Coastal or Short Sea Shipping
Vllad Wrote:Those truck rates on that link are pretty subjective.

I can give the rail a run for there money with our leverage on rates.

You probably need to think about what your target customer profile looks like Dustie. Lets say you are doing New York to New Orleans/Panama City runs. What does your customer look like that you can compete with?

You need some good drayage rates to control cost and with enough coverage so that you aren't just doing the Motor Cargo thing of running goods from LAX to SFO. Can you handle the St Lawrence or are you just running out of Elizabeth?

Are you running pure containers? Who owns the containers? If you do how do you get your empties back? Are you providing a transload service so your containers aren't floating all over the country instead of on your ship? Do you lease the containers? Can you negotiate with some CFS stations? Do you stick with just huge bulk? Specialize in heavies? Do you charge on a cube basis or offer flat rates? Do you pre-sell your space?

It certainly has potential to compete with rail if you hit the right kind of customers and fuel cost gets out of control. You do need to think out the above subjects before you jump in the market though.

Vllad

No doubt there are lots of things to consider. I'm still in the "is it worth it to take time and consider these things yet." Evidence from DOT is suggesting it might be, but I really want to wait and hear about that port tax.
"Hamilton is really a Colossus to the anti republican party. Without numbers he is an host within himself. They have got themselves into a defile where they might be finished but too much security on the republican part will give time to his talents and indefatigableness to extricate them. We have had only middling performances to oppose to him. In truth when he comes forward there is nobody but yourself who can meet him. His adversaries having begun the attack he has the advantage of answering them and remains unanswered himself. For God's sake take up your pen and give a fundamental reply to Curtius and Camillas" - Thomas Jefferson to James Madison

Messages In This Thread