Poll: I'll be getting an iPad
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Hell yes, Steve Jobs is The MAN!!
11.76%
4 11.76%
Yes, it looks like a great product.
11.76%
4 11.76%
Sure, I'm a tech freak.
0%
0 0%
Maybe, if I can find a use for it.
11.76%
4 11.76%
Probably not. It looks cool but I dont see how I'd use it.
20.59%
7 20.59%
Probably not because AT&T sucks donkey balls.
0%
0 0%
No way. Looks like a complete waste of money.
29.41%
10 29.41%
Hell no. Did you see the "PC 4 Life" tattooed on my neck?
14.71%
5 14.71%
Total 34 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Poll: iPad
Jakensama Wrote:Its also necessary to have a cell phone once you become a corporate whore like me so your Korean clients can wake you up at 4 am.
Globalization sucks. Dustie and I were in a meeting with our Shanghai team until 10.30pm last night. Sad
Ex SWG, L2, CoH, Wow, and War
Currently PvPing in the stock market
Doubly for me, all my clients are in asia or the US, so when I am actually in the office there is nothing to do.
Slamz Wrote:
Breand Wrote:The Kindle is a book replacement, the iPad is a device that can display books.
^ this.

The Kindle doesn't need games because it's a book replacement, not a gamepad.
The Kindle doesn't need "multi-touch" because the only two buttons you REALLY need are "prev page" and "next page".
A color display could be good in some cases but approximately 99% of the things I read are black-and-white text.

(and even for the things I read that are color, I'm not convinced that, say, a Neil Gaiman graphic novel would look good on an iPad. The iPad is large but his books are larger still, which means you'd either be shrinking the images or having to scroll, neither of which is ideal. e.g., the hardback Sandman is 15.8" x 8.9" -- significantly larger than the iPad. I think I'll just continue buying graphic novels on paper.)

"Kindle vs iPad" is like "iPad vs laptop". If you pay about twice as much and don't mind getting something larger, you'll get a lot more functionality. If you don't need the functionality, then don't pay twice as much.

Even further are simple size and weight comparisons. If you are an avid reader, are you going to want to hold something small, compact, and lightweight in one hand, or something larger, bulky, and requires two hands? One of the reasons I love the Kindle isthat at night I can lie in bed at night and hold it over my head with one hand, using the thumb to easily advance the pages. With an iPad, I would have to use both hands to hold it above.

No, the iPad is not for serious book readers. But, if all you read are newspapers, magazines and school text books, where the iPad is always set on its back on a surface and you are not constantly supporting its weight, then I could maybe understand.

But for newspapers, I read them all online - my desktop & laptop already do that fine, I don't need a specialty media player to do that. Magazines, I still get those in the mail, and enjoy reading them as an actual magazine. Text books - I'm not in school.
~ The Duskwood Gankster ~
WoW & Beyond: Grizzle / Grizol
EQ/SB: Rafkin / Kriticos / Dudain
I like that the kindle can fit in my overcoat pocket.
back when I wore suits to work, I'd have them tailored with an extra-large inside breast pocket for my Apple Newton MessagePad 2000. this simple solution solved the problem of not having a properly-sized pocket to put it into.

nowadays, I don't wear suits to work, but I'm not using the Newton anymore either -- now I carry a laptop everywhere I go so I have little need for a PDA of any kind.

-ken
New World: Snowreap
Life is Feudal: Snowreap Iggles, Taralin Iggles, Preyz Iggles
Naval Action: Taralin Snow, Snowy Iggles
EQ2: Snowreap, Yellowtail, Taralin, Disruption, Preyz, Taralynne, Snowy, Snowz
ESO: Snowreap, Yellowtail
PS2: Snowreap
GW2: Snowreap, Yellowtail, Preyz, Taralin, Taralynne
RIFT: Snowreap, Yellowtail, Preyz, Taralin, Snowy
PotBS (British): Taralin Snow, Taralynne Snow, Snowy Iggles, Edward Snow
PotBS (Pirate): Taralin Snowden, Taralynne Snowden, Redshirt Snowden
WW2O: Snowreap
WAR: Snowreap, Preyz, Lbz, Leadz, Snowz, Taralin, Snowmeltz, Yellowtail, Snowbankz
APB: Snowreap, Sentenza
STO: Snowreap@Snowreap, Snowz@Snowreap
AoC: Yellowtail, Snowreap, Snowstorm, Redshirt
WoW (Horde): Snowreap, Savagery, Baelzenun, Wickedwendy, Taralin, Disruption, Scrouge, Bette
WoW (Alliance): Yellowtail, Wickedwendy, Snowreap
AC1: Snowstorm, Yellowtail, Shirt Ninja, Redshirt
Jakensama Wrote:Doubly for me, all my clients are in asia or the US, so when I am actually in the office there is nothing to do.
Which explains your 5500+ posts on this website... ;-)
grizzle Wrote:If you are an avid reader, are you going to want to hold something small, compact, and lightweight in one hand, or something larger, bulky, and requires two hands? One of the reasons I love the Kindle isthat at night I can lie in bed at night and hold it over my head with one hand, using the thumb to easily advance the pages.
Hmm...this begs the question, just what is it that you reading in bed that requires your other hand to be free...?
It raises the question, begging the question is a logical fallicy commonly known as circular reasoning. And yes, boring work hours account for most of my posts on here and fark.
Grieve Wrote:
grizzle Wrote:If you are an avid reader, are you going to want to hold something small, compact, and lightweight in one hand, or something larger, bulky, and requires two hands? One of the reasons I love the Kindle isthat at night I can lie in bed at night and hold it over my head with one hand, using the thumb to easily advance the pages.
Hmm...this begs the question, just what is it that you reading in bed that requires your other hand to be free...?

Uh, a BIBLE, of course!@ I need the other hand to repeatedly perform the sign of the cross.
~ The Duskwood Gankster ~
WoW & Beyond: Grizzle / Grizol
EQ/SB: Rafkin / Kriticos / Dudain
So am I reading this write? You masturbate to the bible? I probably missed something Smile
Maul, the Bashing Shamie

"If you want to change the world, be that change."
--Gandhi

[Image: maull2.gif]
Jakensama Wrote:It raises the question, begging the question is a logical fallicy commonly known as circular reasoning.

G is not using "Begging the Question" properly in the first place so it isn't even circular reasoning.

He is using the slang version which is a result of bad translation from common Latin. Which begs the question as to how anyone could possibly believe anything in a current bible given typical translations errors.

In other words like I did above I improperly tried to inforce my first idea by segway via the second.

Bacially G bastardized his own meaning.

Vllad
Initial reviews are pretty great.

http://gizmodo.com/5506824/first-ipad-reviews-are-in

Especially from Walt Mossberg:

http://www.businessinsider.com/mossberg-...pad-2010-3

Nice product placement on Modern Family last night, as well...
I'm sure it is a neat toy. If only it had some use to fill in my life I would consider burning money on it, but it offers nothing my current gadgets don't already do and is not small enough to replace any of them.

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.nytimes.com/2010/04/01/technology/personaltech/01pogue.html?partner=rss&emc=rss">http://www.nytimes.com/2010/04/01/techn ... ss&emc=rss</a><!-- m -->

Quote:The Apple iPad is basically a gigantic iPod Touch

Quote:There’s an e-book reader app, but it’s not going to rescue the newspaper and book industries (sorry, media pundits). The selection is puny (60,000 titles for now). You can’t read well in direct sunlight. At 1.5 pounds, the iPad gets heavy in your hand after awhile (the Kindle is 10 ounces). And you can’t read books from the Apple bookstore on any other machine — not even a Mac or iPhone.
More reviews:

http://blogs.wsj.com/digits/2010/04/01/i...d=yahoo_hs
Jon Stewart on the stolen iPod issue (and other Apple issues)
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.thedailyshow.com/watch/wed-april-28-2010/appholes">http://www.thedailyshow.com/watch/wed-a ... 0/appholes</a><!-- m -->
Slamz Wrote:Jon Stewart on the stolen iPod issue (and other Apple issues)
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.thedailyshow.com/watch/wed-april-28-2010/appholes">http://www.thedailyshow.com/watch/wed-a ... 0/appholes</a><!-- m -->
Stewart's piece was really pretty stupid - Apple didn't kick down the Gizmondo guy's door, the police department did. What, does he think they are on the payroll and used as "heavies" by Jobs to take down his enemies?

I actually think Apple could have done (and may still) far more to Gizmondo, who bought stolen goods and then published trade secrets on a not-yet-released product. I'm sure Apple's competitors would have paid far more than $5k for that sort of info... All Apple has done so far is send a rather mild letter to Gizmondo asking for the phone back.

And if you don't think it was stolen...the phone had all the contacts and the Facebook profile of the owner, and the guy who "found" it, instead of calling the contacts, turning it in to the police, or even giving it to the bartender, decided to sell it for five grand. I'd call that a criminal act.
Grieve Wrote:Stewart's piece was really pretty stupid - Apple didn't kick down the Gizmondo guy's door, the police department did. What, does he think they are on the payroll and used as "heavies" by Jobs to take down his enemies?
somebody complained to the police department, and signed an affadavit which was the justification for a search warrant. probably not Jobs personally, he has people for that.

-ken
New World: Snowreap
Life is Feudal: Snowreap Iggles, Taralin Iggles, Preyz Iggles
Naval Action: Taralin Snow, Snowy Iggles
EQ2: Snowreap, Yellowtail, Taralin, Disruption, Preyz, Taralynne, Snowy, Snowz
ESO: Snowreap, Yellowtail
PS2: Snowreap
GW2: Snowreap, Yellowtail, Preyz, Taralin, Taralynne
RIFT: Snowreap, Yellowtail, Preyz, Taralin, Snowy
PotBS (British): Taralin Snow, Taralynne Snow, Snowy Iggles, Edward Snow
PotBS (Pirate): Taralin Snowden, Taralynne Snowden, Redshirt Snowden
WW2O: Snowreap
WAR: Snowreap, Preyz, Lbz, Leadz, Snowz, Taralin, Snowmeltz, Yellowtail, Snowbankz
APB: Snowreap, Sentenza
STO: Snowreap@Snowreap, Snowz@Snowreap
AoC: Yellowtail, Snowreap, Snowstorm, Redshirt
WoW (Horde): Snowreap, Savagery, Baelzenun, Wickedwendy, Taralin, Disruption, Scrouge, Bette
WoW (Alliance): Yellowtail, Wickedwendy, Snowreap
AC1: Snowstorm, Yellowtail, Shirt Ninja, Redshirt
Snowreap Wrote:somebody complained to the police department, and signed an affadavit which was the justification for a search warrant. probably not Jobs personally, he has people for that.

-ken
If secret prototype hardware was stolen from the company I work for, I can guarentee they would report it to the police as well. What technology company wouldn't? It's up to the cops to decide if a crime was committed, and evidently they decided there was.
My boss won an iPad at a raffle during the NAB conference in Vegas. Just finished playing with it. It's nice but I would never buy one.
Breand Wrote:My boss won an iPad at a raffle during the NAB conference in Vegas. Just finished playing with it. It's nice but I would never buy one.
I got my 3G iPad today...absolutely love it. I really think these things are going to take off in a big way as more people try them out. I'll try to convert Slamz and Dustie on Monday...
I'd buy one as a toy but your paying the price of an actual laptop for the one with any functionality... Maybe if the dollar stays in the shitter til my next vacation home, but im certainly not paying 800 euros for one.

That being said, Grieve is obviously paid by Steve Jobs to fellate his products.
This is what I have been saying all along. Grieve is just a Cog in the great Apple Ponzi scheme engine.
Maul, the Bashing Shamie

--Gandhi

I'm not really entirely convinced he's a real person, I think he is just an Itunes-shill forum bot...
That is complete nonsense. It's entirely coincidence that I can tell you about a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to pick up Vanilla Ice's complete discography at 20% off in the iTunes store, for today only! Or why not try some easy listening...all Barry Manilow boxed sets are on our recommended listening playlist for the rest of this week!

By the way, here's something I just figured out that the other corporate drones on Purgare might appreciate. I already knew I could seamlessly access my work e-mail through the mail client (just like the iPhone), as well as read and edit Word, Excel, and Powerpoint files.

I also just figured out how to VPN into the office and then remote desktop into my machine there (from home). Not only can I now connect to my machine from anywhere, but once I do it's turned into a touch-screen interface. All from a free app.

What does that mean? It means I can go and hang out at the bar for a two hour lunch while still pretending to be working. Wink (something Slamz already does everyday, but without the "pretending to be working" part)

[Image: iPadRDP.jpg]
[quote="Grieve"

I also just figured out how to VPN into the office and then remote desktop into my machine there (from home). Not only can I now connect to my machine from anywhere, but once I do it's turned into a touch-screen interface. All from a free app.

What does that mean? It means I can go and hang out at the bar for a two hour lunch while still pretending to be working. ;) (something Slamz already does everyday, but without the "pretending to be working" part)
[/quote]

Hey unless your using something like RSA Secure Socket authentication, we would never ever let you do this. VPN tunnel or not.

We do however do similar things with 3 stage authentication using secureid. I hardly ever have to be at the office, as I can manage most of my business via my blackberry. A MUCH MUCH better business tool.
Maul, the Bashing Shamie

--Gandhi