Poll: I'll be getting an iPad
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Hell yes, Steve Jobs is The MAN!!
11.76%
4 11.76%
Yes, it looks like a great product.
11.76%
4 11.76%
Sure, I'm a tech freak.
0%
0 0%
Maybe, if I can find a use for it.
11.76%
4 11.76%
Probably not. It looks cool but I dont see how I'd use it.
20.59%
7 20.59%
Probably not because AT&T sucks donkey balls.
0%
0 0%
No way. Looks like a complete waste of money.
29.41%
10 29.41%
Hell no. Did you see the "PC 4 Life" tattooed on my neck?
14.71%
5 14.71%
Total 34 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Poll: iPad
Yeah, we use RSA SecurID FOBs. I work for EMC - we own RSA. Wink

As a programmer, this makes life hugely easier for me. If I started a build before I left work, I can quickly VPN in from wherever, check on the build, and restart it if that is a problem. Sure I could do that with my laptop, but the iPad is a fraction of the size and weight, plus it has 3G so I can do it from anywhere even if there is no wifi. And the battery lasts 10 times longer than my laptop.

Apart from that, the iPad just all-around rocks at everything. Touch screens are the future, without a doubt. I'm not the only one who thinks so - Apple just announced that they've already sold over 1 milliion of the little buggers, even before they are available overseas. The Japanese are going to eat these things up - the iPhone is already massive out there.

Buy AAPL. Wink
Ex SWG, L2, CoH, Wow, and War
Currently PvPing in the stock market
The subliminal messages are starting to make my eye twitch.
Maul, the Bashing Shamie

"If you want to change the world, be that change."
--Gandhi

[Image: maull2.gif]
How are the touch screens for markups?.... finger smudges?... do they provide a micro-fiber cloth with it? Surgical gloves?
Sure you say touch screens are the future. But my biggest pet peeve on my screen are swipe marks/finger marks. It has to be spotless.
Kakarat Keys ~ Thief ~ Guild Wars 2
Kakarat ~ Shaman ~ WoW ~
Kakarat ~ Witch Hunter ~ WAR:AoR
Riona ~ Knight of the Blazing Sun ~ WAR:AoR
Kakarat ~ Swashbuckler ~ EQ2 ~ Venekor
Eef Eigten[F-18]~ 60 Aracoix Rogue ~ Shadowbane
Kakarat ~ 60 Ogre Warrior ~ EQ ~ VZ
Kakarat Wrote:How are the touch screens for markups?.... finger smudges?... do they provide a micro-fiber cloth with it? Surgical gloves?
Sure you say touch screens are the future. But my biggest pet peeve on my screen are swipe marks/finger marks. It has to be spotless.
Yep, it gets smudgy pretty fast, but you don't really notice except when it's off (black screen). And the fingerprints wipe off very easily - it has a special smudge resistant dohickey in the screen. Same as the iPhone.
Video:

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.theonion.com/video/apple-introduces-revolutionary-new-laptop-with-no,14299/">http://www.theonion.com/video/apple-int ... -no,14299/</a><!-- m -->
Fretty
Guild Wars 2: Fretty The Charming - Mesmer(currently inactive)
Rift: Nico - Cleric Extraordinaire // Fretty - Radical Rogue(currently inactive)
Eve: Fret V2 - EW Master of the Universe (currently inactive)
Your head, my lap. 'Nuff said.
Fretty Wrote:Video:

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.theonion.com/video/apple-introduces-revolutionary-new-laptop-with-no,14299/">http://www.theonion.com/video/apple-int ... -no,14299/</a><!-- m -->

That was good. I think I saw Grieve in the back ground. I hate when people post from the onion, cause I end up just wasting away on the site watching story after story Smile
Maul, the Bashing Shamie

--Gandhi

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

I don't need another camera.

Multitasking is in the upcoming OS 4.0 release.

I have no desire to change the battery.

Why do I need standard ports? I can do whatever I need through bluetooth and WiFi.

Let's have a Kindle/iPad face-off in the lodge over lunch. Smile
Having used my colleagues ipad he brought back from USA for a couple hours today, I will say its a neat toy but in no way shape or form worth the price when I could just buy a laptop.

Kindle blows it away as a specialized device for the purpose of e-reading books (I could see color magazines and such being better on kindle but I dont read them or picture books enough to matter) and is cheaper, I wont be wasting money on it unless apples book store massively eclipses amazon.

Having no usb port for external media kills it as a travel device when it has such a piss poor storage capacity... But they dont want to stop your efforts to funnel all your purchases through them. I suppose if there was something I could use it for while lounging around the house and accessing my nas wirelessly it might be neat, but I watch videos on the TV and the kindles fine for toilet reading - so what else can it do that I need?
In other news, my wife's 87 year old uncle handed me a Kindle, said "I got this for my birthday, can't get it to work, and will never use it, so if you can get it working it's yours."

The screen was shot. I called Amazon, said I got it as a gift and it never worked. They checked the serial #, it was still under warranty and shipped me a new one no questions asked. Win!
Since I've had one since the 3rd of April (yes, I preordered it), I think I've spent enough time on one to actually have a real opinion.

1. I bought it as a test device. I will have a board game out for it (German-style) by sometime in June. I have what is essentially a minis game (spaceship combat) out of design and hope to have it out for Christmas. For games of this style, it's amazing. It's easier to take this with me for Small World, Hive (Carcasson soon) than a bunch of boxes. This removes some of the barrier of entry to game designers (publishing and distribution costs).

2. As a book reader, it's fine. I've finished 3 books on it so far (first two Song of Ice and Fire and the latest Dresden book) and had no trouble using it as a reader. It's outselling the shit out of the kindle btw...

3. It's perfect for media consumption. Most of what we do on a computer, it does well. It web surfs great (don't give me shit about Flash, I stopped going to sites that used it as an interface element over a year ago, I don't give a fuck about flash ads, and I haven't run into a single video I couldn't watch on it if I wanted to). I use it as my primary email server. I watch video on it (quite a bit of Netflix instant, Dr Who episodes). I do NOT use it as an iPod, though it works fine as one. I just don't see the need (I do use it occasionally to RDP into my computer to change a tune playing through my sound system). I read books on it (as stated above).

4. I actually finished my design documents on the Pages App. I did all the logical models on the iPad. I created the graphics on it (as an experiment). The only part I'm not doing on it is the code itself. I'm doing that on my macbook.

Basically, 99% of the time, I don't boot up my main computer any more(I use it to sync my phone and dial into work when necessary). I only use my laptop (the macbook) when I need to write code. It's pretty much replaced the majority of my home computing needs. Not bad for a device that's specifically NOT made to replace one. Oh yeah, the true test is, are people actually buying it, or is it hype.....1 million units sold in the first month. That's not shabby (and that means 1 million potential customers for my game).
Rizxen - Master of Clones
For those still not convinced, here's a really good review from Dan Frommer after using the iPad for 100 days. His thoughts are very similar to mine (except I love the games).

http://www.businessinsider.com/ipad-100-...iew-2010-8

I still stand by my prediction that a bunch of the naysayers here will end up buying one - Dustie has already cracked and gotten one. I wonder if we'll find out anything about the iPad 2 tomorrow?
Dustie is a closet apple head. OMG Grieve, what have you done.
Maul, the Bashing Shamie

--Gandhi

Soon Grieve and I will convert you all for the mighty Steve!

Honestly, as an update, I'd love my iPad a lot more if my wife would quit stealing it from me.
such a thing might be useful in our household if it supported Flash. it's my understanding that it doesn't, so for now it's just a cool toy that has no useful purpose for us. kind of like cable TV.

-ken
New World: Snowreap
Life is Feudal: Snowreap Iggles, Taralin Iggles, Preyz Iggles
Naval Action: Taralin Snow, Snowy Iggles
EQ2: Snowreap, Yellowtail, Taralin, Disruption, Preyz, Taralynne, Snowy, Snowz
ESO: Snowreap, Yellowtail
PS2: Snowreap
GW2: Snowreap, Yellowtail, Preyz, Taralin, Taralynne
RIFT: Snowreap, Yellowtail, Preyz, Taralin, Snowy
PotBS (British): Taralin Snow, Taralynne Snow, Snowy Iggles, Edward Snow
PotBS (Pirate): Taralin Snowden, Taralynne Snowden, Redshirt Snowden
WW2O: Snowreap
WAR: Snowreap, Preyz, Lbz, Leadz, Snowz, Taralin, Snowmeltz, Yellowtail, Snowbankz
APB: Snowreap, Sentenza
STO: Snowreap@Snowreap, Snowz@Snowreap
AoC: Yellowtail, Snowreap, Snowstorm, Redshirt
WoW (Horde): Snowreap, Savagery, Baelzenun, Wickedwendy, Taralin, Disruption, Scrouge, Bette
WoW (Alliance): Yellowtail, Wickedwendy, Snowreap
AC1: Snowstorm, Yellowtail, Shirt Ninja, Redshirt
I'm just curious...what exactly do you need flash for? I hear it talked about, but I never find a need for it (and indeed no longer have flash installed on my PC).
I don't miss flash, but I will agree there is the occasional website that is a pain when it doesn't work without it. Usually it's something my wife and I are looking at to do with the kids.

Apparantly there is a web browser app awaiting approval from Apple that supports flash, though. It does it off-site rather than processing it on the iPad itself. Will Apple approve it? Guess we'll find out...

Bear in mind that flash is on the way out (helped greatly by the storming success of the iPad), and likely will be gone altogether in a few years.
Facebook games.

possibly youtube video as well, but I've heard that youtube has done something to address that, so I'm assuming it's now a non-issue.

-ken
WAR: Snowreap, Preyz, Lbz, Leadz, Snowz, Taralin, Snowmeltz, Yellowtail, Snowbankz
WoW (Horde): Snowreap, Savagery, Baelzenun, Wickedwendy, Taralin, Disruption, Scrouge, Bette
Which Facebook games? Many of them now have their own iPad/iPhone apps. The only one I really play is Scrabble, which has a great iPad app. My wife is addicted to Family Feud, which you can't play on the iPad yet, although there is a very good third-party app (not linked to FB).

And yeah, YouTube is a built-in app on iDevices, and works just fine.
Yeah, videos are mostly moving to HTML5 due to the new encoding no longer requiring a royalty. Pretty much anything that's game related has an app. Sites that rely on flash for navigation, well...I never liked that anyway, so I have no issue with avoiding them.

Once again, I consider it a media consumption device. I've told more people that the iPad is NOT for them than I've recommended it to. Oddly, most of them bought it anyway and seem to enjoy it once they realize what it's primary uses are.

Dustie, when you get Carcassone, let me know. A three-way game between Grieve and you would be fun.
The iPad, for me, is in that category of gadgets that looks like it would be fun to play with but that I would never spend my own money for.
Zirak / Thanoslug in lots of MMOs
[Image: homicidal.jpg]
"Consensus: The process of abandoning all beliefs, principles, values, and policies in search of something in which no one believes, but to which no one objects; the process of avoiding the very issues that have to be solved, merely because you cannot get agreement on the way ahead." -Margaret Thatcher
Grieve Wrote:Which Facebook games? Many of them now have their own iPad/iPhone apps.
none that we play. and many of the ones that have their own iPhone version are separate from the Facebook version (so you have to start over at level 1, and cannot play the game with your Facebook friends), or not fully integrated with the Facebook version (so for example if you send someone a gift using Farmville for iPhone, the recipient must use the iPhone version of Farmville to accept it, although after it has been accepted on the iPhone it is then usable on the Facebook version of the game).

-ken
My mrs. bought one at launch, played with it for a while, but we rarely actually find a use for it.. Its not convenient to haul around with you anywhere outside the house honestly, so not much use with it... still read on kindles.. I suppose its something to do on the shitter, which is probably the one niche it fits well (although thats killed by the static when you turn someone elses toy into the bathroom and they start whining about that)

I'm really not sure what people who don't already own computers and tvs use this thing for, but whatever... Jobs said you needed it, and who are you to argue?
Just watched the live streaming of today's Apple event. This really is the best company in the world. New Apple TV looks spectacular for just $99, and I might even be able to convince my wife to dump DirecTv for it. Upcoming Project Sword game is simply jaw-dropping for a game on a phone.

All hail Steve!
Some people are easily impressed.

Great! New Ipods with more touch screens which makes them more of a pain in the ass to use.. joy.