The Purge

PvP for People Who Aren't Asshats
It is currently Fri Jan 19, 2018 5:22 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2014 6:12 pm 

Lately I have been having a couple issues with my computer that I can't figure out the issue.

My first issue when running internet explorer it will randomly freeze for a few seconds especially when trying to write e-mail (or at least that's when I notice it the most). I use gmail. So basically I will be typing and it will freeze up and I will continue typing but nothing happens and then it will catch up but it's not like lag because it won't actually catch back up. I have started using chrome and that issue is gone.

The bigger issue I am having will constantly when running any number of different programs (excel or adope .pdf reader stuff, or e-mail or just browsing the internet on either browser) is hard to explain. So if I am in excel working on a spreadsheet my icon will disappear as if I clicked on a different window so it basically makes the page I am working on inactive. Or when browsing the internet I can use my down arrow or wheel on mouse to scroll down but then it will stop and I will have to click on the webpage for it to start working again. My best explanation is that it is as if I am clicking and making another window active, but my mouse will be on the window I am working on.

I am running windows 7 Home premium and I have 14 gb or ram and my operating system is on SSD.

Any help is appreciated. I have had this computer for a while but other than transferring my OS to the SSD I have never reformatted..

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2014 7:59 pm 

Do you have any macros enabled on your keyboard/mouse? Seems like maybe you're shooting off a macro and it's causing the issues(specifically with your program losing focus).

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2014 10:00 pm 

I don't even have the macro portion of my keyboard turned on so I don't see how that could be the case. I haven't used macros in forever. Also my mouse doesn't move when it happens.. I have considered switching keyboards so I may go ahead and do that but I have a hard time believing that is what is happening..

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2014 3:51 am 

Step 1: stop using IE
Step 2: Make note of exactly when one of these happens. Later check your System log to see if there is some sort of low layer underlying problem. I had something similar and it turned out to be my cd-rom going out and would freeze up the computer for a 1/2 second randomly out of the blue a few.

Right click computer > manage > Event viewer > windows logs > system, look for the yellow or red problems.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2014 11:34 am 

I have pretty much stopped using IE but for some things it's still the best option specifically viewing multiple pdf files (stuff I do for work a lot)

I will check up on the logs for sure. Thanks!

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2014 12:33 pm 

I checked all my logs and there are quite a few yellow warnings over the last few days but the source is always "DNS Client Events" and it is telling me "Name resolution for the name ______________ timed out after none of the configured DNS servers responded" and it's always a different name.

I do have some red Error warnings but they are a few days ago and the source is Schannel and it's saying "The following fatal alert was generated: 40. The internal error state is 252" (so of course I have no idea what that means..)

While I was looking at this log my free AVG detected a trojan and removed it *shrug*

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2014 1:32 pm 

probably wouldn't be a bad idea to run spy bot search and destroy and Malware bytes

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2014 2:28 pm 

Yellow dns or network name warnings arent a big deal, have no clue at all what you said about the red, but just google it.

spybot is terrible and has been for nearly ever.
Run Malware bytes. Also Avast is much better than AVG. I have to help at least half the people running AVG but still got infected. I think thats happened all of once with Avast.

2013 Consumer Reports: Avast & Avira tied for best free security program. AVG is a very distant 3rd

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 6:43 pm 

Diggles wrote:
Yellow dns or network name warnings arent a big deal, have no clue at all what you said about the red, but just google it.

spybot is terrible and has been for nearly ever.
Run Malware bytes. Also Avast is much better than AVG. I have to help at least half the people running AVG but still got infected. I think thats happened all of once with Avast.

2013 Consumer Reports: Avast & Avira tied for best free security program. AVG is a very distant 3rd

Yeah I always felt like AVG was crap but it was free and seemed popular :) I'll try Avast. Thanks!