The Purge

Full Version: Army Field Manual 21-76 (Survival, Evasion, amd Recovery)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Does anyone know the location of a released (PDF format) "Army Field for Survival, Evasion, and Recovery" (Army Field Manual 21-76)?

I have the one from 1999. Is that the latest "public release" version?
Dustie Wrote:Does anyone know the location of a released (PDF format) "Army Field for Survival, Evasion, and Recovery" (Army Field Manual 21-76)?

June 1999 is the latest version.
Check out the Survival forums on AR-15.com. There is alot of good info there.

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.ar15.com/forums/forum.html?b=10&f=17">http://www.ar15.com/forums/forum.html?b=10&f=17</a><!-- m -->
Thudz Wrote:
Dustie Wrote:Does anyone know the location of a released (PDF format) "Army Field for Survival, Evasion, and Recovery" (Army Field Manual 21-76)?

June 1999 is the latest version.

Oh. Well that would explain why googling it always leads you to 1999 versions. =)
CB Radios, Field Survival Guides....

You are really starting to worry me Dustie. Next thing you'll be wanting to know is the the shelf life of Twinkies and Ho Hos. Confusedhock:
Thudz, one more thing. What's the shelf life of a ho-ho?
Moristans Wrote:CB Radios, Field Survival Guides....

You are really starting to worry me Dustie. Next thing you'll be wanting to know is the the shelf life of Twinkies and Ho Hos. :shock:

Truth be told, I think we have averted the economic collapse that appeared imminent last fall. My "survival" kit compilation process is almost done though so I thought I'd finish it off. That way, I'm ready for the next near disaster.
Moristans Wrote:shelf life of Twinkies

25 days.
grizzle Wrote:
Moristans Wrote:shelf life of Twinkies

25 days.

lol
Dustie Wrote:Thudz, one more thing. What's the shelf life of a ho-ho?

About 2 minutes in my house. I have three kids.
Dustie Wrote:

You are really starting to worry me Dustie. Next thing you'll be wanting to know is the the shelf life of Twinkies and Ho Hos. Confusedhock:

Truth be told, I think we have averted the economic collapse that appeared imminent last fall. My "survival" kit compilation process is almost done though so I thought I'd finish it off. That way, I'm ready for the next near disaster.

You should always be prepared for disaster both man made and natural. If you don't prepare you'll just end up trying to take what I've prepared and I have a lot of guns.
Thudz Wrote:
Dustie Wrote:

You are really starting to worry me Dustie. Next thing you'll be wanting to know is the the shelf life of Twinkies and Ho Hos. :shock:

You should always be prepared for disaster both man made and natural. If you don't prepare you'll just end up trying to take what I've prepared and I have a lot of guns.

Agreed. The gun is a critical part and I'm working on the Mrs.
Dustie Wrote:
Thudz Wrote:
Dustie Wrote:

Agreed. The gun is a critical part and I'm working on the Mrs.

You need to get her involved. My wife is a gun range addict. She loves shooting. You could also play the sportsman angle. Say you want to get your hunting license or you want to shoot clays.
Thudz Wrote:You need to get her involved. My wife is a gun range addict. She loves shooting. You could also play the sportsman angle. Say you want to get your hunting license or you want to shoot clays.

I went shooting clays the other day. I think she might actually like it (but as you know, she can't handle a 12 gage between her 90 lb frame, heart issues, etc). I'm thinking of starting her off with a 410.
don't forget to stock up on Dinty Moore beef stew, and other canned Hormel products.

http://www.hormelfoods.com/faqs.aspx#can4

-ken
Snowreap Wrote:don't forget to stock up on Dinty Moore beef stew, and other canned Hormel products.

-ken

Excellent find Snow. I've been looking for that type of info.
Dustie Wrote:
Snowreap Wrote:don't forget to stock up on Dinty Moore beef stew, and other canned Hormel products.

-ken

Excellent find Snow. I've been looking for that type of info.

If you are really serious you need to get a garden up and can your own fruits and veggies.
by the way, how can you tell what version you have? my copy of FM 21-76 (titled simply US ARMY SURVIVAL MANUAL) has copyright notices of 1994 and 1991.

-ken
Thudz Wrote:
Dustie Wrote:

You only have two hands and water is heavy. So share sucka.
So what's in your survival kit? I'd actually like to put one of those together myself. I'm thinking camoflauge tent, sleeping bags, water canteens and water purifying tablets, survival guide, warm waterproof clothes, ponchos, matches and magnifying glass to start campfires, combat knife, compass, first aid supplies, fishing line and hooks, candles, walkie talkies...what else?

I am at a dead end in persuading my wife to let me get a gun. Best option might be to be bury one in a chest in the West Virginia wilderness, so I can race to it at need...
Grieve Wrote:So what's in your survival kit? I'd actually like to put one of those together myself. I'm thinking camoflauge tent, sleeping bags, water canteens and water purifying tablets, survival guide, warm waterproof clothes, ponchos, matches and magnifying glass to start campfires, combat knife, compass, first aid supplies, fishing line and hooks, candles, walkie talkies...what else?

Just a few more tips.

Water Purifying Tablets can expire, use bleach instead.
Make "stink bait" if you have access to fishing. That kind of bait can last 100 years.
Use soft cell batteries (you can freeze them with out cracking) for long term storage.
The "can opener" will be the single most important tool you can own.
Freeze dry spices and seed.
Large amounts of Salt.
Buy your firearm and bury it in the garage so your wife can't find it. She will forgive you if you ever need it.
I've got one of these started but I should round it out. The survival class I took in college was one of the most informative of my career. It was taught by the military.
I'll post what's in my BOB (Bug Out Bag) when I get home tonight.
Snowreap Wrote:by the way, how can you tell what version you have? my copy of FM 21-76 (titled simply US ARMY SURVIVAL MANUAL) has copyright notices of 1994 and 1991.

-ken

The one I have says 1999 on the front page. It's the one you'll find in the first few links if you google it.
mine says nothing except "U.S. ARMY SURVIVAL MANUAL" on the first page. most of the book is printed in black ink on regular paper, but almost the entire appendix is printed in color on glossy paper, except for the first 6 pages or so of appendix A.

I guess I'll just assume I have the 1991 version, and that the 1994 copyright refers to the presentation rather than the content.

-ken