Disney buys Lucasfilm for $4b...
...and they are already working on a new trilogy (7, 8 and 9), with the first coming out on 2015.

At first I couldn't decide if this is a good or a bad thing, but then I realized no one could destroy the legacy of the original movies any worse than George already has. And Disney/Marvel have done a pretty good job with recent Marvel flicks.

I saw someone suggest they could have Joss Whedon directing Nathan Fillion as Ham Solo's son. Which is pretty cool idea. So it will never happen.
Ex SWG, L2, CoH, Wow, and War
Currently PvPing in the stock market
Grieve Wrote:And Disney/Marvel have done a pretty good job with recent Marvel flicks.
This was the big plus for me. Had Disney not done so well in some of the marvel movies I would be way more pessimistic... I'm pretty excited to see what happens...

And the new trilogy wasn't that bad. It wasn't as good as the original, but it was still pretty good... it didn't destroy the legacy.
I don't own kid gloves.

Steam Friend Code : 1636490
I'm all for it as far as them being in charge of new content.

But my sister is in charge of all Lucasfilm books and comics so I'm worried about her job.
As long as they don't introduce time travel to change some of the fundamental historical base line, Im excited.
Maul, the Bashing Shamie

"If you want to change the world, be that change."
--Gandhi

[Image: maull2.gif]
They've already come out and said 7,8, and 9 will be completely new material, so I'm sure the expanded universe created by the books will be blown out of the water.
Breand Wrote:They've already come out and said 7,8, and 9 will be completely new material, so I'm sure the expanded universe created by the books will be blown out of the water.

dumbest thing they could have done
[should not have shot the dolphin]
Breand Wrote:so I'm sure the expanded universe created by the books will be blown out of the water.

Its as if millions of nerds suddenly cried out in terror and were suddenly silenced.
At this point I would actually trust Disney with it more than Lucas.
Give it to the guys who did Kotor, thats a better written star wars story than any of the mostly sub-par movies (including episode IV).
I heard a quote from Lucas about sort of the reasoning behind selling it... basically he said he's getting old and is retiring and all of the people who've bitched at him for not handling the series the way they want it can go fuck themselves(okay, the last part was very loosely translated.)
I don't own kid gloves.

Jakensama Wrote:Give it to the guys who did Kotor, thats a better written star wars story than any of the mostly sub-par movies (including episode IV).

or the guy who sold best selling triology that is widely accepted as the official unofficial canon
[should not have shot the dolphin]
I've had bad luck with Star Wars books, all the ones I pick up have pretty terrible writing. Even with the thick skin of someone who has had a guilty pleasure of reading fantasy/sci fi over the years, the ones I picked were bad.

But I did read stuff on the EU about the expanded universe and a lot of it seems more interesting than the films.
[Image: 222482_10151314883653417_84731194_n.jpg]
Maul, the Bashing Shamie

"If you want to change the world, be that change."
--Gandhi

[Image: maull2.gif]
not really on topic but... if you ever get REALLY bored... and are a star wars geek. Go browse Wikipedia on the light saber fighting stances and all that... it's pretty crazy how much information they have on there. Also they have all kinds of information about old Sith lords and stuff like that. I wasted a good chunk of an entire workday reading through it a while back.
I don't own kid gloves.

I could see the Timothy Zahn Thrawn trilogy being used as 7, 8, and 9. Too bad its going to be all new material that will probably invalidate over a decade of official books.
Maren Wrote:I could see the Timothy Zahn Thrawn trilogy being used as 7, 8, and 9. Too bad its going to be all new material that will probably invalidate over a decade of official books.

Yeah, I liked that series mostly because it centered on Thrawn who is a great character, a Star Wars Rommel. Of course I have a soft spot for the bad and semi bad characters in SWs... even though Dharus actually helped the Rebels.

There is a wealth of info out there and this move could really be good for Star Wars Universe. At the very least Lucus finally has released his grib on it which will hopefully lead to better writting and productions. Being that it is Disney, however, makes me worried that it'll be more Jar Jar Binks and less force choking.
I could see them cherry picking cool characters like Thrawn and Mara Jade and making something new with them. I just personally can't imagine them using new actors for the 4,5,6 characters. I would think they would start way in the future, but who knows.

Assuming my sister keeps her job, she would be working on the novelizations of the new movies, so I'd probably be getting early scoops.
also was stated it would probably be set 30 years after ROTJ
I loved all of the Thrawn books. I don't think they would be adapted well to movie format though. Thrawn isn't a true bad guy. He was actually making the galaxy a safer and better place.
A-LA-BA-MA MAN!
HE'S QUICK, HE'S STRONG, HE'S ACTIVE!
You can take Alabama Man to the bowling alley, where he drinks heavily and chews tobacco!
HE CAN BOWL, HE CAN DRINK, HE CAN DRINK SOME MORE, ALA-BA-MA-MAN!
When wife asks him where he's been, just use the action button and Alabama Man busts her lip open!
"Shut up, Bitch!"
"Wow!"
BEATS HIS WIFE AND SLEEPS IT OFF, A-LA-BA-MA MAN!
Zouji Wrote:I loved all of the Thrawn books. I don't think they would be adapted well to movie format though. Thrawn isn't a true bad guy. He was actually making the galaxy a safer and better place.

So was Megatron. "Peace through tyranny".
The more I think about it, the more I'm kind of stoked about this. I really, really hate the prequels. I can think of about 10 minutes total from all three that I actually like (and most of that is from the Darth Maul fight at the end of 1). There's no doubt they are technically and visually stunning, but jesus christ...the direction and the horrible, horrible dialogue. I couldn't give a crap about whether the characters live or die most of the time...in fact mostly I'm hoping they die so that I don't have to listen to the god-awful script any more.

Assuming Disney brings in a good director (and I can't imagine they'd skimp on that after paying 4 billion for the rights), this could be really good. I wish Peter Jackson wasn't tied up with The Hobbit for a couple more years, but Brad Bird would be a pretty good choice. His animated movies rock, and MI4 was actually really good. Joss Whedon would be even better. Maybe even JJ Abrams (enjoyed Star Trek and Super 8 ). Guillermo Del Toro...Sam Raimi...Christopher Nolan...Paul Greengrass...I'm pretty sure any of them would do 100 times better than Lucas.

Don't really care about the storyline, never read the books. As long as it sticks fairly close to the original trilogy I'm in. I heard there's a good chance Luke will be in as an Obi-Wan-like character...would be pretty cool if they brought Mark Hamil back. I always thought he didn't get enough credit in the original trilogy, and he's done great voice work since.
Grieve Wrote:I can think of about 10 minutes total from all three that I actually like (and most of that is from the Darth Maul fight at the end of 1).

Oh come on. The Yoda/Dooku fight should be included for sure!
TinStar
96 99 44 4 33
TinStar Wrote:Oh come on. The Yoda/Dooku fight should be included for sure!
Hated it. Smile I remember reading that a lot of the ILM people doing the effects for that thought it was stupid, but Lucas pushed it through.
seriously? So the fight in which Obi somehow jumped from a hanging position and grabbed a lightsaber and cut Maul in half (w/out Maul reacting) is a better fight than Yoda actually fighting for once in all the movies? Bah. Maybe the fight wasn't that badass because Dooku got away and it was super short and Yoda kind of pussied out, but when Yoda walked around the corner all slow and old and then starts doing flips and shit you at least had to smile right? I guess I hate the Maul fight because I watched a video in which they showed everything in slow motion and where the swords went and it just made the fight pretty petty.
TinStar
96 99 44 4 33
Im not sure how anyone can look at the original triology and pretend those fights were good either, though. The only reason none of us call episodes IV-VI awful is because we saw them so much as kids and they are ingrained in pop culture.