Off to Japan...
Two weeks in quiet, quaint, serene Tokyo. Side trips to Nagano and Osaka. I hope Godzilla doesn't ruin this trip for me.

See youz!!!
Moristans: err

What the f*** Skelas - I know this is NSFW, but I coudn't watch this at work...

-Orsun
Enjoy being stared at!
Have a safe trip Mori and enjoy yourself!
"You cannot invade the mainland United States. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass." - Admiral Isoroku Yamamoto

Every citizen should be a soldier. This was the case with the Greeks and Romans, and must be that of every free state.
-Thomas Jefferson

Spread my work ethic not my wealth.
Can you grab me a Katana while you are there?
Caveatum & Blhurr D'Vizhun.
[Image: glarebear_av.gif]
[Image: sterb037.gif]
Hoofhurr Wrote:Can you grab me a Katana while you are there?

beat me to it!

just none of the factory made stamped/pressed steel ones, I want the real thing!
[should not have shot the dolphin]
Safe trip Mori
Game Tags
Skaag/Iceheart
Skaag51, Xbox Live
Skaag555, Steam ID
HAve fun man. Post pics when you get back.
Maul, the Bashing Shamie

"If you want to change the world, be that change."
--Gandhi

[Image: maull2.gif]
They have this newfangled thing called the internet in Japan too! You can even get piped into a home.

Thanks guys. Sitting in my friends apartment in Shinjuku waiting to head off to Kamakura for some touristy stuff!

BTW black sesame ramen ftw.

-Orsun
Jakensama Wrote:Enjoy being stared at!

I don't think non-Japanese people are THAT rare over there that we'd be stared at...are they?
I've always wanted to visit Japan.

Have fun!!
Fretty
Guild Wars 2: Fretty The Charming - Mesmer(currently inactive)
Rift: Nico - Cleric Extraordinaire // Fretty - Radical Rogue(currently inactive)
Eve: Fret V2 - EW Master of the Universe (currently inactive)
Your head, my lap. 'Nuff said.
They stare alot over there. I've never been stared at as much as I was in Tokyo, and I live in the european capital of staring at strangers on trains.. You will also likely get young girls coming up to try to talk to you.

That last part may have just been me, though, since I am ridiculously good looking.
They do stare, a lot. Hella polite though. The toughest transition between the States and Japan has always been the ginormous gap between the service in Japan and the service Stateside.

Anyway, just back from a gorgeous sidetrip to Nagano with some people my friend knows. Some of the nicest people I`ve met, ever. Off to Osaka tomorrow for my first trip on the bullet train and my first outing without my friend. This should be interesting at the very least. Confusedhock:

-Orsun
Did you ask why they stare?

What kinds of questions have they asked you? You need to share more Mori. If you bring up the service then give us some examples. No short cuts, lets hear it all.

Vllad
Yeah, what is the gap in service? I want to hear about that.
"Hamilton is really a Colossus to the anti republican party. Without numbers he is an host within himself. They have got themselves into a defile where they might be finished but too much security on the republican part will give time to his talents and indefatigableness to extricate them. We have had only middling performances to oppose to him. In truth when he comes forward there is nobody but yourself who can meet him. His adversaries having begun the attack he has the advantage of answering them and remains unanswered himself. For God's sake take up your pen and give a fundamental reply to Curtius and Camillas" - Thomas Jefferson to James Madison
Dustie Wrote:Yeah, what is the gap in service? I want to hear about that.

Any service would create a gap in service. There is no service in the US anymore atleast it's very rare.
"You cannot invade the mainland United States. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass." - Admiral Isoroku Yamamoto

Every citizen should be a soldier. This was the case with the Greeks and Romans, and must be that of every free state.
-Thomas Jefferson

I think I'm lost now...what are you referring to by "service"? :?
Fretty
Rift: Nico - Cleric Extraordinaire // Fretty - Radical Rogue(currently inactive)
Fretty Wrote:I think I'm lost now...what are you referring to by "service"? :?

"Hi, how may I help?", that service.

-Thomas Jefferson

That still exists?
Fretty
Fretty Wrote:That still exists?

Sounds like in Japan it does.

-Thomas Jefferson

I got the impression that Mori is saying service is better in the US. I guess we'll need to wait until he logs back in.
"Hamilton is really a Colossus to the anti republican party. Without numbers he is an host within himself. They have got themselves into a defile where they might be finished but too much security on the republican part will give time to his talents and indefatigableness to extricate them. We have had only middling performances to oppose to him. In truth when he comes forward there is nobody but yourself who can meet him. His adversaries having begun the attack he has the advantage of answering them and remains unanswered himself. For God's sake take up your pen and give a fundamental reply to Curtius and Camillas" - Thomas Jefferson to James Madison
If you think service is bad in the US you have never been to Europe.
Thudz Wrote:
Dustie Wrote:Yeah, what is the gap in service? I want to hear about that.

Any service would create a gap in service. There is no service in the US anymore atleast it's very rare.

Then you haven't been to Bufallo.

Buffalo which is the second poorest city in the US behind Detroit went a completely different route then Detroit did.

If you want to be employed in Buffalo you go into the family business. Almost all restaurant's here are family owned as well as plumbing, electicians, lawn care/winter plowers, computer repair, hair, contruction etc etc.

It feels like the 70's here in this town. Family businesses only make money by being kind. The customer service here is great. The city is clean and the bad economy has had very little impact here.

Customer service is a live and well in Buffalo.

Vllad
Ulfen Wrote:If you think service is bad in the US you have never been to Europe.

Its because nobody tips significantly in Europe. Waiting tables sucks, as anyone who has done it can tell you. I waited tables and bartended before I had a real job in college, and the only reason I didn't spit in my customers faces is because I worked at a good place and could make a few hundred tax free dollars in a night. If I worked here in europe where nobody tips but you get a steady wage as a waiter, I would give shit service as well - what is my motivation not to?

Decent service while eating out is one of the things i miss the most about the US since eating out at nice places is one of my pleasures and Houston was one of the better cities in the US to indulge that.
Vllad Wrote:Customer service is a live and well in Buffalo.

Vllad

And they fry all kinds of good food and the airport is pretty easy to fly in and out of.
Caveatum & Blhurr D'Vizhun.
[Image: glarebear_av.gif]
[Image: sterb037.gif]
Jakensama Wrote:
Ulfen Wrote:If you think service is bad in the US you have never been to Europe.

Its because nobody tips significantly in Europe. Waiting tables sucks, as anyone who has done it can tell you. I waited tables and bartended before I had a real job in college, and the only reason I didn't spit in my customers faces is because I worked at a good place and could make a few hundred tax free dollars in a night. If I worked here in europe where nobody tips but you get a steady wage as a waiter, I would give shit service as well - what is my motivation not to?

Decent service while eating out is one of the things i miss the most about the US since eating out at nice places is one of my pleasures and Houston was one of the better cities in the US to indulge that.

I don't think it has anything to do with tipping, they just aren't as service oriented. It's not a "bad" thing just different. A couple times I tried leaving tips at various places (restaurant, barber, etc) in Germany they seemed insulted by the gesture because they make a good wage. Also when you go into a store you don't have 10 people asking you every 5 minutes if you need help like they do here, I prefer to be left alone anyway.
Ulfen Wrote:I don't think it has anything to do with tipping, they just aren't as service oriented. It's not a "bad" thing just different. A couple times I tried leaving tips at various places (restaurant, barber, etc) in Germany they seemed insulted by the gesture because they make a good wage. Also when you go into a store you don't have 10 people asking you every 5 minutes if you need help like they do here, I prefer to be left alone anyway.

10% tip is normal here. If you go to a good place here you get good 'euro style' service, but average places just blow - waiters don't make shit and there is no incentive to work hard when you are doing a minimum wage job.