Conan server 1808 thread
(02-23-2020, 05:09 PM)Diggles Wrote: Why arent you guys playing Albion with us?

I don't know.  If it's grindy and just temporary then why?  I'm still messing with the new stuff.  Killed a running China guy from horseback last night.
I’d like to try Albion but I don’t think I could catch up to you guys. I don’t have the time. With work and courses I’m taking, I don’t have many hours for gaming.
Albion is less grind than Conan, really. We thought it had a lot of grind to it but it turns out we were doing almost everything wrong. It puts a lot of things in front of you that you CAN grind up but unless you're really into that sort of thing, there's not much reason to. (e.g. you can grind your way up to crafting tier 8 fire staves and sell them on the trade house as a form of income but there's no actual need to do any crafting at all. Or you can grind your way up to using tier 8 swords but since you'll never actually want to carry one due to item loot, there's not a whole lot of sense in that, either.)

That said, Albion has a few issues:
Kinda like Atlas and to a lesser extent Conan, it can be hard to find a "good fight" -- most of the time you overwhelm them or they overwhelm you.
Due to Albion's perspective, you don't really know which type of fight it's going to be until it's over -- you can't see very far.
Finding someone to murder can be a problem -- though a lot of that may still be us looking in the wrong places.
There isnt really any catching up to do. There are no hard group limits for most content and you can tag along. You just had a bad spec and skill the one dungeon run you came on with us. Since lower levels require less XP you'll level your skills up quick
[should not have shot the dolphin]
Like Slamz said we were doing it all wrong. We were playing like we play every other MMO. Grind, Harvest, Craft... Grind more.... We didn't need to do any of that lol. I was serious when I said I think Anne would like the farming portion which doesn't take much time, makes money and then you can just dungeon it up or walk outside for pvp. Good times IMO.

Faction it up! You get points while flagged for doing almost anything.

I started it but honestly I don't see the pull yet. Conan was super easy to get to 60 I think I did it within 6 hrs gameplay time not even trying. The server dynamics sort of suck though because larger clans come and go based on success in PvP. The combat now is fairly enjoyable but still twichy.
Did they ever fix the Conan lag problem? i.e., server runs great after a reset but then 3 months later runs like crap because of all the building? Maybe the purge mechanic keeps a lid on it now? That was the #1 thing that drove me away from that game.
(02-24-2020, 03:52 PM)Slamz Wrote: Did they ever fix the Conan lag problem? i.e., server runs great after a reset but then 3 months later runs like crap because of all the building? Maybe the purge mechanic keeps a lid on it now? That was the #1 thing that drove me away from that game.

During the day there isn't lag.  At raid and purge time there is sometimes lag, sometimes bad.  They said Purge's were limited because of server strain but I didn't feel any when my base was under attack.  There are massive structures but rarely lag because of that.  The Purge and decay work well so most old bases pop before it gets crazy.  There are people who DDoS the server though or at least try to bug it out.  That's what I expect happens some nights.  It cannot be population because i saw less lag near max pop than with 15 on.

So, the server runs well pretty consistantly but mileage varies probably because of asshats.

I'm thinking of repopulating Dragon.  My hanging base is a sitting duck with some of these changes.
As suspected (and possibly provoked) the Alpha clan (Dogs of War) hit hanging base last night.  They used a shit ton of bombs but didnt get much other than what was in the working chests which might of been enough for 1 bomb.  They also built a t3 base nearby with a vault.  I patched the holes, repaired in spots and check my hidden storage and everything was secure so no thralls lost except Crice's dancer and my horse and still have tons of materials.  They also blew up by little t1/t2 pyramind which had a chest in it.  They used so many bombs that about 5 bomb showed up as losing stability because the stuff it was placed on crumbled.  If this was way back, I'd suspect dupping, however, I realized making bombs now is super easy.  Demon blood drops a lot now so its really about steelfire for demonpowder so with a thrall you could crank out explosive jars.

I think I killed an alt because some t1 structure popped up of a solo guy who stole some stuff from my unused barn.  I checked out the base during raid time and there was a fully leveled fighter thrall guarding with modified godbreaker armor.  Pretty odd for a 20ish level guy to have that.  I killed the thrall, bombed the base, and sent the guy to the desert.  The Alpha attacked about 2 hrs later.  I suspect the server is setup again like the old WD server was.  Large clan using alts and shell corps to hide numbers and generate conflict.  There are larger targets out there from several other clans that nobody messes with much like Nerfherders, WD, and Silent's group.
and done... ran into a speed hacking, animation spammer, hitting me from about 10 blocks away.
You should check out 7 Days to Die. We're just playing on a private server, PvE style. Not really sure how fun it would be as a PvP game, though I guess it would be similar to Rust. Zombie survival game with a pretty ridiculously huge crafting tree. It's sufficiently difficult and complex that I have a hard time imagining playing it totally solo -- there's just so much stuff you need to do to survive.
(02-27-2020, 10:44 AM)Slamz Wrote: You should check out 7 Days to Die. We're just playing on a private server, PvE style. Not really sure how fun it would be as a PvP game, though I guess it would be similar to Rust. Zombie survival game with a pretty ridiculously huge crafting tree. It's sufficiently difficult and complex that I have a hard time imagining playing it totally solo -- there's just so much stuff you need to do to survive.

A friend of mine played that and its shared (I'm not sure if that would limit playing online).  I'm assuming Albion is done.  I might go back to EvE to be honest.  Apparently, CCP is slowly morphing the large political dynamics and are slowly reducing resources promote some higher level conflicts.
I was thinking about creating a character on a PVE-C server. Open world PVP but no base raiding. Although there will be hackers like you ran into.
(02-27-2020, 11:25 AM)AnneWildcat Wrote: I was thinking about creating a character on a PVE-C server. Open world PVP but no base raiding.  Although there will be hackers like you ran into.

Yeah, it seems pretty common.  I heard over global chat a few times that most of the players are leaving because of the exploit.  This has been a chronic problem for Conan unfortunately but I think a lot of it is because of Unity and the way they developed it.  It was the same issue with DayZ too.
(02-27-2020, 11:20 AM)Dharus Wrote: I'm assuming Albion is done.

Well, nobody is playing it now. I could see going back to it once we get tired of fighting zombies. The more I play these FFA guild-based games, though, the more I look forward to Camelot Unchained and back to RvR style fighting.

Which Albion does offer and was something I wanted to check out more, too. If I load Albion back up, it will be to join a faction and just run around faction flagged and pretend it's an RvR game. Although I do wonder if "full loot" and "RvR PvP" are compatible concepts...

I like RvR because there's usually more fighting. But that's not entirely sustainable in a full loot game. I want there to be skin in the game but maybe not so much that you eventually quit because it's too hard to stay geared up. Presumably why Naval Action had such a hard time too -- RvR but ship destruction meant a lot of people just flat out avoided fighting. Naval Action died pretty much the same way POTBS and Albion did, which was logging in to no action too many nights in a row.
I still play Albion at the moment but random PUGS doing elite dungeons or an hour of faction roaming.7 days to Die will get old, but right now it's fun and challenging. It's all about using strategy to stay alive and I am not sure if it is entirely possible to win but we are trying as a guild and that is fun. Its basically conan with no bugs and the game tries to wipe you every 7 days. I prefer games on hard mode.

I scavenge buildings and clear them of zombies. Grabbing loot and resources to bring back to base while not getting encumbered or killed. We were on foot but then got bikes, and now we have 1 motorcycle and 1 Jeep.

I did make a character on Conan PVE-C server 1516. It’s a pretty busy server. PVE-C means open world PvP but no base destruction. Since there is no base destruction, it’s hard to find a place to build when starting out. Although I think hanging base area is free. I started to build in the jungle. Only been on a couple times to collect some stone, wood, iron and then log off. I’d like to head towards Sepermeru sometime and see if there’s a place to build so I can hunt for some thralls there. I love that city although loot is not as good as up north at the Nord city. Ran into a noob when I was a noob (which I still am). We both stared at eachother then I attacked him with my stone spear. He ran away.
(02-29-2020, 03:40 PM)AnneWildcat Wrote: I did make a character on Conan PVE-C server 1516. It’s a pretty busy server. PVE-C means open world PvP but no base destruction.  Since there is no base destruction, it’s hard to find a place to build when starting out. Although I think hanging base area is free. I started to build in the jungle.  Only been on a couple times to collect some stone, wood, iron and then log off. I’d like to head towards Sepermeru sometime and see if there’s a place to build so I can hunt for some thralls there. I love that city although loot is not as good as up north at the Nord city. Ran into a noob when I was a noob (which I still am). We both stared at eachother then I attacked him with my stone spear. He ran away.

hrm... the problem still is the hack doesn't revolve around base destruction.  So, you still might be vulnerable to that kind of PvP cheating.  I was wondering about a moderated RP-PvP server though hosted by other players.