Android already surpasses iPhone
Are you the guy on the left Grieve?

Nah, I'm the guy on the right:

[Image: Steve-and-Woz-apple-41169_440_329.jpg]
Ex SWG, L2, CoH, Wow, and War
Currently PvPing in the stock market
Vanraw Wrote:Ok Grieve, so what Im reading here, is you have a iPad, your wife has a ipad, you have a iphone and are buying a iphone4. Im going to jump at an assumption that your wife has a iphone as well .p/

Dude, you can not single handily prop up the stock on your own!!!

He's not. My wife and I also have iPads. I have an iPhone and my wife just inherited my "old" iPhone to use as an ipod touch. I'll be buying my 6yr old an iPod touch for christmas this year instead of a new DS. It makes economic sense..

Nintendo 3DS will likely be around $150, and games are $20-$30 each. iPod Touch is around $200 and games are Free to $3.99 (for the ones my kid enjoys) and can be used on up to 5 devices legally, meaning I don't need to pay for ones I already own.

BTW, my wife gets my "old" 3G iPhone because I just got the new iPhone 4 today.
Rizxen - Master of Clones
Riz Wrote:Nintendo 3DS will likely be around $150, and games are $20-$30 each. iPod Touch is around $200 and games are Free to $3.99 (for the ones my kid enjoys) and can be used on up to 5 devices legally, meaning I don't need to pay for ones I already own.
That was exactly our reasoning. Our 7yo wanted a DS, but the games are ridiculously expensive compared to AppStore games (and I think the AppStore games are better).
Veraphim Wrote:Actually he just can't stand to be outside in the sun. His British lineage doesn't allow him to survive in temperatures above 70 degrees =)

Lol
[should not have shot the dolphin]
Quote:That was exactly our reasoning. Our 7yo wanted a DS, but the games are ridiculously expensive compared to AppStore games (and I think the AppStore games are better).

We can only hope that parents everywhere are creating an entire traumatized generation who'll hate Apple products because, as a kid, all they ever wanted was a Nintendo DS.

It reminds me of when I was a kid and wanted a pair of Nikes. My mom bought me a pair of those Kmart knock-offs with the upside down swoosh instead. I really learn to hate Kmart.
Moristans: err

What the f*** Skelas - I know this is NSFW, but I coudn't watch this at work...

-Orsun
No shit, wanting the game system all your friends have and getting another is the 2010 equivilent to wanting a red rider bb gun and getting the bunny pajamas instead..
Actually, all his friends want an iPod touch. DS is kind of lame to the average 6yr old these days. Adding 3D isn't going to make it much better from their perspective.
Yup, we gave her the choice, she went with the iPod Touch. Her friends with DSes all want one too, now.
You guys are in a cult and need intervention.

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://uncyclopedia.wikia.com/wiki/Cult_of_Apple">http://uncyclopedia.wikia.com/wiki/Cult_of_Apple</a><!-- m -->
Maul, the Bashing Shamie

"If you want to change the world, be that change."
--Gandhi

[Image: maull2.gif]
Vanraw Wrote:You guys are in a cult and need intervention.

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://uncyclopedia.wikia.com/wiki/Cult_of_Apple">http://uncyclopedia.wikia.com/wiki/Cult_of_Apple</a><!-- m -->

If only you knew the true power of the iOS. Join me, and together we can end this senseless conflict, and bring order to Off Topic forum...

[Image: joinme02.jpg]
Well, I may be in a cult, but I think we can all agree that the evidence STRONGLY supports that the title of this thread is laughable. BTW, it's looking like Apple sold 1.5 MILLION phones yesterday alone. I wonder how many 10s of Android phones sold yesterday...
The original article was about androids increasing marketshare, which is hardly laughable or insignificant - even if apple is the clear leader. Although yes, the thread title is misleading.

I do wonder, however, how mayn iphone 4.0 are converts and how many are loyal apple fanbois shelling out cash for their next incremental upgrade.
23% of sales were new users. 77% were renewables. This is according to AT&T. That in itself says that even in Market Share, that 3 month span was a meaningless blip.
I wouldn't say meaningless, its fairly obvious that iphone was going to do well when they release a new product to all the suckers, but this attitude that it will forever be the only phone that matters is quite silly. Over here they have been quite widespread.

I'm sure in a year when iphone 4 is no longer the hype and some new sexy android product is released there will be another "meaningless blip."

Or it could be some other product, other OSes have dissapated quite quickly as well.
Jakensama Wrote:I do wonder, however, how mayn iphone 4.0 are converts and how many are loyal apple fanbois shelling out cash for their next incremental upgrade.
Yes, it's important to note that Apple selling 1.5 million phones does not mean 1.5 million new iPhone owners. Mostly it seems to mean that 1.5 million people just upgraded their existing iPhone.

Whereas a million Android phones sold is pretty much a million new users, since it's a new OS.
Slamz Wrote:
Jakensama Wrote:I do wonder, however, how mayn iphone 4.0 are converts and how many are loyal apple fanbois shelling out cash for their next incremental upgrade.
Yes, it's important to note that Apple selling 1.5 million phones does not mean 1.5 million new iPhone owners. Mostly it seems to mean that 1.5 million people just upgraded their existing iPhone.

Whereas a million Android phones sold is pretty much a million new users, since it's a new OS.

Reading is fundamental Slamz...I posted the known percentages of upgrade vs new. Roughly 350,000 NEW iphone users during ONLY yesterday. That's the minimum possible number, as some of the upgrades were probably of not-former iphone users just taking advantage of the upgrade pricing. That's DAY FRIGGIN ONE. I seriously doubt that there will be an Android release to match that EVER. Hell, I doubt any combination of Android phones can sell that in any given month.

Face it, the NPD was completely flawed. It's like that Forrester group idiot who claimed that iPads would sell only 2.5 million in the first year TWO WEEKS AFTER APPLE ANNOUNCED selling 3 million in 80 days. She has upped it to 3.5 million because OBVIOUSLY, nobody else will buy one.

Show me something real that supports your argument, as I have done for mine. If you can't, have the grace to admit defeat.
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://blogs.wsj.com/digits/2010/06/23/googles-android-160000-devices-a-day/">http://blogs.wsj.com/digits/2010/06/23/ ... ces-a-day/</a><!-- m -->

Quote:One of the most surprising bits of news to emerge from the Motorola Droid X launch was the announcement that 160,000 new devices running on Google’s Android software are going into service every day.

Yes, thats a couple 10s of devices there.
Apple vs Microsoft all over again. 1 manufacturer for the Apple OS versus dozens of manufacturer's for their competitor's OS.

I heard the Barnes and Noble "Nook" reader uses the Android OS, for example. It's not Apple versus Motorola, it's them as the sole supporter of their OS versus a horde of device manufacturers who are going to be using Android.
I'm done with this whole discussion. Jake posts a fairly pathetic comparison of devices sold to somehow "prove" his point (which actually supports mine stronger), and Slamz provided yet more non-data and unsupported opinion.

I'm walking away because frankly, I like to have educated discussions, and in this case, all I get from the opposing side is conjecture. I blame the media in letting people believe that a debate can actually be held and won by somebody just because they are more bull-headed or loud.
good time to bow out. 160,000 per day is 1.6 million in 10 days, or nearly 5 million per month.

1.5 million phones in one day is a hell of a lot, sure, but if that number ends up being 90% of the entire month's sales, then they're falling behind. Apple is going to have to continue making strong sales to keep up.

-ken
New World: Snowreap
Life is Feudal: Snowreap Iggles, Taralin Iggles, Preyz Iggles
Naval Action: Taralin Snow, Snowy Iggles
EQ2: Snowreap, Yellowtail, Taralin, Disruption, Preyz, Taralynne, Snowy, Snowz
ESO: Snowreap, Yellowtail
PS2: Snowreap
GW2: Snowreap, Yellowtail, Preyz, Taralin, Taralynne
RIFT: Snowreap, Yellowtail, Preyz, Taralin, Snowy
PotBS (British): Taralin Snow, Taralynne Snow, Snowy Iggles, Edward Snow
PotBS (Pirate): Taralin Snowden, Taralynne Snowden, Redshirt Snowden
WW2O: Snowreap
WAR: Snowreap, Preyz, Lbz, Leadz, Snowz, Taralin, Snowmeltz, Yellowtail, Snowbankz
APB: Snowreap, Sentenza
STO: Snowreap@Snowreap, Snowz@Snowreap
AoC: Yellowtail, Snowreap, Snowstorm, Redshirt
WoW (Horde): Snowreap, Savagery, Baelzenun, Wickedwendy, Taralin, Disruption, Scrouge, Bette
WoW (Alliance): Yellowtail, Wickedwendy, Snowreap
AC1: Snowstorm, Yellowtail, Shirt Ninja, Redshirt
Most of my conjecture is based on Apple's business model. I think Apple's business model is good for Apple. By staying proprietary, they guarantee that no competitor can push them out with a slightly different version of the exact same product. For example, Motorola could be pushed out by another manufacturer making another phone using the same Android OS, just as IBM lost the desktop market to other PC manufacturers.

Apple doesn't have to worry about that type of competition because the only company making the iPhone is Apple.

They then rely on a strong marketing campaign to keep their proprietary stuff relevant and to keep the brand name fires stoked. They don't dominate markets, but they do well enough while their non-proprietary competitors come and go (what PC manufacturer, other than Apple, from the DOS 2.11 days is even still alive and still producing PCs? That's the strength of Apple's business model.)

So basically I don't think the iPhone will dominate in the long run because I don't think that's ever been Apple's game plan. They will take a small, long lasting proprietary market share rather than engage in a general shootout like Android device makers are going to be doing.
Slamz Wrote:They don't dominate markets

Erm, iPod?
Riz Wrote:I Jake posts a fairly pathetic comparison of devices sold to somehow "prove" his poind.

I waas actually simply posting it because you said "Hell, I doubt any combination of Android phones can sell that in any given month."

Grieve Wrote:Erm, iPod?

Surprisingly, they dominate in the sector where they actually make the best product Wink
Slamz Wrote:I heard the Barnes and Noble "Nook" reader uses the Android OS, for example. It's not Apple versus Motorola, it's them as the sole supporter of their OS versus a horde of device manufacturers who are going to be using Android.
http://techlogg.com/2010/06/global-e-boo...1-2010/854
Total global sales of ALL brands of e-readers were 1.43 million in Q1, including Kindle, Nook, and many others. The iPad sold 3 million by itself in less than a quarter, at a much higher price.

You yourself own a kindle, incidently, which is itself a proprietary O/S.