I have been Lasik'ed
And its pretty fucking amazing. Had the surgery yesterday. Woke up today and I can see!!!
Maul, the Bashing Shamie

"If you want to change the world, be that change."
--Gandhi

[Image: maull2.gif]
Nice!!!

Been trying to talk my wife into it, but she doesn't think its worth the money...
I don't own kid gloves.

Steam Friend Code : 1636490
Vanraw Wrote:And its pretty fucking amazing. Had the surgery yesterday. Woke up today and I can see!!!

What the hell. They told me I was to old to have it now and not old enough for it to take. They told me to come back when I was 60 and they would consider it.

You are my age for christ sakes.
Getting Lasik was one of the best investments I've made.

Strife, if you talk your wife into it, I got mine done by Dr. Mayo at the Eye Center of Texas. They are a little pricey, but very good. Just keep in mind that they can only get your sight up to what it is when corrected by glasses - my dad got the lens replacement since he was starting to get cataracts.
Strife Wrote:Nice!!!

Been trying to talk my wife into it, but she doesn't think its worth the money...

Maybe she is just being nice since she doesn't want to admit to not wanting to look at your ugly mug. You look much better blurry.

Too many games to fit in signature....
Maren Wrote:Getting Lasik was one of the best investments I've made.

Strife, if you talk your wife into it, I got mine done by Dr. Mayo at the Eye Center of Texas. They are a little pricey, but very good. Just keep in mind that they can only get your sight up to what it is when corrected by glasses - my dad got the lens replacement since he was starting to get cataracts.

My Dad did his lens replacement with Mayo too, amazing how simple and quick that procedure is.
Arsilon Wrote:
Strife Wrote:Nice!!!

Maybe she is just being nice since she doesn't want to admit to not wanting to look at your ugly mug. You look much better blurry.
Maybe... but she wears contacts which gives her good vision, so I doubt it... but maybe that's why she takes her contacts out before "bed time."

I think it's more she's just used to wearing contacts so they don't really bother her... and she's cheap and doesn't like to spend money...
I don't own kid gloves.

Lasik is the supreme case study which proves government doesnt belong in Health Care system.

Shit where government isnt footing maximum bills = people actually compare PRICES & QUALITY, so there is competition among providers.

Asking medicare providers how much a procedure or something actually costs is like talking GREEK to him.
[should not have shot the dolphin]
I'm still curious how a 5 minute procedure can cost $2000 per eye(or whatever the actual cost is)...
I don't own kid gloves.

1. malpractice insurance
2. the high costs associated with getting FDA approval for a medical device
3. the high cost of the device itself (the manufacturer needs to bank a lot of cash in case of liability lawsuits)

-ken
New World: Snowreap
Life is Feudal: Snowreap Iggles, Taralin Iggles, Preyz Iggles
Naval Action: Taralin Snow, Snowy Iggles
EQ2: Snowreap, Yellowtail, Taralin, Disruption, Preyz, Taralynne, Snowy, Snowz
ESO: Snowreap, Yellowtail
PS2: Snowreap
GW2: Snowreap, Yellowtail, Preyz, Taralin, Taralynne
RIFT: Snowreap, Yellowtail, Preyz, Taralin, Snowy
PotBS (British): Taralin Snow, Taralynne Snow, Snowy Iggles, Edward Snow
PotBS (Pirate): Taralin Snowden, Taralynne Snowden, Redshirt Snowden
WW2O: Snowreap
WAR: Snowreap, Preyz, Lbz, Leadz, Snowz, Taralin, Snowmeltz, Yellowtail, Snowbankz
APB: Snowreap, Sentenza
STO: Snowreap@Snowreap, Snowz@Snowreap
AoC: Yellowtail, Snowreap, Snowstorm, Redshirt
WoW (Horde): Snowreap, Savagery, Baelzenun, Wickedwendy, Taralin, Disruption, Scrouge, Bette
WoW (Alliance): Yellowtail, Wickedwendy, Snowreap
AC1: Snowstorm, Yellowtail, Shirt Ninja, Redshirt
Diggles Wrote:Lasik is the supreme case study which proves government doesnt belong in Health Care system.

Shit where government isnt footing maximum bills = people actually compare PRICES & QUALITY, so there is competition among providers.

Asking medicare providers how much a procedure or something actually costs is like talking GREEK to him.
Lasik is an elective procedure. You don't need it to live. Might as well say tattoos are the "supreme case study."

To those who have tried it:
Have you tested your new peepers out at night? In the rain? Any glare or anything? How about dryness? I've heard people have to use eye drops constantly. In other words...I'm chicken... Eyes are something you don't want to fuck up.
Uncle Shags Wrote:
Diggles Wrote:Lasik is the supreme case study which proves government doesnt belong in Health Care system.

Lasik is an elective procedure. You don't need it to live. Might as well say tattoos are the "supreme case study."

You can live without alot of stuff that IS covered and isnt elective, doesnt mean you should. Insurers would rather be making money on you buying contacts & glasses for the rest of your life. Just like how pharma companies would rather make penis pills than cure serious diseases, the revenue stream STOPS. They'd rather not cover a great use of technology to rid the world of these 'archaic eye pieces' to fix human defects because it cuts into their profit.
[should not have shot the dolphin]
Vllad Wrote:
Vanraw Wrote:And its pretty fucking amazing. Had the surgery yesterday. Woke up today and I can see!!!

What the hell. They told me I was to old to have it now and not old enough for it to take. They told me to come back when I was 60 and they would consider it.

You are my age for christ sakes.

hmm that is the first I heard of that. Might depend on what you have going. I've worn glasses / contacts since about age 28. My prescription changed every year until about 10 years ago it stopped changing. That was one of my governing decisions to go for it, thinking I will not need it adjusted.

Also the tech has really changed in the list 5 years. Might be worth going in and getting screened again. I was nervous so went to different providers and talked allot to my eye doctor. All said I was a good candidate. Have then do the full screening (you actually need someone to drive you home for the screen because the dilation is so aggressive). Make sure you go somewhere that uses the latest tech. Today that's femtosecond laser for the flap and excimer laser for the cornea reshaping.

One note is it does not fix Presbyopia, which is the hardening of the lens. You still need cheaters to read. But hey old farts need reading glasses.

Im just glad that when the zombie apocalypse comes I wont be screwed when my glasses break....
Maul, the Bashing Shamie

--Gandhi

Maren Wrote:Getting Lasik was one of the best investments I've made.

Mine was 3960 (off from 4400 because my company has eye care insurance which is odd cause they don't cover Lasik). I had leftover in the HCRA spending account from 2012 and combined it with 2013, so for the most part it didnt feel like it cost me anything. The HCRA is before taxes so that was a significant reduction as well.

I spend about 600 plus a year on glasses and contacts. So in the long run this is a good investment fully paid off in a little over 4 years.
Maul, the Bashing Shamie

--Gandhi

I was in the clinical trials for Lasik 15 years ago or so? Can't remember how long it's been, best thing I ever did. Went from 20/300 to 20/15

Granted my vision is starting to fail now, but i'm getting old, and my doc said that it would go just like it goes for anyone as they get older.

There's no sweeter moment than waking up in the middle of the night after you get it done and actually being able to see the fucking clock without fumbling for your damn glasses.
Skelas

Burnt to a crisp.
Skelas Wrote:I was in the clinical trials for Lasik 15 years ago or so? Can't remember how long it's been, best thing I ever did. Went from 20/300 to 20/15

Granted my vision is starting to fail now, but i'm getting old, and my doc said that it would go just like it goes for anyone as they get older.

There's no sweeter moment than waking up in the middle of the night after you get it done and actually being able to see the fucking clock without fumbling for your damn glasses.
You can get it done again can't you?
I don't own kid gloves.

Supposedly, It's just not bad enough yet to warrent it.

I'm probably 20/40 or so right now.
Skelas

Burnt to a crisp.
Skelas Wrote:Supposedly, It's just not bad enough yet to warrent it.

I'm probably 20/40 or so right now.

yea it depends on the individual and how much material they have to work with. I had a friend that went back for corrections. They did them, but was told that there wasnt really any way he go back to the till again.

Its one of the things they measure in the intial screening process.
Maul, the Bashing Shamie

--Gandhi

Maybe you didn't see my question:

To those who have tried it:
Have you tested your new peepers out at night? In the rain? Any glare or anything? How about dryness? I've heard people have to use eye drops constantly. In other words...I'm chicken... Eyes are something you don't want to fuck up.
Shags,

The first year or so i'd get halos at night around lights, but it didn't bother me at all, I fact I kinda liked it. I also had eye dryness for the first year or so, no big deal, but I did use eye drops alot more than at any other time in my life, maybe 1-2 times a day.
Skelas

Burnt to a crisp.
I have night time halo's around lights, but it's minimal. No other side effects (i.e. no dry eyes or anything else of the sort).

You can get Lasik done again, but you have to either use the same doctor or have your records from the doctor that did the lasik - the new doctors need to see how your eye was altered the first time.
Skags I honestly can say that I dont see any halos that I didnt see with contacts. So I do have some but its minimal, and since I am used to it, I dont even notice it. The halos for me are just a point of light that isnt sharp. Sort of fuzzy around the edge. It doesnt impact driving and such in anyway. But again Im used to it.

The other side effects was suppose to be dry eye's. Depends on the person, but I have none. I think if you experiance dry eyes before, you apt to have a b igger issue. But my DR also said that if you experiance it it tends to be in the healing period.

No issues with night vision for me.

The biggest problem I have, is Im an old fart and still have to wear cheaters for reading. It doesnt fix Presbyopia.
Maul, the Bashing Shamie

--Gandhi

Thanks. My prescription hasn't changed since junior high when i first needed glasses, so I'm a good candidate I think. I might start looking into it.