The Purge

PvP for People Who Aren't Asshats
It is currently Mon Jan 22, 2018 3:56 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Router Issue
PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2015 9:03 am 

I have a DLink DIR655 router.

Basically every day, sometimes twice a day, my internet will stop working and I have to pull the power and plug it back in and it will start working again. When I say internet, I mean my wireless and my ability to connect to webpages.

The odd thing is, when I'm on blue stacks playing Clash of clans on my computer, it still allows me to connect; so it's like the internet is still working, it just removes my ability to use an internet browser and wireless.

It doesn't make sense, but thought I'd run it by ya'll to see if anyone has any idea where to start with this.

Post subject: Re: Router Issue
PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2015 11:14 am 
Hail to the King

Maybe it's losing DNS. You could try pinging an address, like thepurge.net and then try pinging the IP address of 50.87.145.228. If the second one works and the first one doesn't, it's DNS. That could explain why some app keeps working while browsing doesn't.

Not that I could suggest how to fix that. I find I just go through routers every few years because they develop quirks (or just stop working entirely) and replacing them just seems to be the way to go.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2015 12:58 pm 

When you say wireless stops, do you see the disconnect msg in windows system tray?

What is happening to modem at this time though?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2015 5:08 pm 
Officer

dunno about D-Link, but certain Linksys routers had problems where they would eventually stop working due to an internal table filling up, typically due to peer-to-peer traffic. running third-party firmware (Tomato in my case, but there are other more popular options) fixed it.

one thing's for sure -- if there are firmware updates available for your router, you should install them unless you have a *very* good reason not to (e.g. the new version is broken in some way).

nowadays I use a dedicated PC with a 4-port NIC as a router (I use OpenBSD but for most people pfSense would probably be better), and I use consumer routers only as wireless access points (i.e. I disable the DHCP server and leave the WAN port empty). among other benefits, this lets me place my router near where my cable and DSL modems are (in the basement), while my wireless access point is located in a more central part of the house. actually I have 2 access points, one G and one N.

the dedicated router is industrial-strength enough to never have problems, and because the 'consumer' hardware does nothing more complicated than bridging packets between the wired and wireless network, they don't usually have any problems either.

I do not expect this to be a good solution for most people.

-ken

PS2: Snowreap
GW2: Snowreap, Yellowtail, Preyz, Taralin, Taralynne
RIFT: Snowreap, Yellowtail, Preyz, Taralin, Snowy
PotBS (British): Taralin Snow, Taralynne Snow, Snowy Iggles, Edward Snow
PotBS (Pirate): Taralin Snowden, Taralynne Snowden, Redshirt Snowden
WW2O: Snowreap
WAR: Snowreap, Preyz, Lbz, Leadz, Snowz, Taralin, Snowmeltz, Yellowtail, Snowbankz
APB: Snowreap, Sentenza
STO: Snowreap@Snowreap, Snowz@Snowreap
AoC: Yellowtail, Snowreap, Snowstorm, Redshirt
WoW (Horde): Snowreap, Savagery, Baelzenun, Wickedwendy, Taralin, Disruption, Scrouge, Bette
WoW (Alliance): Yellowtail, Wickedwendy, Snowreap
AC1: Snowstorm, Yellowtail, Shirt Ninja, Redshirt

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2015 8:07 pm 

Diggles wrote:
When you say wireless stops, do you see the disconnect msg in windows system tray?

What is happening to modem at this time though?

All of the lights look normal... I looked it a couple days ago and it's working right now, so next time it happens I'll look more in depth. But all of my lights were blue and some flashing, just like they are right now if I remember correctly. Usually when my wireless goes out, that light turns orange. It's broadcasting the signal, but the signal aint got no juice.

I don't get a disconnect message, the wireless just stays on but won't connect to the internet.

I tried different browsers just to rule it out, cause it seriously seems like a firewall issue blocking my internet...

Slamz wrote:
Maybe it's losing DNS. You could try pinging an address, like thepurge.net and then try pinging the IP address of 50.87.145.228. If the second one works and the first one doesn't, it's DNS. That could explain why some app keeps working while browsing doesn't.

Not that I could suggest how to fix that. I find I just go through routers every few years because they develop quirks (or just stop working entirely) and replacing them just seems to be the way to go.

It has been in a box for probably... 3 or 4 years.

I'll try updating the firmware Snow, I don't know why I haven't already tried that... I was pissed off this morning as I was walking out the door and just came here to bitch, so...

Thanks all for the time ;)

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2015 9:10 pm 

If you figure it out, post. I have this issue from time to time as well and have never been able to figure it out.

Naval Action: Arsilon - Spain (PVP1), France (PVP2)
EQII: Arsilon - Wizard, Thalena - Fury, Ulrok - Berserker, Valience - Dirge, Ashlyn - Ranger
Elder Scrolls Online: Thalena - Templar, Arsilon - Dragonknight
GW2: Thalena - Elementalist
Rift: Arsilonne - Warrior, Arathon - Mage, Valience - Cleric, Arrienne - Rogue
Aion: Thalena, Arsilon
APB: Arsilon - Enforcer, Thalena - Criminal
EVE: Arsilon
Global Agenda: Thalena
POTBS: [British] Arsilon Gunn, Thalena Biggs, Amazing Mumford
Star Trek Online: Ar'silon - Klingon, Thalena - Federation
WAR: Arsilon, Valience, Thalena
WW2OL: Arsilon

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2015 4:15 pm 

My DLink router was doing that as well. I would be fine then all of a sudden stops. Router and everything shows fine but totally unable to browse anywhere on the internet. This would happen randomly. Sometimes every half hour or less and other times it would be fine all day. Get up in the morning and it wouldn't be working.

I just ended up replacing my router with a new ASUS one and haven't had any issues since.

WoW - Rallick/Mootendo - The Purge
EQ - Nintelten <Defiant>

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2015 4:48 pm 
Officer

Interesting thread - my previous router was also a DLink. It started randomly dropping wireless connections for no reason that I could figure out. I too simply went the route of tossing it and buying a new Linksys router that I have been very pleased with.

"Consensus: The process of abandoning all beliefs, principles, values, and policies in search of something in which no one believes, but to which no one objects; the process of avoiding the very issues that have to be solved, merely because you cannot get agreement on the way ahead." -Margaret Thatcher

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2015 5:55 pm 

I should have said my router was a Linksys. I replaced it with another Linksys not too long ago and its much better. It still happens but a lot less frequently than it used to.

The new one is a dual network router -- both a 2.4GHz and a 5.0GHz network active. The 5.0GHz network is much more reliable on than the 2.4GHz...I get much more lapses in connectivity with the 2.4GHz. I would have thought it would be the other way around.

I think some of it may have been to do with my DLink network card. It was acting really odd and finally just gave out entirely. I'm running on a simple Linksys USB wireless adapter now.

Naval Action: Arsilon - Spain (PVP1), France (PVP2)
EQII: Arsilon - Wizard, Thalena - Fury, Ulrok - Berserker, Valience - Dirge, Ashlyn - Ranger
Elder Scrolls Online: Thalena - Templar, Arsilon - Dragonknight
GW2: Thalena - Elementalist
Rift: Arsilonne - Warrior, Arathon - Mage, Valience - Cleric, Arrienne - Rogue
Aion: Thalena, Arsilon
APB: Arsilon - Enforcer, Thalena - Criminal
EVE: Arsilon
Global Agenda: Thalena
POTBS: [British] Arsilon Gunn, Thalena Biggs, Amazing Mumford
Star Trek Online: Ar'silon - Klingon, Thalena - Federation
WAR: Arsilon, Valience, Thalena
WW2OL: Arsilon

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2015 8:48 pm 

Updated the firmware to no avail. The lights all look fine.

The weird thing is, if I'm streaming video or playing games, my connection is fine as long as the connection started before the internet went down.

Anything I open after it went down will not connect.

Guess I'll be replacing it. Not sure what else to do.