Media Center PC as DVR
Finally talked the wife into completely cutting the cable (dumping DirecTv), but still need to find a DVR solution for over-the-air local channels. Looks like the choice is between Tivo (cheaper upfront, but monthly fee) or Windows Media Center.

Anyone had an experience with boxes like the Zotac Zbox, or something similar? The Zbox looks decent, but doesn't seem to have tuners built in (I guess a USB solution would work). We'll only be using it as a DVR, since we use AppleTV for streaming, so it doesn't need to have meaty hardware.

http://www.zotacusa.com/products/mini-pcs/zbox
Ex SWG, L2, CoH, Wow, and War
Currently PvPing in the stock market
I've used media center straight out of windows, and its free with the exception of needing to buy a tuner for your PC. I use xbox to stream from media center to the main TV, and other PC's can also stream the content.
Maul, the Bashing Shamie

"If you want to change the world, be that change."
--Gandhi

[Image: maull2.gif]
I'll have to have a look at Xbox...haven't really done anything with mine for years. Main question is whether my wife or kids can turn on the TV while I'm at work and easily play a recorded show, without screwing around with Xbox menus (or Xbox controllers!)? And do you need a newer Xbox to do all this stuff? Mine's from one of the first batches. Oh, and do you need to pay that monthly fee for Xbox live?
You don't need xbox live or a new xbox and the interface is easy enough, but of course you have to pick up a controller to tell it what you want to play - it doesn't have a telepathic interface quite yet.|

But if you have your stupid iproduct and it can stream (not that the stupid one I had ever did that without lots of annoying hacking), why use the xbox - it can't record things..
Yeah, that's true, Xbox doesn't really help me. I need to something attached to the TV that can be used to schedule recordings and such. A Media Center PC would do it, but I'll probably just go with a TIVO box to make it easier.
If only you would come to the darkside and pirate tv shows like everyone else, this wouldn't be an issue Wink
I have been with game of thrones, but it's a pain in the arse, especially when you end up with big chunky Dutch subtitles on the screen you can't turn off. I'd pay if it were an option.