Steel frame house
Does anyone know anything about steel framed houses? It seems like a no-brainer to build houses with steel frames. It would save trees, be stronger, cheaper, allow for bigger open rooms, no rotting/termites etc..

What is the down side?
"Hamilton is really a Colossus to the anti republican party. Without numbers he is an host within himself. They have got themselves into a defile where they might be finished but too much security on the republican part will give time to his talents and indefatigableness to extricate them. We have had only middling performances to oppose to him. In truth when he comes forward there is nobody but yourself who can meet him. His adversaries having begun the attack he has the advantage of answering them and remains unanswered himself. For God's sake take up your pen and give a fundamental reply to Curtius and Camillas" - Thomas Jefferson to James Madison
My apt has steel/aluminum framing instead of wood and it's a pain to hang heavy things on the walls. I can't put a nail into a stud so I get to use drywall anchors.
In the NYC and in Hoboken, all new construction is made with metal framing.

It doesn't burn.

Mostly it is premade and framing is similar to wood framing actually.
Maranatha!

Maranatha\Amarantha\Dolmori\Helojoki

Riz says, "That's made of pure bacon and win!"
Biggest problem by far is energy efficiency. Insulation has to be singnificantly increased because the metal will suck the heat right out of a room.

One of my favorite things about it is that the studs already have pre-cut holes for conduit.

edit: the other issue is that while the compression strength is higher than wood, they studs are very thin, and if they aren't installed properly, any loads perpendicular to the stud are a huge problem. Here is florida, steel framing is really common, so there are plenty of folks who know how to install em properly, up north it is a little less common, so just make sure your contractor has plenty of experience in steel framing installation.

edit2: it also doesn't actually allow for bigger rooms. Wall thickness is pretty much identical.
Have you looked into building houses out of shipping containers?
~ The Duskwood Gankster ~
WoW & Beyond: Grizzle / Grizol
EQ/SB: Rafkin / Kriticos / Dudain
O, Can't you get higher gauge steel for more strenght? I would only do this if the end result it is a stronger house that can take a beating and last longer.

Griz, I imagine shipping containers are pretty cheap right now. Maybe we could try it.
"Hamilton is really a Colossus to the anti republican party. Without numbers he is an host within himself. They have got themselves into a defile where they might be finished but too much security on the republican part will give time to his talents and indefatigableness to extricate them. We have had only middling performances to oppose to him. In truth when he comes forward there is nobody but yourself who can meet him. His adversaries having begun the attack he has the advantage of answering them and remains unanswered himself. For God's sake take up your pen and give a fundamental reply to Curtius and Camillas" - Thomas Jefferson to James Madison
Pour concrete walls and call it a day.
"You cannot invade the mainland United States. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass." - Admiral Isoroku Yamamoto

Every citizen should be a soldier. This was the case with the Greeks and Romans, and must be that of every free state.
-Thomas Jefferson

Spread my work ethic not my wealth.
straw bale houses for the win.
Buffalo dung and prairie grass?
Dustie Wrote:O, Can't you get higher gauge steel for more strenght? I would only do this if the end result it is a stronger house that can take a beating and last longer.

Griz, I imagine shipping containers are pretty cheap right now. Maybe we could try it.

more steel, more cost. And believe me steel gets expensive very quickly. VERY quickly.

Edit: it is also not necessary to build a 'bunker'... well made timber construction homes can last a very long time with minimal upkeep. Unfortunately simple things like drying in a roof properly are often done poorly, and even the smallest leak (one you wouldn't see) can wreak havok on a home's life span.
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://life.gaiam.com/gaiam/p/Garbage-Warrior-Turns-Trash-Into-Houses.html">http://life.gaiam.com/gaiam/p/Garbage-W ... ouses.html</a><!-- m -->

Actually you can build a house out of dirt and old junk including trash and it can be entirely energy independent.
A-LA-BA-MA MAN!
HE'S QUICK, HE'S STRONG, HE'S ACTIVE!
You can take Alabama Man to the bowling alley, where he drinks heavily and chews tobacco!
HE CAN BOWL, HE CAN DRINK, HE CAN DRINK SOME MORE, ALA-BA-MA-MAN!
When wife asks him where he's been, just use the action button and Alabama Man busts her lip open!
"Shut up, Bitch!"
"Wow!"
BEATS HIS WIFE AND SLEEPS IT OFF, A-LA-BA-MA MAN!
ICF's: Insulated Concrete Forms.

Steel's a great product for building and insulation isn't a big problem with all the new "Spray Foam" type insulators.

Currently I'm working on rezoning one of my properties for a mult-family, mixed use zoning so i can build a 13 unit condo.

I've had my architect looking at ICF's vs Steel and I think, from what he tells me, ICF"s make a better foundation (Super high insulation (RF), as well as incredible sound insulation), however, he's suggested using steel framing in addition to the ICF because of stability in levels above 20ft... suggesting a diverse building strategy rather than just a one stop shop (all wood, steel, or concrete).

I don't know any of the specifics for reasons to pick one over the other, reason why i hired him, but if you have a direct question i can pass it along to him... I'll bill ya later Smile)) :twisted:

I also remember a couple companies taking the steel from 'Ground Zero' and reusing it to build housing and industrial warehouses. I can try to dig up those links.
Amins brings up a really good point. Typically there is a combination of material that will best suit your location (hurricane's, tornadoes, floods, earthquakes, blizzards, exteme heat or cold...)
What about cost compared to a comprable wood house. Is steel frame really cheaper?

(Assuming standard gauge and not my tank stopping gauge)
Dustie Wrote:What about cost compared to a comprable wood house. Is steel frame really cheaper?

(Assuming standard gauge and not my tank stopping gauge)

It really depends on the company that you are buying from. I would really have to say that wood is cheaper than steel. You could even go with a PWF(permanent wood foundation) basement. That shit lasts forever.

Mind you I am pro-wood. I have framed houses with Dad and you can do anything you want with wood. Mind you, we do not have to contend with termites in this cool climate Tongue

Of course it all depends where you live. Some areas of the US do not allow basements. Some areas require shear(Engineer will tell you). Mostly earthquake regions. I have never had to build anything in hurricane areas. If you build in hurricane area, I recommend the ICF to the roof. So your roof/windows will be the weak point of your structure. And a cheap fix for insurance.
Kakarat Keys ~ Thief ~ Guild Wars 2
Kakarat ~ Shaman ~ WoW ~
Kakarat ~ Witch Hunter ~ WAR:AoR
Riona ~ Knight of the Blazing Sun ~ WAR:AoR
Kakarat ~ Swashbuckler ~ EQ2 ~ Venekor
Eef Eigten[F-18]~ 60 Aracoix Rogue ~ Shadowbane
Kakarat ~ 60 Ogre Warrior ~ EQ ~ VZ
I think you should look for a good cave house.
And if someone asks you if you've been living in a cave...
Moristans: err

What the f*** Skelas - I know this is NSFW, but I coudn't watch this at work...

-Orsun
... you could show them your pretty, primitive rock paintings...
With a significant steel component to your house's structure, you'll want to be certain you ground it very VERY well. A business in my area had a brand new building built for them, all steel construction and very nice. They cheaped out on grounding it.

Every major thunderstorm, they had to replace several computers and PBX systems. It got expensive for them quickly.
If your worried about termites or a nuclear holocaust you can build a house out of an abandoned missile silo.

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://itotd.com/articles/282/missile-silo-homes/">http://itotd.com/articles/282/missile-silo-homes/</a><!-- m -->

If I had a lot of money I would love to have one of these.
A-LA-BA-MA MAN!
HE'S QUICK, HE'S STRONG, HE'S ACTIVE!
You can take Alabama Man to the bowling alley, where he drinks heavily and chews tobacco!
HE CAN BOWL, HE CAN DRINK, HE CAN DRINK SOME MORE, ALA-BA-MA-MAN!
When wife asks him where he's been, just use the action button and Alabama Man busts her lip open!
"Shut up, Bitch!"
"Wow!"
BEATS HIS WIFE AND SLEEPS IT OFF, A-LA-BA-MA MAN!