive. I dunno where you live or work, but environmental conditions arent a factor in a fireproof safe kept indoors or a safety deposit box. I tested backups from 10 years ago that still work just dandy. Plus, for me and my clients at least, harder to misplace or lose a disc (or set of discs) than it is a small little 2 inch stick.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2014 9:46 pm 

Obviously the masses see flash drives/thumb drives as USB storage and don't relate them to being an SSD, even though they are in fact, an SSD. Ram is the same way. All just have different connections to the MB.