The Purge

Full Version: Camelot unchained
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi everyone! Just wondering who is going to go play Camelot Unchained. Lendryn and I are and we're wondering if we'll have our guild there Smile

Beta starts July 4th!
I will have to check it out!
I dunno if I'll play for beta at all. I assume beta will still be very very rough.

Warhammer beta, GW2 beta, etc, were basically completed games and it was a stress test / early showing more than anything else. I believe Camelot Unchained will be more like an Early Access game 1 year prior to release with half the stuff broken.

I did back it in Kickstarter so I have an account but other than signing in to see what's going on I doubt I'll put any real time into it until release or at least much further along than it will be for July.
I have no idea if I will or not. I need to look into it more
Conceptually it might be "the perfect Purge game":

* MMO
* 3-team realm vs realm game
* Huge maps
* Shifting maps
* Player-made structures with more granularity than Conan or Minecraft
* Destruction via sieges
* No instancing of anything
* PvP focus from top to bottom
* PvE is for resources, not leveling

Combat is WOW style. They have some interesting ideas about spell interaction, i.e. shooting a bolt through a flamewall gives you a flame bolt, but fundamentally it's WOW style combat, probably a little slower paced. Holy trinity.

Things I am dubious about:
* Graphics style and quality. Oh hello 1996, I didn't expect to see you again.
* RvR pacing. Sounds like he's leaning towards "popcorn" sieging, more in line with GW2 pacing. There are good arguments for this but long term I worry it will suffer from Planetside syndrome: by being too fast paced, it means nothing you do today matters tomorrow. There ends up being no long term plan that looks ahead more than about 2 hours. Your character is persistent and you can have long term personal goals but I dunno if there's going to be stuff like Conan Exiles or LIF where we have persistent world goals that we work on for weeks at a time.

And I just worry they may lack the technical oomph to pull it all off. Might be Shadowbane revisited: great ideas, poorly executed.

But it does hit the spot on a lot of fundamental ideas that I think will be fun if they can deliver. The other stuff we'll just have to see.
i think the pace will be slow, because there is open world building, they have voxel cube building stuff
We think the beta might be rough as well. We're excited about the concept of building, holding your own castles/buildings and pvp though. Sounds like a blast.
Beta 1 starts tomorrow!
Of those that are going to play, what realm are you going to choose?