Geektastic movies for 2013
World War Z (June)
Nice trailer
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HcwTxRuq-uk[/youtube]

Man of Steel (June)
Yet another superhero reboot from Zack Synder (300 was great, Watchmen was ok, Sucker Punch was sucky)
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ll39CAovGrg[/youtube]

Star Trek Into Darkness (May)
First one was really good
[Image: Star-Trek-Into-Darkness-Cumberbatch-Quinto.jpg]

Iron Man 3 (May)
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2CzoSeClcw0[/youtube]

Oz: The Great and Powerful (March)
Sam Raimi goes to Oz
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yyywumlnhdw[/youtube]

Elysium (August)
Directed by the guy who did District 9
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jfAI5QWELdg[/youtube]

The Seventh Son (October)
Vaguely interesting looking fantasy movie (not a lot of those around).
[Image: seventh-son-concept-art1.jpg]

Oblivion (April)
Tom Cruise post-apocalyptic sci-fi flic .
[Image: oblivion-movie.jpg]

The Wolverine (July)
The last one sucked, but this time they have a good director (James Mangold) and writer (Christopher McQuarrie, Usual Suspects)
[Image: wolverine-poster-close.jpg]

Thor: The Dark World (November)
Another year, another 10 Marvel movies
[Image: ThorHammer.gif]

Ender’s Game (November)
Never read the book, but I hear it’s good. Gavin Hood also directed the shitty X-Men Origins: Wolverine, though
[Image: Enders+Game.jpg]

The Hunger Games: Catching Fire (November)
Liked the books, first movie was good, and Jennifer Lawrence is hot
[Image: The-Hunger-Games-Catching-Fire.jpg]

300: Rise of an Empire (August)
Almost guaranteed to totally suck
[Image: 300_comic-pic.JPG]

Pacific Rim (July)
Guillermo del Toro, Aliens, and Giant Frikkin’ robots!
[Image: comic-con-pacific-rim-poster1.jpg?w=625&...0&a=t&q=89]

The Host (March)
Yes, it’s written by the chick who wrote Twilight, but it has a good director and cast, and it’s about parasitic alien souls.
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcR4mB-C-DPulfaNBEVJYJs...lppVuIqdGE]

The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug (December)
Sherlock Holmes as a giant fire-breathing dragon – what’s not to like? Guess we'll find out in a few weeks if Peter Jackson still has it.
[Image: NEpW3g3SMSTZtv_1_1.jpg]
Ex SWG, L2, CoH, Wow, and War
Currently PvPing in the stock market
Enders Game was pretty awesome... it's one of the only books I've read multiple times. Really curious to see how the movie comes out.

I'm not sure it's possible to make a good new Superman movie... either that or everyone who's tried sucks ass.

Excited about Iron Man 3, and curious about Wolverine... the rest of the lot doesn't do much for me... although I am cautiously optimistic about the Hobbit.
I don't own kid gloves.

Steam Friend Code : 1636490
The 3 or 4 times I've read Ender's Game I always wondered how it might be made into a movie. I'm very interested to see how they interpret and translate some of the different threads into a movie.

But as with most book <--> movies, I'm sure having read the book first, I'll hate the movie since it didn't come close to doing the book justice.

Too many games to fit in signature....
Another interesting one:

Gravity
From Alfonso Cuarón (Children of Men), and starring George Clooney and Sandra Bullock. James Cameron apparently said it was 10 years ahead of it's time.
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xFn7Zr7WKkI[/youtube]
Oh yeah, and the followup to Sin City - A Dame To Die For. Frank Miller and Robert Rodriguez again, and bringing back Clive Owen, Jessica Alba and Mickey Rourke (so I guess it's a prequel).

[Image: Sin_City_2_a_dame_to_kill_for-1.gif]
Lots of good stuff there. Interested to see what they do with World War Z. The book was kinda dry and didn't really have a single contiguous story. It was basically a collection of interview-style perspectives, as I recall. Looks like lots of military hardware in play, though, so that's going to be hard to resist.

Not sure we needed another Superman reboot. I liked the last movie. How many goddamn times do we need to be re-introduced to Superman, anyway? We need "Superman 2", that skips that first hour of introduction. This new one looks like it's going to be 2 hours of introduction. (Superman as a deep sea fisherman! Yeah! That's what I go to the movies for!)

Not sure about Ender's game. I loved the books but I think the movie has a high potential to either be really boring or really changed from the book. I just don't think it's going to translate well to the big screen.
Also, I think the trailer for Gravity may be the worst trailer I can recall seeing. I must now assume the movie is 5/6ths darkness and words.
Slamz Wrote:Also, I think the trailer for Gravity may be the worst trailer I can recall seeing. I must now assume the movie is 5/6ths darkness and words.

Totaly agree.. I was thinking to myself "this is the appproved trailer?? seriously?! It's worse than the fake movie trailers" - in fact I thought it was fake initially.
Gameless (for now)
I think the Gravity trailer is designed to create buzz, where buzz is defined as people commenting to each other "what the hell is this movie supposed to be about, anyway? the trailer was completely useless."

-ken
New World: Snowreap
Life is Feudal: Snowreap Iggles, Taralin Iggles, Preyz Iggles
Naval Action: Taralin Snow, Snowy Iggles
EQ2: Snowreap, Yellowtail, Taralin, Disruption, Preyz, Taralynne, Snowy, Snowz
ESO: Snowreap, Yellowtail
PS2: Snowreap
GW2: Snowreap, Yellowtail, Preyz, Taralin, Taralynne
RIFT: Snowreap, Yellowtail, Preyz, Taralin, Snowy
PotBS (British): Taralin Snow, Taralynne Snow, Snowy Iggles, Edward Snow
PotBS (Pirate): Taralin Snowden, Taralynne Snowden, Redshirt Snowden
WW2O: Snowreap
WAR: Snowreap, Preyz, Lbz, Leadz, Snowz, Taralin, Snowmeltz, Yellowtail, Snowbankz
APB: Snowreap, Sentenza
STO: Snowreap@Snowreap, Snowz@Snowreap
AoC: Yellowtail, Snowreap, Snowstorm, Redshirt
WoW (Horde): Snowreap, Savagery, Baelzenun, Wickedwendy, Taralin, Disruption, Scrouge, Bette
WoW (Alliance): Yellowtail, Wickedwendy, Snowreap
AC1: Snowstorm, Yellowtail, Shirt Ninja, Redshirt
Slamz Wrote:Not sure we needed another Superman reboot. I liked the last movie. How many goddamn times do we need to be re-introduced to Superman, anyway? We need "Superman 2", that skips that first hour of introduction. This new one looks like it's going to be 2 hours of introduction. (Superman as a deep sea fisherman! Yeah! That's what I go to the movies for!)
Yes, they are doing these reboots way too soon. I just watched "The Amazing Spiderman", and while I enjoyed it overall, it was completely unnecessary so soon after Raimi's (much better) versions (1 and 2 at least).

Still, Man of Steel looks interesting. Pretty great cast. I didn't like the last one, Superman Returns, that much. Hopefully this one will be better.
Both Gravity and Elysium are just teaser trailers, I wouldn't base too much on them. I'm expecting both to be two of the best movies of next year. Children of Men and District 9 were two of the most original and thought-provoking sci-fi flicks in years.
No movie has affected me as an audience member as much as Children of Men did. I thought about that movie for weeks after leaving the theatre, and the people I saw the film with and I went out for coffee just so we could keep talking about it. Those long uncut sequences kept me glued, and they allowed those few quiet poignant moments to be that much more impactful.

/em waits for the comment about long and uncut...
Gameless (for now)
Slamz Wrote:Not sure we needed another Superman reboot. I liked the last movie. How many goddamn times do we need to be re-introduced to Superman, anyway? We need "Superman 2", that skips that first hour of introduction. This new one looks like it's going to be 2 hours of introduction. (Superman as a deep sea fisherman! Yeah! That's what I go to the movies for!)

Could not agree more.
Maul, the Bashing Shamie

"If you want to change the world, be that change."
--Gandhi

[Image: maull2.gif]
Superman is the worst, most boring superhero of all time. They keep rebooting because the black and white 1930/40s origin story is about as exciting as watching paint dry.
I agree that it doesn't get much more boring than someone who is completely invulnerable to everything except to green rocks, so they have to keep using the green rocks in every movie. I always thought DC in general sucked next to Marvel. Always had a soft spot for the first two Superman movies, though.
I don't know that Superman's invulnerability makes him special. Every movie hero, from Batman to John McClain, is effectively unkillable. You already know that they'll beat the bad guys. It's more of a character story. I thought Justice League did a pretty good Superman -- basically making him the leader of an organization and giving him a lot of stress to deal with, which he didn't deal with entirely well. Superman gets cranky. (I particularly liked the scene where it was revealed that Batman always carried kryptonite in his toolbelt with the explanation something to the effect of "What? Well, you never know.")

If anything, every movie trying to pit him against kryptonite is probably the biggest flaw. Zod from Superman II probably had the best idea by realizing he can get at Superman not with kryptonite, but just by attacking civilians.

But still, while I think Superman is best done as a character story, I still expect it to be in the context of "superhero", not "deep sea fisherman".
I agree with why do they have to keep rebooting things like superman. There is so much content to be had... like issue 500 of 'The adventures of Superman'...Where superman 'dies'. And like I said, that is issue 500! They stopped at issue 714. And started at 1 again last year.

I watched 'The Amazing Spiderman' last night, they got things correct with him being a kid genius and actually making a formula for his webbing. I believe there was two spiderman stories though(just spiderman and 'the amazing spiderman'). And this is a bit of a relief from Toby Maguire. I have had a celebrity crush on Emma Stone since Superbad.

The Hobbit was an excellent book, I think I have read it 3 times... and I don't read novels very often.
I just don't get how he is making that small book into 3 movies. While he made the LOTR trilogy of books into only 3 movies. There was so much content that he could have made an epic 5-6 movie feature. Maybe that is what he is doing with the Hobbit, not leaving out any content. Leaving the story up to Tolkien and not picking parts. What ever it is, the trailer when the dwarves first meet Bilbo looked really excellent... just the scene with them tossing cups and dishes around. I also hope he uses more 3d throughout the movie instead of one or two little scenes like 3/4 of the 3d stuff.
Kakarat Keys ~ Thief ~ Guild Wars 2
Kakarat ~ Shaman ~ WoW ~
Kakarat ~ Witch Hunter ~ WAR:AoR
Riona ~ Knight of the Blazing Sun ~ WAR:AoR
Kakarat ~ Swashbuckler ~ EQ2 ~ Venekor
Eef Eigten[F-18]~ 60 Aracoix Rogue ~ Shadowbane
Kakarat ~ 60 Ogre Warrior ~ EQ ~ VZ
Kakarat Wrote:I also hope he uses more 3d throughout the movie
I hope people stop making 3D movies. Until you can show me your content in 3D without the need for a pair of crappy glasses somehow shoehorned over my existing glasses then I don't want to see it. I cringe every time someone comes out with a move I want to see and do it in 3D.
Zirak / Thanoslug in lots of MMOs
[Image: homicidal.jpg]
"Consensus: The process of abandoning all beliefs, principles, values, and policies in search of something in which no one believes, but to which no one objects; the process of avoiding the very issues that have to be solved, merely because you cannot get agreement on the way ahead." -Margaret Thatcher
Kakarat Wrote:The Hobbit was an excellent book, I think I have read it 3 times... and I don't read novels very often.
I just don't get how he is making that small book into 3 movies.

He's adding a lot of the tedious mythology and backstory that Tolkein wrote to fill it up.

Shoulda stuck with 1 movie like the awesome 70s animated one Wink
Jakensama Wrote:He's adding a lot of the tedious mythology and backstory that Tolkein wrote to fill it up.
Ha, those are the bits I'm most looking forward to. Smile

I loved The Hobbit as a kid, but to me that's what it is...a kids story. Very light-hearted tone (although darker towards the end), and not really fitting in with Lord of the Rings (e.g. tra-la-la\drunk elves). Jackson is pulling a lot of stuff from appendixes, including The Battle of Dol Guldur, where The White Council drive Sauron out of Mirkwood, and all the stuff Gandalf does while he's not with Bilbo and the dwarves (which is most of the book).

I thought "comic relief Gimli" was one of the worst parts of the LOTR films, so less time with 13 (!) dwarves and more with Gandalf and huge battles with giant spiders and wolf-riding orcs sounds good to me.

Not so sure about the other changes, like Evangeline Lily (of Lost) as "an elf maiden" and so on. But I guess we'll see soon enough. Early reviews should be out pretty soon...

Oh, you can listen to some of the Howard Shore soundtrack, which sounds suitably epic:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LRxR9sfHMVI
http://thefilmfatale.me/tagged/Soundtrack-of-the-Day (scroll down)
What? The Hobbit is 3 movies?! Ugh. I guess that could be awesome but will remain to be seen.

Kinda agree about 3-D. Not sure it's worth the extra hassle. I "like" the 3-D but it really doesn't do much for me. I can't think of any old favorite movie where I really wish they'd remake it in 3-D, nor has there been any movie I've seen in 3-D which I think would have been made worse by being seen in 2-D. It's more of a gimmick.

Maybe when they can do movies as true 3-D holographic projections, I'll start having a clear preference for 3D over 2D.
Slamz Wrote:Maybe when they can do movies as true 3-D holographic projections, I'll start having a clear preference for 3D over 2D.

Like you are in the holodeck ... but can not interact with the holograms. You feel apart of the movie... and then someone touches your shoulder and you scream...because you were watching a horror flick in 3d.
Kakarat ~ Shaman ~ WoW ~
Slamz Wrote:What? The Hobbit is 3 movies?! Ugh. I guess that could be awesome but will remain to be seen.

Yea I was surprised as well, but as I thought about it, it could be a very good thing. I could see the three break out like this.

1. From start to getting out of the goblins caves.
2. to escaping the wood elves and reaching the human town.
3. The dragon and final war.

I loved lord of the rings, but much of it was rushed, even with the extended versions.
Maul, the Bashing Shamie

"If you want to change the world, be that change."
--Gandhi

[Image: maull2.gif]
Couple more trailers...

Star Trek: Into Darkness
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=diP-o_JxysA[/youtube]

Oblivion
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dQ3Mt9yiz6k[/youtube]
(bit too Tom Cruise-y)
The Lone Ranger with J. Depp as Tonto...
Kakarat ~ Shaman ~ WoW ~