Frozen : Texas Style
So that was a fun week.  I'm just north east of Houston.  The temperature got down to 13 degrees and my power was out from Monday at around 2 AM, until Tuesday at around 10AM and then after that it was sporadic until sometime Thursday morning. We've had power since then. 

The coldest it ever got in my house was in the 50's, but many of my friends measured 40's inside their houses.  Unfortunately I didn't have a backup generator so a lot of the time we were chilly and without power to do anything.  We didn't have internet starting Monday morning at 2 until Friday evening around 4PM, which made being stuck at home not much fun.  We played some board/card games. 

Ultimately we got off pretty good, no busted pipes or anything in our house.  We didn't get to enjoy the snow that we had because we didn't have power, and going outside when it's 20 degrees isn't fun when you can't go inside to get warm. We did get some legitimate snow which has only happened maybe 2-3 times in my 40+ years here... 

We are definitely investing in a generator now... we are more than likely going to get a portable and hook it to our circuit box over doing the backup home generator or solar panels, mostly due to the cost.  I can't really justify the cost of the whole home generator or solar panels for something that impacts us a couple times a year(Hurricanes usually).  

I know there are a few other Texans here, how did y'all get by?
I don't own kid gloves.

Steam Friend Code : 1636490
Lucky for you your Senator "Fled" Cruz went off to Cancun.   At least Trump didn't show up throwing match-boxes.
(02-19-2021, 08:44 PM)Dophuz Wrote: Lucky for you your Senator "Fled" Cruz went off to Cancun.   At least Trump didn't show up throwing match-boxes.
Not sure what the big deal was.
I don't own kid gloves.

Steam Friend Code : 1636490
(02-19-2021, 07:55 PM)strife Wrote: So that was a fun week.  I'm just north east of Houston.  The temperature got down to 13 degrees and my power was out from Monday at around 2 AM, until Tuesday at around 10AM and then after that it was sporadic until sometime Thursday morning. We've had power since then. 

The coldest it ever got in my house was in the 50's, but many of my friends measured 40's inside their houses.  Unfortunately I didn't have a backup generator so a lot of the time we were chilly and without power to do anything.  We didn't have internet starting Monday morning at 2 until Friday evening around 4PM, which made being stuck at home not much fun.  We played some board/card games. 

Ultimately we got off pretty good, no busted pipes or anything in our house.  We didn't get to enjoy the snow that we had because we didn't have power, and going outside when it's 20 degrees isn't fun when you can't go inside to get warm. We did get some legitimate snow which has only happened maybe 2-3 times in my 40+ years here... 

We are definitely investing in a generator now... we are more than likely going to get a portable and hook it to our circuit box over doing the backup home generator or solar panels, mostly due to the cost.  I can't really justify the cost of the whole home generator or solar panels for something that impacts us a couple times a year(Hurricanes usually).  

I know there are a few other Texans here, how did y'all get by?

I had a week off law school and had no Internet and had to play the games I had previously downloaded.. Was a nightmare.